Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-03-12, 09:34 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Interesting take on the A-rig

Interesting take ON the a-rig

I think I would be a little more likely to throw one of these than the regular rig.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Casta...age-CFBMR.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picicast2012castaic1.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	8311  

Last edited by Jrob78; 11-03-12 at 10:39 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 10:30 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That is pretty interesting. I really don't think it would work for me since when I fish a frog I do it around brush, laydowns, and docks. Just seems like it would be a hard rig to cast into tight areas. But for those lucky guys who have vegetation to fish I could see this rig being a pretty neat tool.
Old 11-03-12, 10:36 PM   #3
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
That is pretty interesting. I really don't think it would work for me since when I fish a frog I do it around brush, laydowns, and docks. Just seems like it would be a hard rig to cast into tight areas. But for those lucky guys who have vegetation to fish I could see this rig being a pretty neat tool.
Yeah, it would definitely be for covering large areas of matted vegitation or pads or something like that. I also wonder about hooksets, it's hard enough for most people to get good hooksets with single frogs, I would think this would make it even harder.
Old 11-03-12, 11:36 PM   #4
bassinbob

Maybe a good idea but I see a lot of strikes on the leading hookless frog.
Old 11-04-12, 12:35 AM   #5
joedog

When fishing mats, wouldn't a single target really be better?
Think how many belly poppers you get with a single frog. I can see the bass maybe hitting the gaps out of confusion of figuring which target to hit.
Maybe a good idea but the 'walking' effect in open water my get hindered too.

It may eliminate a lot of the positives of frogging in trade for multiple targets.
Do you see schooling frogs like you do schooling bait fish?
Are frogs more of an independent creature as opposed to social. In other words, do you see multiple frogs traveling along in groups?

Has anyone fished mats with a partner and thrown at the same target or immediate area at the same time?

Does a Bass hit a frog when it hits a gap because of the singular 'ruckus' from above and watching out of curiosity as opposeed to hunting?
Old 11-04-12, 12:59 AM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
When fishing mats, wouldn't a single target really be better?
Think how many belly poppers you get with a single frog. I can see the bass maybe hitting the gaps out of confusion of figuring which target to hit.
Maybe a good idea but the 'walking' effect in open water my get hindered too.

It may eliminate a lot of the positives of frogging in trade for multiple targets.
Are frogs more of an independent creature as opposed to social. In other words, do you see multiple frogs traveling along in groups?

Has anyone fished mats with a partner and thrown at the same target or immediate area at the same time?

Does a Bass hit a frog when it hits a gap because of the singular 'ruckus' from above and watching out of curiosity as opposeed to hunting?
I'm sure you would lose the walking action with this rig, I don't see any way around that. I don't think this is an open water bait though. I'm seeing it more as something you could hit multiple edges with, be it pads or holes in mats.

For example, if you could split the middle of 2 holes, you could hit one with the right frog and another further down with the left frog. Think about a long cast in a field of pads, you have about a foot of coverage vs. a few inches. During the length of the cast, it's bound to hit more edges than a single would.

I also don't think bass are going to realize that they're seeing multiple frogs and realize it isn't natural. I know a lot of times frog baits actually mimic bluegill more than frogs. They are going to sense the movement over their heads and take the first shot they get when they actually see it or hone in on where it is.
Old 11-04-12, 08:26 AM   #7
lilmule

Often in the pads they are in a group or school and several may try for it prior to one actually taking the frog,I can see a rat type action with an occasional double.
Right now with cool nights and days semi decent walk near the bank anywhere from 3 to a doz tree frogs will hop in ,water temp is in the fifties,but around veggies and veggies alone can still get bit on a frog,not non stop action but bit.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 10:23 AM   #8
keithdog

I can see it causing a lot of blowups, but I can't see getting a possitive hookset with this rig. Getting a hookset is tough enough with a single frog tied dirrectly to the line. But this thing, you've got three frogs indirrectly tied to your line. I'll stick to a single frog application.
Old 11-04-12, 11:56 AM   #9
lilmule

Actually I see a use even though dont have one with say horny toad no problem with any hookset as same as a buzzbait,just dont see a whole lot of advantage unless traveling in packs.To which they sometimes do in pads.I for lack of a better word since not schooling time call them pods.But they do this from june on around thick pads.I have a line of grass just north and can almost call where I will get bit,certain areas hold them.every time I go back over the stretch same places I get bit at and often catch two within 40-50 ft,anyone else ever find this,grass may all be due to underwater objects that hold,that you cant see, but not the pads they run the line then go out deeper then start back.And you can have a pard toss in nearby and get blown all over if not taken.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 12:13 PM   #10
WTL

I'd like it better if it were a spinnerbait brigade or something to that effect.
Old 11-06-12, 08:52 AM   #11
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have two custom a-rigs, one a 3 arm spinner bait, the other, 3 arm buzzbait, and the buzz got slammed! I don't know how a frog rig would work, have the same doubts expressed above.

Last edited by Dogmatic; 11-06-12 at 01:30 PM.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 09:31 AM   #12
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Down here frogs are extremely social, often will gather in groups of 50-100+ at night and talk so loud you can't even hear yourself think. Sometimes in the spring they get to swimming around in groups of 3's and 4's in what could only be described as synchronized swimming practice, I think I've even seen them holding little hands together. More than once I've witnessed them swimming through the pads in a Goose-like V formation that puts me in mind of the OP.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.