Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-26-07, 02:00 AM   #1
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman
Default Pegging weights

will pegging your weights with toothpicks damage your line if you are using say, flourocarbon or superline? i dont wanna chance it. if they do, do you know of any other ways to peg it without buying the stupid wieghts with screws in em or any of that jazz? never really pegged my wieghts but i think imma try it this year.
Old 02-26-07, 09:24 AM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILfishinman View Post
will pegging your weights with toothpicks damage your line if you are using say, flourocarbon or superline? i dont wanna chance it. if they do, do you know of any other ways to peg it without buying the stupid wieghts with screws in em or any of that jazz? never really pegged my wieghts but i think imma try it this year.
Ill,

Remain calm! I have the answer (in 10,000 words or less.)
The use of toothpicks for pegging slipsinkers, though a time-honored tradition, is NOT a good idea, save as a last resort.
Why peg at all? (I hear you ask.) Well, empirical evidence gathered over many years supports the belief that pegging results in far fewer snags/hangups and may improve sensitivity, both to "reading" the bottom and detecting bites. Downside? None that I know of, sufficient to offset the upside.
There are products on the market, such as the "Peg-It", that one may use without the risk of damage to one's line...or so much risk as with a toothpick, in any case. I use "Peg-It"s, and endorse them heartily.
Now, all that being said, there are some aggravations. First, most Tungsten weights have so small an opening that inserting a Peg-It can be difficult or impossible. Don Iovino, the Peg-it Pusher, tells me that they now have one with a thinner point that will alleviate this difficulty. Also, Bass Pro Shops sells a rather pricey variant with a thinner tip, but be warned that I've found that about half of each 100-pack is useless for the tungstens, though OK for most lead weights.
Academy carries the Peg-It, by the way, although I don't think they have the newer version yet. The standard Peg-It, with red labeling, will work fine if you stick to lead weights. The newer, thinner, version has blue labeling, BTW.
Factoid/Tipoid: When using lead weights, take some time to "ream" the openings on BOTH ends of the weight before inserting the line and pegging.
Y'see, often there is burring or lead flashing that is a hazard to your line.
Spend a pleasant evening before the TV, reaming the excess and smoothing the entry/exit holes by inserting a...would you believe?...a ROUND WOODEN TOOTHPICK and spinning it in both holes in turn. Flat toothpicks have little or no application in our world.
Good luck!

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 07:45 PM   #3
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I peg with toothpicks, and have never had a problem with it. I'm sure if you were using light line and did it, it might hurt it, but when I'm fishin T-rigged plastics I'm usually using at least 15 lb. line but usually more than that so the toothpick doesn't hurt it. You can also buy the screw in weight that screw in to the head of the plastic.
Old 02-26-07, 08:14 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

tooth pick as fly swatter pointed out the new tungstun bullets are a real b!tch to thread a peg it on them.. as i use the toothpick to peg about 90% of my baits..

no problems so far with the tooth pick..

zooker
Old 02-26-07, 08:24 PM   #5
lizardsrule

The screw in type weights are usually referred to as Florida rigs. The peg-it's or knockoffs are pretty cheap when you buy them by the 100 pack like I do. Never throw a t-rig without one. I also believe a pegged weight allows for less lost fish. I believe the unpegged weight with flip around while fighting the fish, and have a tenedancy to not only open a bigger hole in the bass's mouth, thereby giving more of a chance to lose the fish, but the angles it hits, could just pop out the hook. This is just my opinon of course.

Lizards
Old 02-26-07, 09:22 PM   #6
Christopherkeene9

Peg it with a toothpick. I also agree with Lizards in that it swings around creating a bigger whole or allow the hook to be moved around a popped. That is while we swordfish we rig our weights to our lines via copperwire or rubber bands so they break free when a fish hits.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 10:32 PM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

toothpicks(when fun fishing)..never lost a fish because of a toothpick.in a tourney i'll used those little rubber things,rather not take a chance.
i only use the flat toothpicks(sorry fly squatter).that was a good post anyway.
Old 02-26-07, 10:33 PM   #8
FLBassAssassin
BassFishin.Com Member

if u dont like the screw in weights but want to "peg" your sinker to ur bait...than go to bass pro and get the sinker stops....they will be right around the bobber stops/bobbers aisle...they are a lil piece of rubber that u slide on ur line before ur weight then u can push them all the way down to the top of the weight keeping it in place...ill post a pic of what it looks like...but here is a link to check for now..http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...esults...those arent the exact ones i have mine are red,black, yellow...will post pics of how i use them when i get a chance
Old 02-26-07, 11:33 PM   #9
ILfishinman

