Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-27-07, 11:45 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default So many plastics, so little room

I am sortting out all my tackle and choosing what stays and what goes, all that kind of fun stuff. Organizing as best I can while I am at it. I just counted my bags of plastics. Everything from tubes and worms to beavers and creature baits and so on. Anyways, I have 37 bags of plastics. Not sure if thats a lot compared to some of the guys in here. I'm just trying to decide how to haul them around with me. I have too many to fit into my box, which is a large box. The Phantom Pro from Plano. I just have too damn much stuff. I was thinking about getting a soft sided bag like a water proof duffle bag or something to carry them around in. I keep all my plastics in their original bags sealed. That way they won't dry up and loose their scent. I would also like to have some way to keep them organized so as to not have to dig through the pile to find that one bag that I KNOW is in there somewhere. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I have a 12 foot jonboat, so there are no compartments to store them in like with a bass boat.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 12:13 AM   #2
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I use a rubbermaid storage bin. Not sure exactly of the dimensions, but it holds a lot of bags of soft plastics, somewhere between 200 and 300 full bags. It's probably about 18" wide x 36" long x 6" tall. That would probably fit between the seats in your jon boat. I duct-taped a piece of cardboard in there longways as a separator and put in more cardboard separators with labels on them to keep the baits organized. Works well for me and it cost less than $5.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 12:23 AM   #3
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

i got 34 bags of soft plastics and i can squeeze them into a 1 gallon zip loc bag, but my mom found this little bag at work a little bigger than a ziploc bag that went to a little dog crate that the buyer left and she gave it to me so i shoved my plastic in there and got a lil room to spare, so something about the size of a 1 gallon ziploc bag will fit your stuff or also try a soft cooler that can hold i think a six pack might work.
Old 02-28-07, 12:49 AM   #4
mymomisbecky

Here is what I did this year for my plastics.
This is no lie, I have over 200 bags of plastics. About 100 bags of which are my own baits that I pour, the other half are bought.
What ive done now is take about 3-4 from each bag and put them in the worm binders. I have condensed to 3 binders, which is good... I figure if I pack 3-4 of everything, that is enough for that day.
I put the rest in a tub and keep it in my truck, just in case I really really get in to a bait one day.

I think its a pretty solid idea. May interest some of you folks
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 08:16 AM   #5
keithdog

These are all some prety great ideas. K-Driz, did you drill some holes in that Runnermaid box for ventilation so the bags don't get too warm on hot sunny summer days?
Old 02-28-07, 08:32 AM   #6
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i use gallon bags with smaller bags inside them . i write what it is on th outside of the bag. i have about 40 bags of soft plastics.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 09:27 AM   #7
mymomisbecky

i also use this. it is a fantastic system
http://www.easyviewtackle.com/
Old 02-28-07, 10:34 AM   #8
bassbooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymomisbecky View Post
i also use this. it is a fantastic system
http://www.easyviewtackle.com/

OMG!!! Not those things again!!! I thought we had finally seen the last of those!!!!
Old 02-28-07, 10:37 AM   #9
mymomisbecky

I guess I wasnt around when it was first talked about.
Is there something wrong with them I should know about? Ive had the sytem for 2 years and love it.
Old 02-28-07, 10:45 AM   #10
links_man2

I use the soft sided Academy bags for all my hard baits and soft plastics. I have two of the Academy bags that each come with 4 of the Plano like 3700 boxes---can also fit an additional thinner box in it. It has a large pocket on each end and a side pocket. I have another slightly larger bag with 4 3700's, an old soft sided leather briefcase that holds 4 3700's and one smaller soft sided duffle bag that holds 4 of the smaller Plano boxes. I use a "permanent" felt tip marker to ID what each box has. I found I can erase the "permanent" marker from the smooth plastic with "Goof Off" or "OOPS".

While the majority of my boxes are the Plano 3700 type, I have some of the Falcon specialty boxes I like. Have one falcon for worm weights/hooks and another for spinner baits. Also like the new Plano boxes that have angled slip in dividers. These make storing cranks and top waters easier---these are 3770 and 3771 boxes, one is deeper than the other.

