Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-07, 06:22 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Too Early to Get Ready?

Well, with 8 inches of ice and 15 inches of snow, Ifigure its time to respool and sharpen hooks. Nothing else to do anyhow.. I found a few new spools of low vis 20lb test that I put on 2 rods, then spent an hour sharpening crankbait hooks and a few of my favorite jerk baits. I'll spend hours going through each worm hook and other crankbaits, esp. the rattletraps.
I figure its another4-6 weeks till the water temp is above 40, but want to be ready just in case we have a quick warm up.
Air temp today is 19 and water temp is frozen 31 LOL
anyone else up north getting ready yet? the bait monkey will hit in march !
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 06:33 PM   #2
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yep JB I can hardly wait.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 08:02 PM   #3
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

So am I... organised my puny arsenal a week ago, haha. Got a new combo today. Changing line ASAP.
Old 02-24-07, 08:17 PM   #4
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

We were in a warming trend and I was hoping to get out in a few weeks. Now they are predicting a foot of snow tonight and it SUCKS.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 08:18 PM   #5
keithdog

Hey JB. How's it going? Conditions here are about the same. Having an ice storm right now. I've got cabin fever in the worst way. Sooooo, went to our new Bass Pro Shop last night and invested a small fortune, then did the same today at Dicks and Gander Mountain. Starting tonight and all day tomorrow, it time to go through everything, organize, clean up, toss out, all that really fun stuff you do because you can't do anything else!!! I'll have to photograph my new stuff to post here. Would make a fun thread to see what everyone is buying for the new year. I'm thrilled to death to finally get some Paca Craws. They were never available in our area before and today I found a bunch of them at Gander Mountain. Got the large ones and the Baby Pacas in both black/blue and in watermellon crawler. Looking foreward to seeing what everyone in here is talking about with those baits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 08:21 PM   #6
zooker

keith dog you will like the baby's alot better i use the big paca's in muddy water..

zooker
Old 02-24-07, 08:21 PM   #7
Christopherkeene9

What are you guys talkin' about?
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 08:24 PM   #8
JB

rofl you lucky southern dude..we have a long wait till the ice thaws up here near the great lakes.its warmed up to the 20s and feels wonderful compared to last 3 weeks of minus zero temps
Old 02-24-07, 08:26 PM   #9
JB

keithdog,
i know where yer comming from, its time to get out an wet a line..we are getting the same sleet/snow /ice right now too.
I need some 1/4 ounce traps next time out, plus more STUFF!
Old 02-24-07, 08:42 PM   #10
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

It was finally warming up, and then BOOM, we get 6 inches of snow.
I've been getting ready since last summer.

SOON...
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 11:24 PM   #11
bassinbob

JB Next weekend it's sposed to be in the 50's. I don't care if their is still ice on the lakes. I'm going to the river and throw something. I spent 3 hrs this afternoon going through my stuff. What was one bag with assorted baits is now all hard baits. What was a plastic bag (worms, flukes, creatures) is now my topwater bag, frogs toads, etc. I bought a spinnerbox and filled that up today. I have about 40 bags of different toads on the floor. I'm scratching my head to find out where they should go. I now have a seperate bag for swimbaits. I need another bag for dropshot gear and bait. The jig box and the buzzbait box need a home too. That doesn't count a place for all the rest of the plastics. Where will it end.

Bob
Old 02-25-07, 08:00 AM   #12
pig n jig

It sucks this time of year, every year.I get so damned depressed that Ican't fish, I have to do something else, besides think about not going fishing.I just won a couple of albums from Ebay. The first, I already have on record and CD, But got a picture disc album.

The second is a Pacific Gas & Electric album.The drummer "Fito" De La Parra from Canned Heat was with Pacific Gas & Electric from 1968-mid 1974.He then rejoined Canned Heat.Yeah, I am tired as hell sitting around bidding my time, until I can go fishing. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 08:21 AM   #13
weaverml34

Last weekend I was getting all excited about the chances to go fishing this weekend because they were forecasting the temp to be in the 40's all week and in the 50's this weekend. Instead it was in the 30's yesterday (Saturday) and we got a bunch of freezing rain, sleet and snow.

