Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-16-10, 07:43 PM   #1
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Gear Ratio For Flipping

I just read another thread about gear ratios and several people stated that they use a high ratio to fish with worm/jigs. I don't have alot of experience flipping but I'm looking at buying a flipping stick combo. I have always heard that the lower gear ratios provide more power and should be used along with a stiff rod to haul the hawgs out of the brush. So what are your thoughts on the subject?
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 07:45 PM   #2
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a 7.1:1 just for the fact that if a fish bites and you miss him on the hookset, you can get your back in there a lot faster.
Old 10-16-10, 08:00 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As fast as you can get it.

I also use a 7.1:1. Like Cav's said, when I'm pitching or flipping, I'm normally power fishing. I'll pitch, let my jig hit bottom, pop it a couple times, and reel it in. The high speed reel lets me make more pitches/flips compensating for my not-so-great pitching skills.

Also, a 7:1 will allow you to pull the fish out of the cover before they can really bury you in it.

BB
Old 10-16-10, 08:16 PM   #4
coachpurdy

But wouldn't a more powerful reel axtually get the fish out faster?
Old 10-16-10, 08:21 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpurdy View Post
But wouldn't a more powerful reel axtually get the fish out faster?
Actually, a low gear ratio reel that gives you more torque will make it EASIER to get the fish out, but it won't get it out faster. For example, the Revo Winch has a 5.4:1 (I think) and reels in 21" of line. A HS Zillion (7.1:1) reel is 32". That's over a foot more per handle turn.

I use 30-40lb braid and my drag locked down. I have no problems pulling fish out of cover with the HS reel.

BB
Old 10-16-10, 08:26 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

IMO Coach, power would be where you set your drag and the line strength. Not really anything to do with gear ratio or line retrieved per turn. If you stick a pig with #50 braid and a drag set hard, all you have left is your reel speed before she wraps you up. If you make a solid hook up and turn her head with that, you have a chance to haul her up to the top of the water and lip her before she realizes it.

BB beat me to it.
Old 10-16-10, 08:34 PM   #7
coachpurdy

(I can't figure out how to work the quote thing) If the reel handle is easier to turn wouldn't you be able to turn it faster ?
Old 10-16-10, 08:43 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

My handle turns with ease according to how tight my spool tension is set. What kind of reel are you using Coach?
Old 10-16-10, 08:43 PM   #9
Tavery5

Quote:
(I can't figure out how to work the quote thing) If the reel handle is easier to turn wouldn't you be able to turn it faster ?

If you are concerned with not having enough torque to drag them out of the cover with a high speed reel, you could go with the best of both, get a 7.1:1 reel and add an extended length handle, similar to what the skeet resse revo had.

This way you get a very high IPT and get the added torque benefits of a longer handle.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 08:54 PM   #10
coachpurdy

Sounds like good advice Tavery. Bubba, why do people talk about high gear reels wearing them out when cranking all day? If they are reeling in more line per turn it seems that it would take less turns during the day. Must have something to do with torque.
Old 10-16-10, 09:03 PM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Sounds like good advice Tavery. Bubba, why do people talk about high gear reels wearing them out when cranking all day? If they are reeling in more line per turn it seems that it would take less turns during the day. Must have something to do with torque.

You hit it on the head, it has everything to do with torque. Think of it this way, Your truck in overdrive is like a 7.1:1 reel, and your truck in low gear is like a 5.1:1 reel. Which you gonna use to pull that stump out of the ground? Big deep diving cranks have a lot of drag to them, so casting them on a low speed reel gives you a mechanical advantage.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 10-16-10, 09:11 PM   #12
coachpurdy

I understand the the torque and I now undrstand the advantage of speed. with a 7 to 8 pull of the rod the gear ratio of the reel is ineffective. So the power comes more from the rod than the reel in a pitching/flipping technique. In this senario it would be more of a advantage to have a high speed reel to increase your number of presentations. Thanks, I really enjoyed the debate, but how do you quote messages?
Old 10-16-10, 09:13 PM   #13
keithdog

