Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-06, 03:33 PM   #1
BassQualifier
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Ideas for fishing this situation

Hey guys, I have this lake I fish from shore a lot and this particularly lake has bass that hit just about anything - as long as it is a fast moving bait. They really don't like slow moving lures like worms, jigs, etc, but as far as lipless crankbaits, spinnerbaits and such, the bass nail em pretty good.

But much of this lakes shoreline where I walk and fish, is a rather steep and high bank. So when I make casts, most of the time I am at least 5 feet above the actual waterline. Sometimes even more than 5 feet. So I have had problems fishing fast moving lures because of the angle I am bringing in the lures. The lures just want to come to the surface and about halfway in on the retreive, they start popping out of the water. I tried using heavier spinnerbaits and crankbaits, but the fish like the smaller profile baits better since most of the fish are under 2lbs.

Any ideas how I can attack this? I'm open to anything. Thanks.
BassQualifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 08:02 PM   #2
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If the water is shallow I would just get a pair of waders. If not try getting a small boat.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 08:54 PM   #3
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It's hard to picture the exact situation in which you find yourself, but I wonder if you're in a position to lower the rod tip so that it's fairly even with the water even though you're above it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 09:15 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Add weight to your baits, like suspsend dots. Keeps the smaller profile, but the weighted bait will keep it deeper longer.

Lizards
Old 11-08-06, 09:48 PM   #5
Rebbasser

And if you are fishing sinking baits let them sink a little longer before you start the retrieve or slow it down slightly.
Old 11-08-06, 10:10 PM   #6
HulaPopr

Fish with weights, or angle your rod down if you could.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 10:17 PM   #7
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try a countdown bait like the Rapala Countdown or a heavy inline spinner, Even a 3/4 oz in line spinner is still a small profile and you can burn it without breaking the water, Fish2win
Old 11-08-06, 10:51 PM   #8
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

well chances are if the bank is steep the part underwater drops down aswell, so dont wade unless your absolutly sure its shallow enough. um you could you like a bottom bouncer type rig with a crankbait on it or a spinnerbait or whatnot. try using sinking lures and slow down your retrive a bit. i fish a few ponds like this and at most of them i can get closer to the water, you may have to walk further but your experience will be more enjoyable.
Old 11-09-06, 04:21 PM   #9
BassQualifier
BassFishin.Com Member

Some good suggestions. I did try adding some weight a couple feet up in front of the lure, but because of the trees and brush I have to stand in during casts, it really wasn't optimal as I couldn't get a solid cast and keep it from swinging into the brush around me.

I'll have to pick up some of those suspendots. I have found that even my heaviest of baits are riding to the surface far too soon to be as effective as they could be. I try to keep my rod down as much as possible.

A buddy of mine suggested using tungsten, since it is twice as small as lead per same weight. I'll let you know how I make out.
BassQualifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 09:40 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Some folks even get some thin lead wire, and wrap it around the hooks. That however hurts the action of cranks sometimes. Very excellent question by the way. I hope you figure it out.

Lizards
Old 11-09-06, 10:15 PM   #11
Vabass22

First of all, when you twitch your lures, you can twitch them with a downward(as opposed to upward) or sideways snap. I would thorw an X-Rap, or a Texas/weightless Super Fluke.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.