Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-12-12, 08:38 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default The age old question that very few ever agree on....

..what line color is best.
I hear the groans already!

To start, everyone should read this.
http://www.bassfishingandcatching.co...ine-color.html

Now bottom line is confidence.
Bass do see color, no argument.
BUT do they or can they interpret danger or caution do to a color.
In other words, does it matter?

Most don't realize how quickly color changes with depth, clarity and sunshine.
Whats good on cloudy rainy days may not be the best for sunny and clear. What's good in three feet of water may not be best in deep.

Now I also feel these color differences have similar effect on lure color.
In other words, why we throw chartreuse and black and blues etc. but that should probably be it's own thread.

Personally I use fluoro or fluoro-coply.
That's where my CONFIDENCE is.
I use fluoro leaders on all braid plus blacken line on anything I don't use leader. Frogging.
Why, CONFIDENCE, simple as that. If I had past success on bright pink and orange with a touch of yellow, I'd be throwing that.

But I truly liked the above 'paste' cause it explains some of the 'whys'.

So today's questions,

What do you use?
Do you choose line by color or other characteristics like knot strength, abrasion resistance etc.
Would you use a different color if it had everything you wanted BUT color?
Do you use different lines for different techniques?
Now I think most know when braid is important or advantagest so does braid color make a difference to you.
Cameo, invisibraid or clear or green or whatever.

Anyone know of any MANUFACTURES PROOF or evidence that theirs is better or maybe 'less' visible. Cajun red may disappear in like 15-20 feet of water but is more apparent than almost ANY line in less than 10ft.
What do you think the 'red hook' fad came from?

As always, why you feel how you feel is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 11-12-12, 09:32 PM   #2
bassboogieman

From spring thru summer most of my home waters are stained and have a lot of grass, so I use green co-poly line on just about all my casting rods. I use green braid with a clear flurocarbon leader on spinning gear. Frog rod just has the green braid. The green also works well when I go down to the Potomac River. When I went to Dale Hollow last year I did change over to clear, flurocarbon line after the first day, I could see the green pretty well with my own eyes. When I got home, I went back to the green co-poly. I also like the YoZuri hybrid in smoke, but it is a bit harder to find.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 09:48 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well....i use green braid, never seen it any other color really. and i use, red, green and clear mono. don't have a favorite color. catch dinks on all my line choices, lol.
Old 11-12-12, 10:16 PM   #4
Jrob78

I'm not a huge believer in the idea that fish are line shy, at least not in my neck of the woods. I also don't fish for highly pressured fish in ultra clear water. I use clear and clear blue fluorescent line 95% of the time, either fluoro or copoly. When I use braid, I use green braid with no leader.
Old 11-12-12, 11:24 PM   #5
bassinbob

I use P-line CX mostly and green braid. I wonder if braid gives off a sound that fish pick up on. Like Jrob I am not sure bass are line shy except in very clear water. What else explains bass hitting lures on braid in clear or slightly stained water? Do most fishermen use reaction type baits on braid ? Now I am confusing myself.
Old 11-13-12, 12:18 AM   #6
Rebbasser

Joe, I have gone from one extreme to the other and I really don't think it makes a whole lot of difference one way or the other.
Old 11-13-12, 06:44 PM   #7
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Joe, I have gone from one extreme to the other and I really don't think it makes a whole lot of difference one way or the other.
I kind of lean that way myself.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 08:50 PM   #8
keithdog

I use either green or clear. I really don't believe it matters. Think about it. If a guy is going to throw an big Alabama Rig with all them wires, is line color really an issue? Certain techniques may benefit from proper color choice, such as shakey rig fishin, drop shot, dead sticking, ect. But in most other situations I don't think the fish even take notice.
Old 11-13-12, 10:21 PM   #9
joedog

You know the way I see it is, similar quality lines work similar. Have similar strengths and what not. It's back to the old Chevy or Dodge argument usually.
Good mono can run as much as Fluoro and braid is usually similar in price. Now I am well aware that Suffix and Sunline and others break the mold on pricing but most the rest are close to one another.
So if I can get Fluoro or Fluoro coply for the same price as mono....heck why knot?
Braid is braid, again with the above named exceptions.
I may just try a cameo braid though but only if I would buy that brand anyways.
I'm not braid loyal to any manufacturer but I don't enjoy Power Pro at all. I think it's the most unruly braid on the market. Now that will ANGER the troops! That's just my opinion remember!
I don't switch colors based on water I'm fishing. I do based on technique expected.
Yes I do buy and have favorites but never based on color.

