Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-11-07, 04:46 PM   #1
CAHughes
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Sight Fishing???

Leaving for Amistad on Thursday for the 1st tourney of the year. I have never sight fished and am looking for some pointers. I am the co-angler with my husband at the helm of the boat. He's pretty good and locating where the fish are and he knows pretty much what he's doing but I want to get information from others as well.. Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance...
CAHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 04:51 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Get some good polorized sunglasses and look for dark objects in the water.
Last year most of my pre spawn site fishing was looking at bass about 2-5 feet away from the bank.
The more you look at the water at any depth with good sunglasses the better off you'll be at spotting objects bass can relate to.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 04:56 PM   #3
CAHughes
BassFishin.Com Member

I do have a pair of polarized sunglasses, the lenses are amber colored. Should I get another pair with a different color lense??
Old 02-11-07, 05:35 PM   #4
JB

nope amber is fine, esp good on overcast days for me..I used to wear amber lenses all season.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 08:06 PM   #5
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I am heading to amistad on March 3rd. The water is really clear, and sight fishing is great. I have had luck using flukes, weightless senkos, and pretty much any soft plastic sight fishing here.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 09:13 PM   #6
lizardsrule

You will more than likely catch the buck bass first. If it's at all possible, put it in the livewell. This will keep him from returning to the nest, which will bring out momma for ya.

Lizards
Old 02-11-07, 10:05 PM   #7
zooker

i loath bed fishing.. but when i am forced to i use a tiny bush hog on a jig head.. trust me if they have been messed with it is very hard to get a biter.. i went thru 5 differant colored tinys before on just one fish.. watch them if they move the bait they wont touch anything in that color again..

zooker
Old 02-12-07, 12:33 AM   #8
Rebbasser

CA, use a bright colored bait so you can see it. That way if you don't feel the hit but you see your bait disappear you can het the hook.
Old 02-12-07, 12:53 AM   #9
Super Fluke

I sight fish a lot.
Super Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 01:44 AM   #10
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

CAHughes, you don't sight fish on AH during April??? What??

Anyway, sunglasses you have are excellent, I use amber oakleys and they are the best I've ever used.

I normally look for the beds not fish. Beds are generally on rocky or pebble banks since sand will move. They are generally a cleared out area that is clearly different from the areas surrounding them. They are normally whiter then their surroundings. They are usually about 1-2' across and once you find them you will usually find fish. Also, look on the shore side of trees a rocks.

I hate seeing people during the spawn with a rod in there hand just driving around looking!! Not only are they waisting time, they generally miss beds. I always am fishing when on the boat. I fish a hard (4" rattling roag in clown pattern) or soft (super fluke usually white or shad pattern) jerk bait as a search bait. I fish em' in the shallows where the fish are supposed to be bedding. I fan cast the area with one of these baits watching the bait the whole time. 50% of the time I will have a bass following the bait. Although he may not hit it (caught some big fish doing this looking for big fish on beds, though) I can watch him swim back to his bed and hopefully to his pregnant wife.

One other way you can get an edge is to get an elevated platform on your boat. I'm sure you've seen the guys at AH with the coolers or extra decks on the top of their normal deck in order to get higher above the water to look down through the water more effectively. Although I don't really agree with it and don't do it (mainly because I just haven't gotten around to building me an extra deck), those guys can find beds in a little deeper water where there are generally bigger fish. I've seen guys using 10' ladders on their boats for this and others using coolers. Some tourneys now don't allow them, some do, check with yours if you plan on doing it.

There are many different techniques and suggestions that people will tell you. I have sight fished alot and have found no one way that will always catch fish. There are some that work better more of the time but you will not have one bait that will always catch bedders, especially on a lake like Amsted where they are heavily pressured this time of year. These fish have seen alot of lures and are very bright. I have thrown my entire arsenal at a fish and spent hours on it only to come up empty. On others, I have caught em' on the first dip. The technique I use has proven the most effective way to thoroughly piss of a fish on a bed IMO: I usually start out throwing a white 5" drop shot senko with a died chartruse tail. Why died tail because it is easier to spot in the water and because it imitates a sunfish's tail. I use the biggest hook I can (5/O ultra point in the senkos, up to 8/O in large tubes) to ensure I get a good hook set. Also generally use 20 lb big game and a heavy rod. If I can't get em on that I will go to a huge white brush hog, then to a big mad man craw (of course, white) all on drop shot. I throw a drop shot because it allows me to put a bait right into the bed and give it action without moving the bait away from the target. From there I down size and begin fishing more subtle soft plastics, again, all drop shotted. Usually end with a big ugly j N p. If by then I haven't caught them, I back way way off to where I can't even see them any more, then throw a subtle drop shot 3" june bug brush hog or 4" straight tail worm. Let it set in the bed for a long time them just shake it a little, that's generally when I get a bite. Also, put the bait in different spots in the bed. Give it different action: leave it there and don't move it then just pop it; or dance it with your rod tip very eratic. Many different presentations with many different action is the one key to getting bit.

Like I said before, IMHO there is no bait that will always catch a bedding fish but this is just the most effective way I have found to thoroughly anger a fish into biting your plastic!!

I hope this helps, good luck in the tourney and I hope to see you guys on the lake this spring!

Tight lines,

Jolly

PS - sorry for the length, I'm just ready for the SPAWN!!
Old 02-12-07, 01:58 AM   #11
CAHughes
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the information guys.. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch a bigger fish than all the guys that I fish with.. Last season I had the largest bass of the season. This will be the first year the KD and I have bass fished the entire season. This is something that we have only recently gotten into, have fished my whole life but not with plastics until this past year.. So far I have really enjoyed it and have learned a great deal, especially from you guys...
Old 02-12-07, 04:29 AM   #12
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Fluke View Post
I sight fish a lot.
Well, isn't that special?!?!?!

What, exactly, does that contribute to this thread

FR

PS: I Phart a lot. Isn't THAT special?

Last edited by FlyRod; 02-12-07 at 04:43 AM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 10:45 AM   #13
skeeter944

Rotflmao FlyRod! I like pre-spawn fishing better than sight fishing but when I need to sight fish,I use tubes and lizards t-rigged with a 1/2 ounce weight pegged.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 01:56 PM   #14
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Well, isn't that special?!?!?!

What, exactly, does that contribute to this thread

FR

PS: I Phart a lot. Isn't THAT special?
ROFLMAO I think he is just trying to get his post count up. As if it matters how many posts you have. LOL
Old 02-12-07, 09:08 PM   #15
zooker

nope it sure don't though someone keeps wantin me to add a manure spreader in my sig..i use at other sites

zooker
Old 02-12-07, 10:00 PM   #16
flfireman

Ive found a slow rolled, dragging the bottom spinnerbait works well. The slower the better. With a spinnerbait, If the fish tries to move it I can usually pop him/her w/ a quick hookset. Have watched some fish just push it with their noses, no chance at getting a hookset.
Old 02-12-07, 11:39 PM   #17
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

I dont care what everyone says. A BRIGHT pink tube is best for bedding bass. Its not that these fish want to eat it. Theyre just looking to clean out the nest. Find a nest, drop it in there lightly...and when u see that big bright pink thing disappear set the hook.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 05:09 PM   #18
CAHughes
BassFishin.Com Member

Well! A cold front moved in while I was at Amistad and I did not catch one dang fish... KD caught three on Friday, which didn't count for the tournament, one on Saturday, and none on Sunday. The guy that won our small club tournament won with about 9 1/2 pounds. KD is going back mid-March with his brother for our club, maybe they'll do better....Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.