Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-19-07, 09:00 PM   #1
islandflyfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher
Default IGFA 2 lb Test

Is there a company that makes it? I am going for a 2 lb world record. I need to get a scale certified, and find some 2 lb that tests out.
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 09:08 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm sure there is, because thats the test line we use for ice fishing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 09:29 PM   #3
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

people use it for trout up here so yea they have it. im pretty sure trilene makes 2 pound test. go to a trout fishing store online, they should have it.
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 10:34 PM   #4
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

There is a brand that makes 2lb test that is called S.O.S., this stuff is great. We were catching white perch and I snagged this guy. I had to follow him around for 45 minutes before I could land him, but let me tell you......on 2lb test line, it sure was FUN!!!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 11:11 PM   #5
islandflyfisher

I want IGFA 2 lb test. I have 2 lb test, but just because the label says 2, doesn't mean that it will test out.

I know that Ande makes some Tournament line, but I can't find a spool at a decent price. At one place I looked on line, it was around $70 for a 1/4 pound spool! They are crazy. Another place had a 7 lb spool for about $370! I know it is out there at a decent price, but I just can't find it.
Old 02-19-07, 11:53 PM   #6
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
people use it for trout up here so yea they have it. im pretty sure trilene makes 2 pound test. go to a trout fishing store online, they should have it.

Guys,

The man said "IGFA" (International Game Fish Association). That means the line must be submitted for testing when a record for a particular line weight class is claimed. It must break at or below the stated test.
Regular line, regardless of make or test, will almost always break ABOVE the stated test.
Oddly, there are many IGFA line class records that seem strange. This is because, if you check the various records, there are many instances where a fish of a certain species, perhaps the rare Backward-swimming External Testicled Samoan Hooterfish , weighing 37.05 lbs, is a record for 10 lb. test (IGFA!) while the 15 lb. test record only weighed 13.30 lbs.
In recent years, the IGFA has begun to recognize freshwater records for given line classes.
If the box and spool don't state that the line is "IGFA" standard, then it ain't.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 02:21 AM   #7
islandbass

I was told that Ande mono was one line that is not overrated for its test and it's supposed break at its rated test. Good luck!
Old 02-20-07, 08:01 AM   #8
islandflyfisher

Ande just doesn't overtest as much as the rest, but it still overtests a little. Ande Tournament is an IGFA rated line that isn't supposed to overtest.
Old 02-20-07, 01:50 PM   #9
Raul

Ande Tournament is IGFA aproved line, problem is that I can´t find 2 lb test anywhere.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 05:21 PM   #10
flbassman

http://www.worldwidefishing.com/show...m?prod_id=5793

It's premium, not tournament, so it might overtest....and I've never used the site.....But it's the best I could do on short notice
Old 02-20-07, 07:23 PM   #11
zooker

ande tournament they do make 2 pound test..finding it is the hard part..

zooker
Old 02-20-07, 11:23 PM   #12
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
There is a brand that makes 2lb test that is called S.O.S., this stuff is great. We were catching white perch and I snagged this guy. I had to follow him around for 45 minutes before I could land him, but let me tell you......on 2lb test line, it sure was FUN!!!

been there done that!
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 11:50 PM   #13
islandflyfisher

How many pounds did it weigh?
Old 02-21-07, 09:53 PM   #14
islandflyfisher

I found a 1/4 pound spool for $35.15. I hope I can beat that though. It is like they are price gouging. Nobody else has it, so we pay more.
Old 02-21-07, 10:10 PM   #15
Christopherkeene9

It's not price gouging it's called supply and demand.

Why don't you contact ANDE yourself as they are local down there and they should be able to point you in the right direction to find the stuff!

Christopher
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 10:34 PM   #16
flbassman

Try a fly shop. Fly rodders pay more attention to line strength (they call it "tippet class") than just about any other fishermen.Unfortunately, they probably won't have a decent sized spool. Personally, I'd buy the 1/4 pound of ANDE. With two pound, you have almost no room for error, so I'd change a good bit of line after every nice fish. It'sexpensive, but if you get a record out of it, it'll be worth it.
Old 02-22-07, 02:45 PM   #17
Raul

You´re going to need the 1/4 pound spool, with 2 lb test which actually breaks at a little bit under 2 pounds there´s absolutely no margin for error, any nick or scratch sure damages line so thin easily so cutting long chunks of line is a must to maintain the integrity of the line, the line in the reel spool isn´t going to last much.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 03:12 PM   #18
zooker

1/4 pound spool of 2# probly has 5000 feet on it..

i know the 1 pound spool has 20,000 feet on it..-just in case ya want to load the 5/0 penn senater with it..

i make it a point not to buy the 1/4 pound spools.. i use 1/2 pound and up..

zooker
Old 02-22-07, 04:23 PM   #19
islandflyfisher

I sent a message to Ande a few days ago and no response. A local tackle shop can order for me and I think that is what I am going to end up doing.
In my opinion, it is price gouging when an 6 lb test 1/4 lb spool is $16, a 4 lb test is around $30, and the 2 is $50 (not $70, I read it wrong). The 2 lb test is actually allowed to break a little over 2 lbs (2.2 to be exact), but I don't know how it actually is since I don't have it yet.
Old 02-22-07, 04:46 PM   #20
flbassman

It would be price gouging if the day after a national disaster, everyone needed 2 pound tournament ande and they increased the price. This is just a way for Ande to make profit, since it probably costs about the same as 6-12 pound test to make, ship and sell, but a very small percentage of fishermen actually regularly use 2 pound test. It's sorta like buying organic food. Niche market=Higher prices in order for company to make a profit.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging
Old 02-22-07, 07:21 PM   #21
islandflyfisher

That makes more sense. I can see that. It cost them money to store it since less people use it and almost nobody stocks it. I was talking about the website that sold it for $50 + shipping. It still seems a little ridiculous to me though.

Last edited by islandflyfisher; 02-22-07 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 08:25 PM   #22
zooker

i have had my spool for quite a while.. ya sure don't go thru it very fast down here..

zooker
Old 02-23-07, 01:36 AM   #23
FlyRod

IslandFly,

I'm assuming you'll be using a spinning rig. Rather than go through the aggravation of having to refill the spool frequently due to the fragility of 2-lb test, why not obtain several spare spools, fill them, and have them at the ready for a quick "reload" as needed.
The price and availability of spare spools might be problem, depending on the make and model you own, but most more popular models will not pose a problem.
Also, if you've not already done so, try to shop hard for a spin reel with the smoothest possible drag or replace the drag washers in an existing reel in order to maximize performance. A reel with a rough drag will cause a lot of breakoffs with such light line. That means a lot of fish with hooks stuck in them swimming off in peril. Fish deserve better.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 02:04 AM   #24
vagabond

I'm not able to help you on your quest to find 2 lb test, but was curious as to what the 2 lb test world record is.

Good luck. I hope you do it.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 08:03 AM   #25
islandflyfisher

The record is a grass carp at 20 lbs 8 ounces. FlyRod, I am going to do exactly that. My dad used to do a lot of fishing with 4 lb and some with 2 lb test. We have the spare spools. I just have to get the line to fill up one or two of them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.