I don't think fish have as big a reject based on line as some but if clear, which really shows in murky water and Fluro does too are avalible I'll get them .
TrileneXL Armor which I tried this year said clear but looked green to me?

Now if finnesse fishing, everything I said above goes out the window.
Old 11-13-12, 10:34 PM   #10
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Fluoro, green coply, green and red braid(mostly green) fluoro leader when needed, but what's this "chevy or Dodge" thing, who makes the second best truck behind Ford?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 04:51 AM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
You know the way I see it is, similar quality lines work similar. Have similar strengths and what not. It's back to the old Chevy or Dodge argument usually.
Good mono can run as much as Fluoro and braid is usually similar in price. Now I am well aware that Suffix and Sunline and others break the mold on pricing but most the rest are close to one another.
So if I can get Fluoro or Fluoro coply for the same price as mono....heck why knot?
Braid is braid, again with the above named exceptions.
I may just try a cameo braid though but only if I would buy that brand anyways.
I'm not braid loyal to any manufacturer but I don't enjoy Power Pro at all. I think it's the most unruly braid on the market. Now that will ANGER the troops! That's just my opinion remember!
I don't switch colors based on water I'm fishing. I do based on technique expected.
Yes I do buy and have favorites but never based on color.

I don't think fish have as big a reject based on line as some but if clear, which really shows in murky water and Fluro does too are avalible I'll get them .
TrileneXL Armor which I tried this year said clear but looked green to me?

Now if finnesse fishing, everything I said above goes out the window.
Joe, I like a lot of what you said, but I have to ask, what mono are you using, or have you seen that is as expensive as FC?
Old 11-14-12, 08:18 AM   #12
joedog

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Toray...age-BWPPN.html
and for comparison
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkl...age-BTFCC.html

Next is spendy but not retail to retail maybe.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lucky...ge-LCIAMT.html
Thats for 110 ft. so 220ft would be twice the price.

Tavery I DON'T USE MONO!
This year is probably the first mono I bought in 10 YEARS!
The cost I mentioned were generalities and probably not right.
You know I may research my statements more than anyone on this site. But sometimes I maybe wrong.
Sorry!!!

Last edited by joedog; 11-14-12 at 08:40 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 06:06 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Line color isn't something I think a whole lot about.

85% of my fishing is done with FC, and all of the FC line I use is clear.

I prefer clear for mono as well, and almost always a Sufix product. They make the best mono I've personally used and probably one of the best per price.

When I use braid, I like to use a color I can see well. Sufix 832 comes is a neon green that's pretty easy to see. I do a lot of dropshotting with this in 10lb test on a spinning rod with a FC leader. I've currently got a green braid on my frog/pitchin' stick, but will probably switch to a yellow braid of some kind.

BB
Old 11-16-12, 03:13 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Toray_Bawo_Polyamide_Plus_164yds/descpage-BWPPN.html
and for comparison
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_Trilene_100_Fluorocarbon_Clear/descpage-BTFCC.html

Next is spendy but not retail to retail maybe.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lucky_Craft_Iron_Athlete_Mono_Topwater_Line/descpage-LCIAMT.html
Thats for 110 ft. so 220ft would be twice the price.

Tavery I DON'T USE MONO!
This year is probably the first mono I bought in 10 YEARS!
The cost I mentioned were generalities and probably not right.
You know I may research my statements more than anyone on this site. But sometimes I maybe wrong.
Sorry!!!

Some interesting lines, the Toray Polyamide line is something I had never heard of, I tried to do some research about it, but I can't find anyone who has ever used it. Polyamide Nylon, is the same type of stuff they use in inner workings of Paracord, I heard they also use it some in clothing. Not much else I could find about it.

I think for the most part Mono line is generally about 1/2 or less the price of FC. I hated FC line when I first started using it, I am sure there are some old posts here where I expressed my disappointment with the line. But something in the back of my head kept telling me, if a majority of the Pro's are using this line and trusting their livelihood to it, I have to be missing something. As much as it pained me, I kept trying to find a FC line that had the properties that I wanted. I talked to people, read reviews but in the end I had to just test it for myself. I have found a line that works well for me, it is expensive but it has a nice set of characteristics that I feel make it a very good line.

