Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-11, 10:12 PM   #1
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikekw3
Default Sureset Trebbles?

I was considering buying some of these, has anyone tried these? If so do you think they are any better than the traditional trebble? thanks
Mikekw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 12:30 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I am interested in hearing some of the replies to this question because I have wondered what kinds of experiences other guys have had with these hooks. I replace all my treble hooks with Mustad Triple Grips and since I have started doing this several years back I have become a huge fan of the Triple Grips. However I bought a few Chug Bugs last fall that had Suresets on them and I didn't change them because I was curious about them and wanted to fish them for a little bit to form an opinion. I have caught some fish on them but I haven't formed an opinion yet. Also I realize that topwater baits vs. crankbaits are two different animals so I too would like to hear some opinions from guys who have used them for a while.
Old 01-05-11, 12:48 AM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I put some on a few cranks (off the rapalas they came on) but haven't had a chance to give them a real work out. I am however a HUGE fan of triple ripple dipple grips. I caught a couple trout on with them while bass fishing. Go figure!

Lastly, one case I would shudder from using the sure sets is crankin' in grass and weeds. That would seem to spell weed clearing to the max with an EWG, don't you think?
Old 01-05-11, 07:53 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a couple Rapalas with suresets and I havn't noticed anything good or bad really. They go through woody areas and work as well as my cranks that don't have sursets. I wouldn't say my hookup ratio was improved by using sursets, nor has it decreased.

Last edited by keithdog; 01-05-11 at 07:32 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 09:28 AM   #5
rrw4258

I really do not like the sureset trebles at all, espcially on the belly hook. It tends to hang up more than a bait without the treble. However, Rapala has redone the DT line of baits recently and got rid of the DT Suresets, and now all of the regular DT's are coming with a regular VMC Short Shank Belly Hook and the rear is a sureset treble hook. I don't really mind them in the back of the bait, but I still change it out with a VMC short shank regular treble hook anyhow.

While fishing a tournament last year, the boater was fishing a DT with suresets and I saw that when a bigger fish was buttoned on just the wide gap hook of the surset hook, that hook would bend, and in one case he actually lost a good fish because that wide gap part of the sureset broke off.

Ryan
Old 01-05-11, 09:30 AM   #6
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For those of us who don't know any better (me, for one), could you tell us what's different about the sureset trebles? Do they have sharper points? Different curvature? Maybe you could cite a webpage that shows pics of them. Thanks.
Old 01-05-11, 09:44 AM   #7
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
For those of us who don't know any better (me, for one), could you tell us what's different about the sureset trebles? Do they have sharper points? Different curvature? Maybe you could cite a webpage that shows pics of them. Thanks.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_S...e-VMCSRTB.html
Old 01-05-11, 10:25 AM   #8
HarveysMinnow

Thanks Mike, that helps a lot. Those hooks are, if nothing else, innovative in their design. With tackle design, especially hooks, there has to be some degree of compromise between overall strength, weight, and other characteristics. In this case, I think Ryan has a valid point, because the added leverage sometimes applied against the large prong of this hook could be an issue. Still, being the experimenter that I am, I may try a few of these. I have to wonder, however, if the designer of these trebles was hoping to hook more fish or more fishermen?
Old 01-05-11, 02:07 PM   #9
Imgoodatwhatido

I use them on DT thugs and iI can say I haven't lost or missed a fish with them yet, and that includes some big hard fightin smallies. It seems the suresets get more hook-ups in the roof of the mouth than any other trebles. I love them and if I had the $ to blow I would put them on all my cranks.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 03:21 PM   #10
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imgoodatwhatido View Post
I use them on DT thugs and iI can say I haven't lost or missed a fish with them yet, and that includes some big hard fightin smallies. It seems the suresets get more hook-ups in the roof of the mouth than any other trebles. I love them and if I had the $ to blow I would put them on all my cranks.
Do you usually use them on the tail and belly of the lure?
Old 01-05-11, 05:35 PM   #11
WatterBoy

I use a Clackin' Rap every now and then, and they come with one only on the belly -- not that I couldn't add change out the tail treble for one, but I never have. It seems like I have slightly better hook-ups and fewer lost fish on these, but I haven't actually documented the numbers in order to support this thought.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 05:59 PM   #12
tim4081

I've used Xraps with the suresets but can't say that I've noticed any difference with them. To Ryan's point, I did have one hang up on some wood and the wide gap hook broke off....not necessarily a bad thing though since I got the lure back. However, in the future I doubt I'll spend the extra $$$s for the sureset.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 10:11 PM   #13
Imgoodatwhatido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekw3 View Post
Do you usually use them on the tail and belly of the lure?

yes but since i fish a very deep rocky lake and mostly fish rip rap with them theres not many places to hang. I would recommend taking the belly hook off and putting a regular treble on it since 95% of my hookups come on the tail hook. They are effective
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 01:27 PM   #14
Raul

Okie dokie, I do have lures with Sure sets, they had them factory installed I swear I donīt see any difference between a sure set and a regular treble hook; so me changing the regular hooks in a bait for sure sets ? nope, I donīt think I will, that money I was going to spend purchasing the replacement hooks Iīd rather spend it in something else.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.