Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-28-07, 03:17 AM   #1
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2
Question Powell Rods

I just recieved a brochure on them, and I wanted to know if any one has purchased one or tried one. T.N.Advance
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 11:04 AM   #2
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

They are pretty popular out here on the west coast, but I think that is a due to a combination of good marketing and being new more than it is a result of being a better rod. I've held them, fished with a couple of them, and talked to several of their pro-staff, and I think there are better rods out there for the money. Several of the pro-staff guys went on about how they are lighter and better than Loomis IMX, and how they loved them and wouldn't use another rod and on and on and so forth. The spinning rods may be approaching that level of feel and quality(I only fished a couple bait casters), but the casting rods are not anywhere close to being comparable. That's not to say they are bad, because at their price point, they are fine rods. I would stack them up against a Lmiglas Certified Pro series and have a hard time chosing which to take home.

If you want a really nice rod (better than the Powells IMO) for a little less money, take a look at the Shimano Crucial lineup. They run anywhere from $130-150 and are built with quality components and have a lifetime free over the counter rplacement waranty. That is something that just can't be beat.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 11:31 AM   #3
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

totally agree with the shimano crucial line....i have one that i fish with religously.....i have an shimano mg 50 on it....it's so light you wouldn't believe....i could cast all day and never get tired....excellent rod......

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.