I use Seaguar Tatsu, the color is clear, but it does have a goldish hue to it. I am not one who is overly concerned with line color, I believe that at any depth at all, most lines will lose their ability to reflect light and fall somewhere into the gray scale range of color. I find other properties much more important.
Old 11-16-12, 07:46 PM   #15
pro reel

I think that I have seen times where it really made a difference and times where it didn't. I saw an article from berkly on the same subject along with the subject of lure colors as well as hook colors. I can't remember what mag it was in, but it was good. It basically sugested matching line color to background. Thats what I was already doing. Many years ago I found that green lines seemed to blend into green tinted water better than clear blue. Clear or clear blue was the only stuff that looked good in clear water. The red lines probably work well in red mud water or tea stained water, as the red probably looks brown a few feet down. The gold colors prob work good in stained water also. Weather or not it affects the fish is first and foremost determined by the technique. With fast moving reaction baits, it probably doesn't matter. Fish hit those from a reaction trigger. With slow moving baits or worse yet stationary baits such as drop shots etc. I'm always going to have more confidence in a line that blends in. It might be interesting that although FC lines were toted as being invisible, we all know they are not. They have the same refraction as water, so that helps to reduce glare, but even in FC line, I will use the green tint in weedy lakes even if the water is clear as i think the green line will blend into the weeds I fish around. I will use clear line in a clear water weedy lake if I fish in the open water. Some new FC lines are now available in a blue tint. They are touted as being good for baits where the fish is apt to be looking up. That makes sence as I always used blue tinted mono for topwater. Figure the fish sees a blue sky overhead.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 10:14 PM   #16
merc1997

i know that i am the odd man out when talking about color of fishing line. i use FLORESCENT. day and night. i have had people for years sit in my boat, fishing in the daytime, and tell me how many more bass they would catch using their green or clear line. it still has not happened. when i consistently catch more bass, and bigger bass than the person i am fishing with, and this includes fishing from the back of the boat, then i will look at using the so called invisible lines. here is another thing to consider. lets say you are fishing a jig. in particular, a traditional jig with a center based bristle bundle weedguard. many of you FAN out the weedguard. now you are telling me that a bass is going to recognize your fishing line more than than bristle bundle all fanned out??? think about that question a bit and then report back your explanation of this phenominom. how about the great big hook in your jig???? lets put that into the equation to. i am not against those that adhere to using the invisible lines. i would just like a more scientific explanation behind the reasoning. how do you take out all of the other more visble things on the lure we have attached to the line???? just asking.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 10:27 PM   #17
merc1997

one thing else to add or ask. is there any science to using "invisble" line, or is it more marketing???? i will add an actual fishing happening. i was guiding a pro here on table rock before a b.a.s.s. event. i was fishing in the back of the boat. the pro spotted a bass on the bed and wanted to catch it. he was using 8lb. floro, and a tube, t-rigged. he was telling me all the benefits of using floro. after 40 minutes, he gave up on catching that bass. i was using 30lb test flame green fire line braid. i had on a 1/4 oz. nujig with a gitzit stuck on the back of it. i told him that i could catch that bass. so, he let me on the troller. first cast, i caught the bass, about a 3 1/2lber. i then posed the same question that i am asking. now, do you still think your invisible line made any difference??? by the way, i fish for trout in roaring river state park with florescent line too. catch a lot of trout right beside those using their invisible lines, and they have not caught a trout all day. okay, everyone fire away. this should be enough to get the cybernet flying with comments and arguments.

bo
Old 11-19-12, 01:05 AM   #18
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
i know that i am the odd man

You control what you can control, I can't control that jigs have weed guards, and that they use metal for their hooks, but I can use a less visible line.

I always wonder about people who think they have to continuously tell me how good they are.
Old 11-19-12, 03:59 AM   #19
joedog

Bo, you've forgotten more than I'll ever know!

I personally like the fact you showed or told a comparison tale with side by side comparisons. Proof I believe is in the proven results!

Now I have to ask just because I'm a question type a guy.
Have you had an experience where you've fished NuJig on fluorescent next to NuJig on Fluoro?
What happened?
Now you mention fluorescent. Talking mono and braid?
Is there a reason you choose Fluorescent?

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated!

Last edited by joedog; 11-19-12 at 04:09 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 07:51 AM   #20
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
one thing else to add or ask. is there any science to using "invisble" line, or is it more marketing???? I fish for trout in roaring river state park with florescent line too. catch a lot of trout right beside those using their invisible lines, and they have not caught a trout all day.

bo
I don't know bo, seems to me that extremely skilled and thoughtful fisherman have been buying and using low-vis lines for decades to improve their results. I still use fluorescent line with contact baits on windy days and I certainly don't think fish run from it, but to say that line Manuf's sell millions of dollars worth of clear line every year just because they are good marketeers or that millions of pounds of bass are caught with clear line every year, one would have to believe that it must be the fish themselves that are being hustled by all this slick marketing.