thanks for your replies guys, especially you flyrod, i love your oh-so informative posts, i would love to fish with you one day, one could learn a lot from you. do you think they would carry stuff like that at dicks? I'm pretty sure wally world wont but I'll check next time we go grocery shoppin. great to see most of you are still here, hope to get active again
Old 02-27-07, 02:29 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

i have used toothpicks a lot and never had any problems with it damaging my line but i have had problems with the toothpick getting wet and soft and letting my weight slide up the line. not a big problem but i have started using the screw in type weights and love them. on a side note, one time i heard a pro talking about using shrink tube, i am pretty sure it was a form of pegging but i can't remember the details. anyone know what i am talking about? it made sense at the time i wish i could remember.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 08:20 AM   #11
keithdog

I agree with Carolina that using toothpicks works fine, but after some time they start to slide on my line too. I started using those screw in weights made by BULLET WEIGHTS two years ago and like those for the most part. However I've had more than a few cases of the wire screw falling out of the weight. So this year I am going to try using the Peg It and see how that works. But I definately beliebe in having that weight pegged in some way when using the T rig.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 11:40 AM   #12
links_man2

Carolina---Not sure but you may be thinking of the show I think it was Aaron Martins that showed how to use shrink tubing as an insert on tungsten weights. Some tungsten weights come with the insert but some don't. Tried it and like many things, he made it look a lot easier than it really is.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 06:58 PM   #13
crab

I use parasite weights and parasite clips and never have the problem with them and my plastics wont slide down my hook. the site I get them from is www.fishinfanatics.com/ParasiteWeights
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 07:10 PM   #14
ILfishinman

crab i saw those my in latest north American fishing club magazine and i thought they looked pretty nifty. but in the past when ive bought weights i buy the packs at wally world with like 10 different sizes of lead weights, i think its called weights by the pound on the package, but i sort them out into small med and large sizes and i dont know what sizes i would get buying them singly like this. instead of buying more weights ill probably just look at dicks and see if they got the uh what are they called agin peg-its, the closest fishing store like BPS or Cabelas in in Springfield about an hour and a half away i think

Last edited by ILfishinman; 02-27-07 at 07:15 PM.
ILfishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 07:47 AM   #15
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Thumbs up Pegging??? Why not Glue The Weights?

Hi Fella's,

Not one of you use our glue eh? You might ask Reb, Kevin [owner of this site] or manny others here who've been using our glue for their knots and sinkers for years so they don't weaken their lines. No aggravation in adhering the tungsten steel or even lead weights to soft plastic baits. Takes about 15 seconds!

Benefits; dries clear, odorless withing 5 seconds in the water and remains flexible!

Not only that but, that toothpick, even rubber ones always catch debris and grass when you come through heavy cover.

Just one of Kevins favorite sponsors and not an advertisement and just had to jump in here to at least try to ease your frustrations and keep you fishing longer...

Mike
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 11:27 AM   #16
bassnman30

One way that you can peg your weight is to add a piece of rubber band.
How,take a piece of rubber band and tie a piece of line to the center of the band. Pull it through the opening of the weight and clip off the excess.
Works every time and wont slide.
Old 03-04-07, 02:52 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick-em View Post

Not one of you use our glue eh? You might ask Reb, Kevin [owner of this site] or manny others here who've been using our glue for their knots
to be honest i never tried using your glue for knots..used it on dam near thing else from glueing eyes on a teddy bear to sewing up my last horny toad -again and again..-....

zooker
Old 03-04-07, 04:59 PM   #18
JB

mike,
I've used your glue for various applications but never thought about using it as a way to peg your sinker, however I am impressed on how well it keeps things glued in place. You have a great product!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 10:47 AM   #19
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Wink

JB, Zooker and others!

I am not saying it will work on everything, but more than not. I do know that many Pros like it to glue the weights to the soft plastic baits because they will tell you when talking with them that anything you use to wedge in between the bullet weight hole and the line to secure it, will, in time fray or cause weakness in polymers and braided lines over time resulting in line break off and losing a fish. With them it's money fish and with us it's recreational in most cases but, it coule be WALTER that got away of a lifetime.

If you haven't used it for knots, try it since ours doesn't contain an acidic formula that weakens, melt or otherwise chalk up lines to make brittle.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
mike,
I've used your glue for various applications but never thought about using it as a way to peg your sinker, however I am impressed on how well it keeps things glued in place. You have a great product!
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.