Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-08-06, 09:49 PM   #1
dixie_outfitter06
BassFishin.Com Member

Default winter bass fishing

hello everyone im from virgina and i love bass fishing but this year im trying something new, fishing in the winter months. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on what some good types of bait are and techniques on using them ...............thanx for your time
dixie_outfitter06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 09:51 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

It depends on the water temperature, but the two main baits I go with are a jig-n-pig and a suspending jerkbait. The colder the water the slower you fish.
Old 11-08-06, 10:13 PM   #3
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you fish a Virginia lake like Smith i would add a couple of baits to Rebs list. One is the blade bait such as the Bullet or Silver Buddy, These are good once the water is below 50. Another is the common hair jig in 1/8 to 1/4 with a pork trailor. On the suspended jerk bait if your lake is as clear as the mountain lakes here in East Tennessee try a long billed deep diving suspended jerk bait. I preferr the Smithwick Rogue. Last year when the water was between 52 and 48 we killed the smallies by casting the deep jerk bait parralell to bluffs along the main river channel. Locally a lot of guys like a Float n Fly when the temps are below 45. This does catch a lot of suspended smallmouth. It is also a boring way to fish. One day last winter I caught a limit of 18 + smallies on a Silver Buddy from 20 to 30 feet of water. This is my lure of choice in frigid water, Just dont over work the bait and stay in constant contact with it.I primarily fish Norris which is an embayment of the Clinch River. the Clinch originates in Va,Rember that bass preferr to make horizontal movements on cold water more that lateral ones. Steeper banks that are 45 degrees or more will often be where the mother load is.
Hope this helps. Fish2win
Old 11-08-06, 11:07 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 11:48 AM   #5
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

welcome to the forum! try a dropshotted 4'' finesse worm,or try a buzzbait or rattletrap.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 12:54 PM   #6
JB

fishewin,
try the tungston silverbuddy sometime, they are heavier and less size per weight..at brookville right now they are getting walleye on them at 40 ft deep. Might come in handy for smallies your way if they are looking for a smaller profile bait
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 08:01 PM   #7
dixie_outfitter06
BassFishin.Com Member

thanx to everyone for your post. Me and a freind of mine are going to try a turnament in north carolina december 3 at Belews Lake, i havent even herd of it till a couple of weeks ago but all the locals say its a great place to catch large mouth. The speak firmly on the carolina rig but im big on summer and fall fishing using spinners and top water lures and the basic soft plastics not to familur with the carolina rig but ive been studying up on it and it seems pretty simple (What kind of luck have you had on carolina riging?)we checked the lake out last weekend and the water was very clear the banks came out about 3 to 6 feet in about 2 to 3 feet of water and droped quickly to 20 to 30 feet. What do you recomend?.............thanx to everyone for the help and good luck
dixie_outfitter06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 08:28 PM   #8
zooker

ahh belews-pronounced (blues)- a winter favorite. spinner bait being my favorite just got to foget the laydowns and fish the rip rap shad raps or dt6 in shad color kick..

dixie ya need to fill out the rest of your profile..

zooker
Old 11-09-06, 10:11 PM   #9
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Where in VA are you?

I will fish according to my conditions, muddier/stained water, I will be throwing an all white (blades too) spinnerbait. In clear water, I'll be throwing a X-Rap, or a Smokin' Shad colored Zoom Super Fluke. You might try C-rigging these. I will throw a hair jig with a craw trailer under any conditions.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 08:33 AM   #10
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks JB I will check those out.if you can fish a 1/8 or 3/16 that is the size of the 1/2 it would have to payoff with a bigger bite.Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.