I'd also like to stress the need for a high speed 7:1 ratio reel. Pay attention to the actual line recovery rates. Some reels are 29" at 7:1 while others are around 31"-32". Revos have about as strong a drag as your going to find. I use a Revo STX with the 7:1 ratio for my pitchin outfit. It has a line recovery of 31" and a drag pound rating of 18 pounds. The vast majority of other reel makes offer drag pound ratings of between 8-11 pounds. Quantum and Browning also have some reels with higher drag pound ratings, although I trust the quality of Revo more, just my opinion. Also, your choice of rod is going to make a HUGE difference when pitchin. You want a rod of 6'8" or longer with a strong backbone but a flexable tip to allow you to easily pitch a lure into the target. Too stiff a tip and it's much harder to pitch. My Revo STX is mounted to a Shimano Crucial model CRC-X610H, 6'10" graphite Heavy power Xtra fast action. It's strong rod, and the tip even though extra fast is flexable enough to allow me long pitches acturately. Some guys like a longer rod, but being I'm only 5'6" tall this rod size fits me great. Actually, I met KVD and he recommended a rod with the specs I bought due to my hight, even though I didn't buy a Quantum rod, lol. Don't tell him I said so. Lastly, since you are new to pitchin, I would highly recommend you buy from Bass Pro Shops the video by KVD called Pitchin To Heavy Hitters!!! When I first started pitchin I stuggled a bit, and this video was recommended to me. I can't tell you how helpful it was to helping me really understanding what I was doing out there. It covers everything from gear choices, casting technique, lure choices and how to properly present the lures, and more.

Last edited by keithdog; 10-16-10 at 09:25 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 09:20 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
I understand the the torque and I now undrstand the advantage of speed. with a 7 to 8 pull of the rod the gear ratio of the reel is ineffective. So the power comes more from the rod than the reel in a pitching/flipping technique. In this senario it would be more of a advantage to have a high speed reel to increase your number of presentations. Thanks, I really enjoyed the debate, but how do you quote messages?
Just go to the message you want to quote and look in the lower righthand corner, there is a button that says quote. Once you select it, you will be moved to the message box with that post quoted in it.
Old 10-16-10, 09:47 PM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

I am getting a lesson from this, enjoying the points.
Old 10-18-10, 12:07 PM   #16
dave0943

I've been using my 7.1 PQ for pitching and flipping. Super real for this. It's very lite so I don't get tired. The faster gear ratio helps haul them out fast. On SALE NOW! The 6.4 would also work well.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 03:31 PM   #17
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There is another good reason for using a fast ratio reel when pitching flipping or general casting of jigs and plastics. Quite often a bass will pick up a bait and swim with it. If a bass grabs your bait and swims toward you, the slack in the line can make it hard to get a good hook set. A fast reel will allow you to crank in line fast and catch up to the fish before she spits the bait, then you can get a solid hookset when you have most of the slack picked up.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 09:21 PM   #18
bamabassman

Pro reel made and EXCELLENT point here. I too agree with a faster ratio for these types of baits.
Old 10-25-10, 09:50 AM   #19
basstech

IMO; Gear ratio is a mute point when pulling fish out of heavy cover, or any other time except when using crankbaits. The majority of power used in pulling fish out of heavy cover is used through pulling them out with the rod. If your simply trying to "reel" the fish out of heavy cover with the reel, then your lost anyway, it won't happen. Just like any other time your landing the fish your using the rod to work the fish in and then reeling back down. Use a 7' rod, heavy line, and tighten down the drag, Some guys really do lock it down and you shouldn't have any problems getting fish out of heavy cover. Slow reels won't keep up with a moving fish.
Old 10-25-10, 08:10 PM   #20
Old Hooker

I have a 6.4:1 ratio reel for worms and pitching (a PQ and a Revo S). I have a really hard time finding a 7.1:1 ratio in left hand. I don't think I have any major disadvantage with the 6.4.

Last edited by Old Hooker; 10-25-10 at 08:35 PM.
Old Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 08:14 PM   #21
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
There is another good reason for using a fast ratio reel when pitching flipping or general casting of jigs and plastics.

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your inputs.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.