Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-04-04, 04:35 AM   #1
spidey04
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spidey04
Default A bit confused

Durring the Classic this weekend, I saw the commentator talking to one of the vendors in the booths at the show and they had a new line and it was RED, Supposedly the fish cant see it in the water, but it is easier for you to see above the water. I think the name was something like Creol Red or something like that. Cant remember. Anyhow, here is my question. The newest FAD in Lures are these Blood baits. Ie. I have a blood bait crank bait, and a blood bait Buzz bait that works the red in to the color of the lure to draw strikes. and of course there have been Blood hooks for a while, (Great for trout BTW).
So If the fish can see the red on these baits, why can't they see the red of the line.
???
spidey04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 04:51 AM   #2
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown
Default Re: A bit confused

That is a very good question. The answer to it, is don't believe everything a company says about their product. There is no line on the market that is invisible to bass. There might be some that are less visible, but none that are invisible. As far as the red hooks go, well, I have seen no increase in catches due to this either. Companies that make baits and line like this are just looking for a new nitch in the market. That is just my opinion, good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 05:14 AM   #3
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I believe it was P.T. Barnum who said it best. "There's a sucker born every minute."

Now. From what we were told all these many years ago, before the "red craze" hit, red is the first color to be absorbed by water.

In fact we were told that red simply vanishes around 10 feet or so. Doesn't mean the object becomes invisible, just the color red is gone. Go figure.

Frankly I don't believe a fish can "see" line. Even if they do, I don't think they're smart enough to know what it is. (Can you picture one fish nudging another... Hey look. It's Stren again.)

I think, and this is just my personal opinion, and I have no data to back this up, the reason lighter line "works" better is the lighter line simply allows a bait to more more naturally in water due to it's decreased diameter creating less resistance.

Again going back to the "good old days", Stren used to make a bright yellow line that glowed in the water like a Star Wars light saber. I caught just as many fish on it as anything, maybe more, because I could see it.

Having said all that I will admit that red has always been one of the most popular colors for fish, especially bass, baits. Red and white Daredevil spoons, red/white Heddon River Runt's (I'll bet you young wippersnappers never heard of either of them.) Red/white Jitterbugs, etc.

Why? Who knows. If you believe red hooks work for you, go for 'em. They won't hurt. If you think red line is the cats meow, same thing. (I think it's called Cajun line.)
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 05:20 AM   #4

The new line that you are talking about is called Cajun Red, I have not tried this line because I have very good confidence in the line that I use. This new line is supposed to disappear under the water but remain highly visable above the water. As for the red baits and hooks and such, I have not had very good success with an all red bait, but have noticed a increase on texas rigs, carolina rigs and crankbaits that have red hooks, on the crankbait ONLY replace the front hook with a red one, and upsize on hook size
Old 08-04-04, 06:52 AM   #5
jeff_in_roch
BassFishin.Com Member

Shawn is right.....It's Cajun Red........Translucent red is invisable in water.........do the fish care?.......NO, they are zeroed in on the action of the bait, Is the line any good?......Some on here like it, I hated it, it gains memory like an S.O.B.

Stevo
jeff_in_roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:57 AM   #6
davew

[quote author=SMcCray link=board=news;num=1091604908;start=0#0 date=08/04/04 at 03:35:07]Durring the Classic this weekend, I saw the commentator talking to one of the vendors in the booths at the show and they had a new line and it was RED, Â*Supposedly the fish cant see it in the water, but it is easier for you to see above the water. Â*I think the name was something like Creol Red or something like that. Â*Cant remember. Â*Anyhow, here is my question. Â*The newest FAD in Lures are these Blood baits. Â*Ie. Â*I have a blood bait crank bait, and a blood bait Buzz bait that works the red in to the color of the lure to draw strikes. Â*and of course there have been Blood hooks for a while, (Great for trout BTW). Â*
So If the fish can see the red on these baits, why can't they see the red of the line.
???[/quote]

Red line is transparent
Red is the 1st color of the light spectrum to disappear
Therefore red line is invisible after about 6' feet

Red hooks and red baits are not transparent
Therefore they do not disappear
And most believe this imitates blood

