Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-10, 11:43 AM   #26
Roko
BassFishin.Com Member

I have 3 castaic and I enjoy them. The only down side is that the reel is a little big.
Roko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 05:12 PM   #27
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
The Viento does this? Great! I had already snagged a used Viento off ebay for $85 this morning for tubes, jigs, and T-rigging. Now I can see if I like the Daiwa thumb bar approach too before making any decisions.
That's a great deal nofear! A Viento would look GREAT the you St. Croix LE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roko View Post
I have 3 castaic and I enjoy them. The only down side is that the reel is a little big.
Big as in heavy, or large profile
Old 01-26-10, 09:42 AM   #28
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
+1 on the Castaic. Or if you want to spend just a few more bucks look at the Shimano Quickfire which is the Japan version of the Castaic. The Quickfire is the only Shimano reel I own, as there is nothing else like it on the market. I use right hand reels and the thumb bar engages the reel without turning the handle - which I really like - should I be a little slow getting the rod transferred to other hand, or when flipping I sometimes don't change hands unless I get bit.

The picture is a lefty, buy you can get an idea.
I have two Castaic 201's and the Quickfire. Quickfire hands down.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 10:16 AM   #29
Roko
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
That's a great deal nofear! A Viento would look GREAT the you St. Croix LE!

Big as in heavy, or large profile
It's large profile specially if I compare it with my curado's.
Roko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 10:25 AM   #30
nofearengineer

Hmm....Oddly enough, I tried this on all of my Revo's as well, and it works on them too. Maybe all modern baitcasters do this?
Old 01-28-10, 10:50 AM   #31
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Hmm....Oddly enough, I tried this on all of my Revo's as well, and it works on them too. Maybe all modern baitcasters do this?
If you're talking about the pushing up on the thumber, then no, not all of them do it. MY Johnny Morris reel does not, neither does my dad's BPS reel. I don't even think the Skt Revo does. Maybe it's a new thing for the Revos. I'm prettu sure my Citica doesn't do it either.

lol, leave it up do shimano to market something like that as a high end feature.

BB
Old 01-28-10, 10:58 AM   #32
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a Citica and a Curado, neither of them do it but all my Daiwas do. The Shimano's thumb bars are only supported on one side where the Daiwas are supported on both.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 12:39 PM   #33
NTW
BassFishin.Com Member

So the new Ardents are junk? Seems like the perfectly designed reel for pitching. I know they look funny but I am intrigued by the drag setting and narrow spool and want to buy one.

I've never owned an Ardent and really have no opinion on the brand. Anyone have experience with one?
Old 02-02-10, 02:17 PM   #34
nova385

The thumb bar on the 09 Quantum Energys, Catalyst, Code all do this but the thumb bar sets so low when depressed I can hardly get my thumb under it. All my Daiwas do this also anf the thumb bar sets A LOT higher in the reel.
Also the quantum Code has a flippin switch.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 07:18 PM   #35
g_rigor
BassFishin.Com Member

I have 5 quantum accurists and they work great. I haven't seen them for sale new anymore, but you can get a good deal on them on e-bay. Also the KVD model from BPS is exactly like it and it also has a flippin switch. A friend of mine has one and it is a really smooth reel.
g_rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 02:59 PM   #36
danielbasspro

Aint there a kvd reel with a flippin switch?
Old 02-07-10, 11:31 PM   #37
nofearengineer

Quote:

Oops, I guess I was lying. I shouldn't have said "all my Revos." What I should have said was "it works on my Silver Max reels." Which is interesting that it should be something that works on a cheapie reel, and not on a higher-end reel. One might wonder if this is another bit of hype about a feature that isn't all that great.
Old 02-08-10, 12:26 AM   #38
Jrob78

Quote:
One might wonder if this is another bit of hype about a feature that isn't all that great.
I would say yes on the thumb bar feature, I've used it once I think. A flipping switch is alot different.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 12:30 AM   #39
Rebbasser

Nofear, I use the Accurist and have been very pleased with it. Granted, I don't flip/pitch much, but the Accurist is a great reel. Not bad on the price, either. You can often find close outs and get a great deal. I've got 3-4 of them I got on clearance.
Old 02-25-10, 10:11 AM   #40
gidkid66
BassFishin.Com Member

Bass Pro Extreame reels are professional quality at a low cost and has a model for most types of fishing including a reel with a flipping switch I own all and they are great.
I cleen reels and I do prefer Shimano but BP Extreame is close super well built.
gidkid66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 11:52 AM   #41
Garry2rs

There is a new blue version of the Ardent Flip/pitch reel. It was built with in-put from Denny Brauer, some of the features have been up graded.

I have two Ardent 1000's
They are very nice reels.
Recently I sent them to Pro Reel Service in Wichita Kansas for pro tuning...WOW...the best twenty bucks I ever spent on fishing tackle!

I also have two Accuratist's...not Pro-tuned yet.
The Flippin switch is okay, but I found it hard to get used to. I also bought a left handed Tour Edition PT when the blue ones were discontinued. This is a much tighter, smoother reel and I don't have to change hands. I personally find this easier than the flipping switch.

If this interests you, I think you can find plenty of good lefties on E-bay. Many spinning rod guys think they can't reel right handed, buy a lefty, then give up on baitcasting because they are working against themselves.
Garry2rs
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 12:42 PM   #42
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTW View Post
So the new Ardents are junk? Seems like the perfectly designed reel for pitching. I know they look funny but I am intrigued by the drag setting and narrow spool and want to buy one.

I've never owned an Ardent and really have no opinion on the brand. Anyone have experience with one?
I was looking into the F700 since it has a flipping switch and I talked to a couple of people that have them. They really like them and highly suggest the reel. I don't think I will get one though since it is only a right hander.

I'm still not convinced that the switch is a must though since like RichZ said I can't see changing the line out all of the time. Maybe my ideas will change once I do it a bit more.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 02:12 PM   #43
NTW
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the response. I checked the F500 version out and can't rationalize the price. It feels and has the features of a reel in the $100 range (or less?) Cool concept and it was easy to pitch with but not for the added money.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.