IMHO helicopter lures and banjo minnows and cam shaped jig heads are really more accurate examples of marketing ploys than clear line.
Old 11-19-12, 10:33 AM   #21
pro reel

I think every one of us who has been fishing for a long time have stories of one guy doing way better than another while using similar or different tackle. I know I have heard stories from very experienced anglers who have seen one person who used a thin clear line catch way more bass than another who was in the same boat but used a more noticable line. Does it prove anything? Not in my opinion. There are still to many other variables. I have been in the same boat with the same person many, many times where we were both using the same tackle only to have one guy blow the other out. I have also been the one who was using slightly different tackle and was getting blown out until I switched. My case in point was at a clear water lake where bass were hitting senkos on a slow drop. I wasn't expecting that and my spin rig had a spool of 30 lb green braid. My co angler that day started nailing lots of bass on a senko by letting it drop unweighted over deep water. I tried it and caught a few, but it was a blow out in his favor for quite a while. I finally dug into my bag and found a spool of 6 lb clear lin, I re riged the spinning rig with that spool, set it back up with a senko on a small hook and started catching a bass to every bass my co was catching. The only thing I did different was to use a different line. Does that mean the bass were line shy? Nope! still other variables to consider. What do you think the fall rate of my bait on 30 Lb braid was compared to the fall rate of his bait on 6 lb FC? I can guarantee it was different. So, was it the fall rate or was it the line visibility, or was it both? My guess was that the fall rate was much more important that day than any other factor, but there is no way to know if the visibility had anything to do with it or not.
The next thing that goes hand in hand with line visibilty is sensitivity. It won't matter diddly if a bass picks your bait up on clear line if you don't feel it. For many types of fishing, sometimes the ability to feel the bite or to see the line move is going to be way more important, especialy if you don't have great vision to be able to notice a slight line movement in clear line. Thats where an easy to see braid may have a distinct advantage.
Bo, you obviuosly did something different to catch the fish you caught. I don't think that the fish bit your bait because you used florescent braid, just in spite of it. I can't believe that your co that day didn't get bit because of his clear FC line, he obviously wasn't hitting the sweet spot of the bed or the bass just didn't care about his bait but did yours.
For me personally, I have seen the time when I was positive that line visibility made a difference. That would be on drop shot fishing where the only variable was the line visibility. I have seen the times when it was the lines effect on the action or fall rate of the bait that must have been the difference. And, I have seen the times when it was the ability to feel a very subtle strike that was the difference. No one line is perfect for all conditions, but one line may be perfect for one person who doesn't fish a lot of different techniques and is very good at the techniques they fish.
I still would have to wonder if a different line of less visiblity might make a difference of catching even more fish on some days?
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 01:14 AM   #22
merc1997

pro reel hit on a couple of good points. one of them being fall or sink rate. now that is more condusive to getting a strike out of bass than line visibility. here is another case in point. i fished with a guy that was catching bass split shoting. he was using 8lb. floro. and a french fry. he was doing quite well in the bite department, but not in the putting them in the boat dept.. i was fishing with 14lb. florescent stren. i too went to a french fry with the sinker pegged up the line. but, i tinkered with the sinker size until our baits dropped at the same rate. i got bit just as well as my partner did, but i put my fish in the boat because i was using a line heavy enough to get the bass out of the cedars we were fishing in. again, the lesson here is depth and speed control. there are some days that the direction you are fishing with the sun that you can see your invisible lines some, but it is the other way around far more. now, you factor in it being windy, and you have to use a ligther weight that day to produce the right fall rate, and you have a bad combination. not only can you not see your line, but you can not feel it either. you may be getting bit like hell, but would never know it. but, if you were using a line you could see, and lets just say you get 20% fewer strikes on a visible line, you are still going to catch more fish, because you saw all of your strikes. many of your may be too young to remember the old days when our line was black dacron. i still caught plenty of fish back then too. i will still put my emphasis on depth and speed control and use a line i can see.

bo
Old 11-20-12, 02:29 AM   #23
Tavery5

So who do you think would of caught more fish if he went to 14 pound fluorocarbon?
Old 11-20-12, 06:19 AM   #24
joedog

Toney, here you go.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtoraypoly.html
Old 11-20-12, 06:51 PM   #25
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
So who do you think would of caught more fish if he went to 14 pound fluorocarbon?
that would depend on if he was smart enough to get his fall rate correct. and, two if he could see the bites. i caught most of my fish seeing the bite, and not depending on being able to feel the fish pulling me down.

bo

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.