Keithdog how is your new BPS up there? I love the one in Clarksville and for those of us in the Indy area it's about the same time on the road to either one. I'm ten minutes from 65 and all I have to do is go North or South and eventually I'll run into one.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 09:44 AM   #14
zooker

pnj
i have that album..on cd.. very cool..

well ifin you are bored silly.. here is how to be the envy of your neighborhood. get some fretilizer and a big box of epsome salts. mix the fert and salts at 5 parts fert 1 part salt. using a broad cast spreader spread it over your lawn -on top of the snow- when the snow melts and the grass starts to grow. your lawn will do from dead to needin mowin in a week..while every one else is out fertilizing there lawns for the first time you are mowing... i do it of course i am mowing for the second time already..aggrovates the hell out of the neighbor..

snow don't break down fertlizer or epsome salts..

then after a month the color here will start to fade to a dull green.
then add this every month to keep it real green..using a hose end sprayer
in a bucket mix
1 can of beer
1 cup of ammonia
1/2 cup of liquid dish soap
1/2 cup of liquid lawn food
1/2 cup of corn syrup

spray it over you lawn..

laugh but it works very well..

zooker
Old 02-25-07, 10:59 AM   #15
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

and i thought the fact that it's sunshining outside and here i am stuck working 12 hour shifts at work this weekend was bad.......i regress....it would make me want to slit my wrists to live where the water is frozen....i guess i am blessed beyond blessed living where i can fish 12 months of the year.....hope it warms up soon for all of you.....especially jb.....hehehehe....the white bass are running here now.....i'm gonna go get em next weekend....am off f,s,and sunday.....whoooohooooo......
Old 02-25-07, 11:13 AM   #16
boater

I been buying new bates and see how good they look and their action in the snow. Fish aint got a prayer
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 11:29 AM   #17
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintxlady View Post
and i thought the fact that it's sunshining outside and here i am stuck working 12 hour shifts at work this weekend was bad.......i regress....it would make me want to slit my wrists to live where the water is frozen....i guess i am blessed beyond blessed living where i can fish 12 months of the year.....hope it warms up soon for all of you.....especially jb.....hehehehe....the white bass are running here now.....i'm gonna go get em next weekend....am off f,s,and sunday.....whoooohooooo......
If I could fish year round, I wouldn't be able to hold a job, let alone keep one that requires 12 hour shifts. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 04:05 PM   #18
Christopherkeene9

Bassinbob your bait boxes can find a home in Oviedo, Fl!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 04:48 PM   #19
HOG Ranger

Well, we didn't get as much snow as predicted and it is raining today. I need to change the line on a couple more reels so that will be todays project.

What a mess from yesterday though, freezing rain on about 4 inches of snow.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 07:06 PM   #20
keithdog

Hey Weaver, I had a great time at our BPS in Portage. It's amazing to walk through. But then, this is the first BPS I've ever been inside so I can't really compare it to others. They still could use a few things I was looking for that are shown in their catalog, but were not in the store. Namely, Paca Craws!!! The main reason I went there. I found them the next day at Gander Mountain. But the guy at BPS told me there was still many items to arrive yet and that was going to be one of them.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 03:29 PM   #21
Snake2715

So whats the normal census 40-50 degrees outside or water? Yeah i am pretty new to fishing this 'early' and I don't want to make that same mistake again.

I always get out there at the tail end of it and miss a good portion of the opportunity not this year!
Old 02-27-07, 04:08 PM   #22
JB

around 50ish water temp is when the bass fishing gets good, I'd sometime in april for michigan
Old 02-27-07, 05:56 PM   #23
Snake2715

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
around 50ish water temp is when the bass fishing gets good, I'd sometime in april for michigan

Thanks JB. Late March early April is when I had hoped.
Old 02-27-07, 10:56 PM   #24
lizardsrule

MOVE SOUTH!

Lizards
Old 03-04-07, 11:27 AM   #25
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

Did anyone else see kevin van dam catch that smallies thru the ice???
It was when they were talking about him and his buddy during the classic coverage.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.