Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-18-14, 07:07 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Big cranks, shallow water.

Has anyone tried this? I fish a lake that has a lot of water in the 6-10 foot range that is rather void of vegetation but lots of small rock. I'm thinking about trying a couple large deep diver crank baits worked slowly along the bottom to see if a crank bait with a large profile in shallow water rock will draw some action. Have you tried this?
Old 06-18-14, 07:42 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I haven't tried it, but bass readily take crankbaits, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work. You don't say how large is large, but if it's reasonable it won't deter bass.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-14, 08:52 PM   #3
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm thinking a Bandit 300 or DT10 might be "big" enough.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-14, 10:17 PM   #4
joedog

I think a lot of pros do just what your talking about.

I'm not a big cranker but hitting bottom if possible I hear is a good technique.
Hitting bottom and letting it float up 6-12 inches and back to hitting the bottom again and repeating is also good.
Old 06-18-14, 10:27 PM   #5
mikechell

I've got a couple of very large crank baits. They are swim baits, just large ... 4 inch body that's about 1 1/2 inch in diameter ... with large bills. Here in my neck of Florida, most of the water is less than 10 feet. Most of the bottom is muck. But when I get to a sandy area, or a shell bed, I've tied one of those cranks on. Usually, I don't get anything, and go back to my weightless soft plastic. But bringing it in just fast enough to tick it off the bottom ... when it does get hit, it's always been a huge bass. I like it because it's a very slow crank bait presentation, yet if it does contact a snag, slacking the line lets it float free. I think it looks like a fish picking food off the bottom.

Good luck.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-14, 10:44 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey everyone, you follow this topic and add your input over at the BassChat Forum:

http://basschat.yuku.com/topic/205/B...k#.U6JOBCiPPFo
Old 06-18-14, 10:57 PM   #7
keithdog

I'm talking about Norman DD22's and Rapala DT16. Worked at a crawl, just fast enough to keep them digging through the gravel with an occasional speed up.
Old 06-19-14, 07:33 AM   #8
mikechell

Yep ... me too. Big fat deep diver, just moved through the water fast enough to "tick" off the bottom. Don't drag it, unless you're using a craw colored lure. Craws puff up silt as they run. Sunfish and shiners pick at small bits of "food" as they cruise the bottom. Still, the ticking draws the attention, the size makes it a good meal.
Old 06-19-14, 06:00 PM   #9
IowaBasser

I don't throw many crank-baits, but wouldn't a DD-22 would run too deep? Yes, you could slow down your presentation to keep that big lip from digging in. It seems to me that a square-bill would be better in water less than 10 feet. You can always give it a try and see if it works for you.

I don't think you'd ever see KVD throwing something he had work that slow - he'd find a lure that he could retrieve as fast as possible while keeping in contact with the bottom.

Keep us informed with how it works out for you!
Old 06-19-14, 06:28 PM   #10
OkobojiEagle

Maybe if this KVD fella was able to register on this site he'd have a chance to learn some of our collective fishin' smarts!

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-14, 08:40 PM   #11
mikechell

Pro bassers are fishing for numbers. They fish fast lures to cover as much water as possible, thus increasing the chance to get a limit. Then they slow down and go for bigger bass to cull with.
But the whole point of using super sized crank in shallow water IS to slow down as much as possible. I can tell you, at least where I fish, slower will get you bigger. Since there's so much silt and debris on the bottom here, I usually fish weightless Texas rigged soft plastics, so that I can fish it super slow, on the bottom. But if I think a crank bait is the way to go, I fish one as slow as I can.
Old 06-19-14, 11:09 PM   #12
keithdog

A square bill will no doubt reflect off the rocks better than a big deep diver, but at a faster pace. What I'm thinking is a large profile crank that can be worked along the bottom stirring things up at a slower pace. That's the idea anyways. I'll let you know. I'm going to try this on June 27th. Will let you know what happens.
Old 06-20-14, 06:19 AM   #13
lilmule

6-19 ft is not shallow but mid depth for most cranks,square lip oroddly reallly large baits like the discontinued big o or loudmouth in as little as 1 1/2 ft one sees the wake coming at the bait.
4 in swimbaits are not large,5-6 in are considered numbers baits.Think about it spring one uses 5 even 6 in jerkbaits if old school like bomber,spots 10 in long jump all over them,other than thicker little difference.
Most of the large 8-9 in swimbaits are also made in a floater so one can walk the dog in skinny water.Just bought one 5,2 6 1/2 and one 7,and not really large yet more like medium in them.Bull shad in 8 or 9 in find me a back brace please.
Besisdes last rod I bought an okuma 7 ft 11 in is only rated to 6 oz baits,so thinking im medium for a bit.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-14, 07:45 PM   #14
Dave63

All the time. Just take it easy because a 6xd (for example) will find all kinds of crap to get hung up behind at that depth. Like rocks. No big deal, just go behind it and it'll pop off most of the time with no problem.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.