As far as the cajun coiling up on you Jag
As aksed before
was it left in a hot vehicle or out in the sun for a while on a hot day?
Only 1 of my poles had that issue witht he cajun
I left it in the back seat in the sun for a few days ...
Sun can dammage line a lot
Old 08-04-04, 11:36 AM   #7
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

[quote author=SMcCray link=board=news;num=1091604908;start=0#0 date=08/04/04 at 03:35:07]Durring the Classic this weekend, I saw the commentator talking to one of the vendors in the booths at the show and they had a new line and it was RED, Â*Supposedly the fish cant see it in the water, but it is easier for you to see above the water. Â*I think the name was something like Creol Red or something like that. Â*Cant remember. Â*Anyhow, here is my question. Â*The newest FAD in Lures are these Blood baits. Â*Ie. Â*I have a blood bait crank bait, and a blood bait Buzz bait that works the red in to the color of the lure to draw strikes. Â*and of course there have been Blood hooks for a while, (Great for trout BTW). Â*
???[/quote]
Thats funny I said the same thing the other day Heres the deal though. I bought some of this stuff about a month ago. It aint bad. It has a little more stretch than I like. The memory isn't all that bad. As far as the invisibility in the water. Well it seems to be ok in the dirty stuff but everything else is too. As far as the clear water I don't think so. I don't think that if you bought some you actually wasted your money, but there are better lines out there.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:40 PM   #8
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Fancy this, fancy that. Pros and all their fancy crap to try and catch more fish.

Cast out. Present. Catch fish.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 03:27 PM   #9
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Lone_Archer link=board=news;num=1091604908;start=0#7 date=08/04/04 at 12:40:55]Fancy this, fancy that. Pros and all their fancy crap to try and catch more fish.

Cast out. Present. Catch fish.[/quote]
I agree with that to an extent Lone. But what kind of equipment do you have know compared to say what they had just 15 years ago?
Old 08-04-04, 04:52 PM   #10
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

if u want a invisable line buy stren flourocarbon
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 04:58 PM   #11
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

The rod I use is over 25 years old. My brother used it before me. Works as fine as any of the newer ones I've tried.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 05:29 PM   #12
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

lone
you would probably be getting better hooksets if you got yourself a newer rod...the rods they made 25 yrs ago for the most part can't compare to the rods of today.i'm not being critical,just trying to help you catch more fish..
i think if you fished with say..i dunno..maybe a berkrley lightening rod and then fish with yours,you would see a world of difference..
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:04 PM   #13
jeff_in_roch
BassFishin.Com Member

LOL, Aight Dave, I'll admit it....Me being the simpleton that i am, I did leave it in the sun. I still think the fish arent seeing anything past the action of the lure though.

;D ;D ;D DING! DING! Round 2
jeff_in_roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:12 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Guess I'm getting old-Cajun, I caught a lot of bass on that old yellow Stren and used the old red/white daredevil spoons and river runts on a regular basis. I probably still have a few hidden someplace in that black hole of a tackle box I used to use.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 08:08 AM   #15
davew

[quote author=Jag link=board=news;num=1091604908;start=0#12 date=08/04/04 at 17:04:41]LOL, Aight Dave, I'll admit it....Me being the simpleton that i am, I did leave it in the sun. I still think the fish arent seeing anything past the action of the lure though.

;D ;D ;D DING! DING! Round 2
[/quote]

I would agree with that..
I just figured since i spooled up 6 poles with it this year..
and only had coil issues with one
which I did leave in the hot car in the sun for a few days
that may have been the issue

Thank you please drive through
LOL

Old 08-07-04, 01:04 AM   #16
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking

anyone really think "red blood" on baits actually works. ive cleaned enough fish to know they really dont bleed until you get to the spinal colum. or the gils.
i think alota these color schemes are only good at catching fisherman in the store! i speak from experience i get caught by something every time i walk through. bet there a guy watching the security camera wh ;Dooping it up as i pick stuff up "yup gota nother one" "fisherman on!" "get the net up to cash register this guys gota cart full"
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-04, 12:00 PM   #17
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

bump
Old 08-07-04, 04:33 PM   #18
bassguy2004

I just saw an ad in Western Outdoor News about the Cajun red line. The ad says it disappears in water. Seems hard to believe. Maybe I'll just get a reel fill pack and see what happens.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.