I have 18 of the larger 3700 style boxes and 4 of the smaller 3600 style boxes. Probably 14 of the 18 large boxes are for soft plastics. I leave all soft plastics in their original bags. As far as heat, I have never had a problem with it even here in West Texas. Store the duffle bags in the garage when not fishing. I like the soft sided duffle bags much better than any hard tackle boxes or worm boxes I have had.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 11:53 AM   #11
bassbooger

Quote:
I guess I wasnt around when it was first talked about.
Is there something wrong with them I should know about? Ive had the sytem for 2 years and love it.
There isn't anything wrong with them. Just that the guy who supposedly invented them was always on here and couldn't go 2 days without posting an ad for them. Plus, anytime someone mentioned storing tackle, he would throw in an ad for them. It was quite annoying.
Old 02-28-07, 12:22 PM   #12
mymomisbecky

ok, yeah, i feel ya there.
Hey about my plastics just kidding.
I couldnt stand that.. I just found that system through Bassboatcentral.
Old 02-28-07, 05:26 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

i am with skeeter...i use gallon ziploc bags, to seperate lizards from tubes and so on. then write on each bag whats type is in it. that way it's easy to find the style you want, and you can set a single ziploc bag on the deck of your boat and it's not in your way. works well for me anyways.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 05:51 PM   #14
bassinbob

I probably have about 40 bags of different kinds of toads. I keep them in two soft bags. I have around 100 or so other plastics that I keep in a rubbermaid tub. Sometimes I'll throw the whole tub in the boat or just take what I think I'll need for that day. I need another small bag for shakey fishing. Those little bags are good because they have pockets for hooks and other necessities.

Bob
Old 02-28-07, 08:06 PM   #15
jmh_ottawa
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i am with skeeter...i use gallon ziploc bags, to seperate lizards from tubes and so on. then write on each bag whats type is in it. that way it's easy to find the style you want, and you can set a single ziploc bag on the deck of your boat and it's not in your way. works well for me anyways.
I have to agree I also use ziploc bags and seperate baits by style... I used to use plano's and while it's the most tidy way to store baits you're limited to what fits in a box.

It boils down to what works best for you. I like the fact i can write on the bag what baits are what.. and i'd bet i'd need double the space of what the ziplocs take.
jmh_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 08:40 PM   #16
lizardsrule

I'm not sure anyone would believe me on how many bags of plastics I have, and I don't even know for sure, but no one listed so far is even close to me, even the bait maker, rotflmao. Keith this is a similiar version of a couple of binders I have. I got rid of the rings and pages, and just stuff them in till I can barely zip it close, then I stuff a few more bags in LOL.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Rebasser put me onto these, and they do hold quite a few bags, in their original packages. This is not the exact brand or ones I have, but it's all I could find on BPS's site.

Lizards
Old 02-28-07, 09:36 PM   #17
keithdog

Hey guys, this has been a great responce. So many good ideas have been suggested. I have a lot of thoughts swirlling around about what I am going to do. I have to consider the amount of room in my jonboat, and so on. Thanks for the great advice.
Old 02-28-07, 10:46 PM   #18
links_man2

Keith--You need to start thinking about another all be it smaller only 8-20 ft (for now) jonboat to tote the baits. Only question then would be how do you tow 2 boats---double decker or just in tandem? Think about it, jonboat takle box!
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 07:58 PM   #19
keithdog

What a great idea!!! Maybe set up like a double decker bus, only with jon boats. HAHAHA
Old 03-02-07, 08:22 PM   #20
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
These are all some prety great ideas. K-Driz, did you drill some holes in that Runnermaid box for ventilation so the bags don't get too warm on hot sunny summer days?
Nah, just because it doesn't have a seal around the lip. Just the ends clip down and I suppose the air is able to escape. Haven't had any trouble with it yet. Probably gonna have to get another box just because my current one is about to explode with all the plastics in there.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 11:47 AM   #21
bassnman30

Just take one or two boxes and put your favorite colors in these boxes. I.e best color worms, best color lizards, etc..These will hold all the baits that you might need in a day. Try to use the best colors that have worked in the past. I personnaly like two or three different colors and thats it. Eliminates confusion of picking the right colors and or sizes.
Remember, confidence is the key. The other guy may be catching fish on a different color but as long as you stick with your favorites then you may stand just a good of a chance due to the confidence in your baits.
Old 03-04-07, 07:54 PM   #22
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnman30 View Post
The other guy may be catching fish on a different color but as long as you stick with your favorites then you may stand just a good of a chance due to the confidence in your baits.
If he is catching fish on a different color and I am getting skunked, the color is changing ASAP.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 08:01 PM   #23
JB

thats fer sure! I don't know how many times during the training grounds at the gravel pit a certain color lizards outshined any other tenfold....its a good thing to come prepared with a handful of colors of the same bait, esp. plastics...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 08:34 PM   #24
zooker

Quote:
ok, yeah, i feel ya there.
Hey about my plastics just kidding.
I couldnt stand that.. I just found that system through Bassboatcentral.
yep that is were the yahoo went to after we ran him off.. most use figure if you are telling us about your product while showing how to use it -blah blah blah...- plus posting other useful stuff as you are, your fine.

but the goofball in question never posted useful stuff just blam here's my system and no other USEFUL post-it got VERY old fast- and we basicly run him off..

i have no personal problem with bbc -being a member my self-as it is a handy tech site.

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.