Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-05, 12:38 AM   #26
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i don't have any problems with line twist. i use fluro and braid. both of these lines are zero maintance for me, just have to respool when the line level starts getting low after changing lures a few hundred times.
Old 12-23-05, 09:17 AM   #27
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

once you get good with a baitcaster your backlashes are few and far between.if they are not then your thumb is retarded or your reel is not set right.the few i do get come out quick.there is no way any spinning rod can match the power of a baitcaster with a flipping stick.there is no way a spinning rod can cast as accurately as a baitcaster.you can stop the lure any time you want instantly with a baitcaster.you can also feather the spool when pitching so that you get a soft entry that you wouldnever be able to get with a spinning reel.
Old 12-23-05, 08:43 PM   #28
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob
use a line with low or no memory and those tangles are non-existant.
Rob, it's not the line, it's my occasional carelessness.

Quote:
Actually the memory or lack thereof isn't the problem-it is line twist, which occurs due to the way the line is spooled on.
Reb, in the cases I'm referring to, it's not twist; it's the loops and loose line as a result of the above-mentioned carelessness.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 10:21 PM   #29
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good point, Marty. Most of the times I have problems it is a combination of both.
Old 12-24-05, 06:48 AM   #30
PowerBass

One of my best backlakshes came at 5 am, in the dark, big popper, carless tired cast and gust of wind. Popper ended up going 5 feet, and 30ft of line was everywhere wrapped up in the spool and the handle for some reason. Needless to say, I didnt bring spare line, so I had to use my spinning rod.
Old 12-24-05, 10:17 AM   #31
WidowMaker
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
once you get good with a baitcaster your backlashes are few and far between.if they are not then your thumb is retarded or your reel is not set right.the few i do get come out quick.there is no way any spinning rod can match the power of a baitcaster with a flipping stick.there is no way a spinning rod can cast as accurately as a baitcaster.you can stop the lure any time you want instantly with a baitcaster.you can also feather the spool when pitching so that you get a soft entry that you wouldnever be able to get with a spinning reel.
Hey i like that part about the retarded thumb. The next time i wont get embarrased.....ill just blame it on my thumb.
WidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 10:37 AM   #32
River stumps
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowMaker
Hey i like that part about the retarded thumb. The next time i wont get embarrased.....ill just blame it on my thumb.
why would you be embarrassed? The thumb plays an important part in how well you want to make a smooth cast. If you haven't backlashed a bait caster then you haven't used one.
Old 12-24-05, 04:28 PM   #33
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Show of hands-how many take several rods out with you for different applications but in the back of your mind you know one of the main reasons is to have a spare reel "just in case"?

Guilty.
Old 12-24-05, 04:48 PM   #34
WTL

Quote:
Show of hands-how many take several rods out with you for different applications but in the back of your mind you know one of the main reasons is to have a spare reel "just in case"?
I've ruined entire days before cause I got a backlash when I didn't bring enough suitable spare setups.

The worst backlashes occur in my experience when you try to overdo a cast and get the lure caught on something on the backcast - you can easily junk 100yds of line just like that. There are some that just arent worth picking out, its better to pull the knife and start cutting.
Old 12-26-05, 12:00 PM   #35
bassnman30

Zook,
I carry 5 reels with different size line in the event of a backlash that can't be straightened.
Old 12-26-05, 12:52 PM   #36
zooker

i only pack 3 extra. like nascar and taladaga race track you know a big one is coming just not to sure when it is going to happen...

zooker
Old 12-29-05, 05:22 PM   #37
bassnman30

I've got a couple with 10. Got a 14,17, and a 20. Some are flourocarbon and some are mono. I like the flouro. for crankbaits, and Badin.
Man that lake is clear, but I think it has treated me the best this winter. They must have stocked it !

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.