Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-31-12, 10:44 PM   #1
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Cranking question

I have no problem using a small shallow (6 ft. or so) crankbait. If I use larger, deeper running crankbaits, my hands go numb (carpal tunnel) and my elbow (tennis elbow?) starts screaming after just a few casts. Am I just doing it wrong or am I just falling apart and need to concentrate on using only the small cranks and other bait? Any advice on how to relieve the pressure on wrist and elbow would be greatly appreciated, if it is possible to do so.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-12, 11:12 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Without knowing the details, I would guess it's the equipment. I don't know if equipment designed for deep cranking would eliminate your problems, but I would bet it would make it less severe.
Old 08-31-12, 11:15 PM   #3
Jrob78

I agree with Tavery, deep crankbaits create a lot of drag and can be tough to retrieve. A reel with a low gear ratio and a fiberglass rod, or at the very least, a moderate action graphite rod will help absorb some of that drag.
Old 08-31-12, 11:17 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

That was my first thought, too. I'd definitely use a low gear ratio reel (low retrieval rate, actually) for those deep divers. The one I use is a 4.6:1 ratio.....it gives you a lot more torque, so it takes less effort to turn the handle. That should help relieve a lot of the strain on your wrist, hand, and elbow.
Old 08-31-12, 11:21 PM   #5
Bassin' Gal

Thanks for the input guys. I don't know much about the details of our rods. That is hubby's department. HA! I guess that means I have to find out the details of the rod I use for cranking and see if we have one that is fiberglass or graphite that I can switch to. I figured it was just old age!!
Old 08-31-12, 11:23 PM   #6
Bassin' Gal

Thanks Mississippi boy. I will check on my reel too!
Old 09-01-12, 12:12 AM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin' Gal View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I don't know much about the details of our rods. That is hubby's department. HA! I guess that means I have to find out the details of the rod I use for cranking and see if we have one that is fiberglass or graphite that I can switch to. I figured it was just old age!!
The rod you're using now is probably graphite. You need a moderate action graphite rod designed for cranking. Moderate action means the rod blank flexes over a greater portion of the length of the rod, instead of just at the tip. The more the rod flexes, the more it absorbs the strain and pressure of trying to reel in that big, deep diving crankbait.

Fiberglass rods, by nature, are more flexible, "whippy" rods. When you reel in a big crankbait that creates a lot of resistance in the water, the whole rod will bend, absorbing a lot of the "weight" that crankbait is creating. I have no idea if the rod, combined with a low gear ratio reel, would alleviate your problem but it definitely wouldn't make it any worse.
Old 09-01-12, 04:58 AM   #8
Bassin' Gal

Thanks jrob. That explanation tells me that we probably don't have the proper rod. Hubby is very much a soft plastics guy and rarely uses cranks. I am just trying to learn about a greater variety of techniques and cranking is whipping my behind. Or at least my wrists and elbow!
Old 09-01-12, 05:14 AM   #9
kennethdaysale

If you're using a spinning reel it's going to put lot's of pressure on your wrist/elbow even with the right rod regardless of the gear ratio. Of course a baitcaster still involves both those joints but a little less harsh.

Another help would be to pick crankbaits with the least resistance http://www.fishingtackledepot.biz/AB...ITS-s/2356.htm . Tight wiggling cranks like a Shad Rap SR9 will dive to 10-12 ft on 10lb test and a long cast with less resistance than a KVD1.5

A small lipless crank can be worked deep and slides through the water with relative ease. Good Luck
Old 09-01-12, 08:03 AM   #10
lilmule

Traps while a different action can run deep and not offer as much resistance.
While not exactly same problem severed ulnar nerve years go,had rods yanked out hand due less strength and little feeling,regained a lot of that strength yet severe charly horses occur if utilized to much.
While not related other than the disability,I can rack a 45 slide and shoot it just cant do it many times in a row,so in order to qualify recently for cc lic,purchased a pt 22 in a tip up barrel,as had to rack min of 8 times in a row.With failure to feeds and eject adding to that.Hit it 48 out of 48.
So having the correct eq such a a limber rod and a bait that wont fight back helps,but wont totally solve the problem just a way around it.And yes wear the brace.If you feel its to cumbersome buy an elastic support will help some.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-12, 01:07 PM   #11
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
If you're using a spinning reel it's going to put lot's of pressure on your wrist/elbow even with the right rod regardless of the gear ratio. Of course a baitcaster still involves both those joints but a little less harsh.

Another help would be to pick crankbaits with the least resistance http://www.fishingtackledepot.biz/AB...ITS-s/2356.htm . Tight wiggling cranks like a Shad Rap SR9 will dive to 10-12 ft on 10lb test and a long cast with less resistance than a KVD1.5

A small lipless crank can be worked deep and slides through the water with relative ease. Good Luck
Along with a moderate action 7 foot rod and lower gear ratio reel like a 4.7:1, Kenneths suggestion is a great alternative untill you get the crankbait outfit you need. The larger Shad Raps will be much easier on your wrist and hand that the standard crankbaits. And they work great with spinning tackle as well.
Old 09-01-12, 01:25 PM   #12
OkobojiEagle

I had carpal tunnel surgery done on both wrists a few years ago and it solved the same symptoms you're speaking of. Fix the problem.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-12, 01:38 PM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:

Good advice here.

My comments were based on you using casting equipment, I don't even consider spinning gear when thinking about cranking. If you're using spinning gear, you should consider learning how to use baitcasters.
Old 09-01-12, 07:25 PM   #14
Bassin' Gal

Again, thanks for the input from everyone. Surgery is out of the question at this time. I really don't have much trouble with the carpal tunnel except when using those monster crankbaits. I do use a baitcaster. We spent the day on the lake today and I used my little Spro crank and caught my only 4 fish on it. Will have to tell Santa that I need a good crankbait rod and reel for Christmas. I will give those lipless ones a try. I think hubby has some in his tackle box. I will raid it while he sleeps and rig my rods with them. thanks again!
Old 09-02-12, 02:37 PM   #15
Crankbait

Default extended handle

BG I have gone to using rods with extremely long handles for deep cranking. The first rod I used was actually a light saltwater rod but the handle is 16+ inches enough to tuck under my arm while cranking. I think I know what you’re talking about with the arm fatigue because I will crank from 6am to 8pm and it does wear on you. Check out this video…..4minutes into the video is what I’m talking about. And if you can’t find a rod with a long enough handle do what I started doing and have someone extend the handle….really not expensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpCt5rvM7g
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 09:08 PM   #16
Bassin' Gal

Thanks Crankbait. That looks like exactly what I need to relieve the stress on that elbow! My hubby should be able to modify one for me.
Old 09-02-12, 10:25 PM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

These guys have pretty well covered it. Are you snipping off a shallow crank and changing over to the deep or do you have another set up? Tell the hubby just because its right for him, don't mean its right for you hahahahaha. Sounds like you enjoy doing your share of loading the boat and need gear to suit. Big cranks are tough without something to compensate them like the rod and reel though.
Old 09-03-12, 04:51 AM   #18
Bassin' Gal

Hi BB, we usually have 8 set ups with us with a variety of lures. I try to do my share of loading the boat but usually get my fanny handed to me by the hubby. Every now and then I will turn the tables on him though. I believe that the extended handle recommended by Crankbait is going to be the ticket. Now I just have to get hubby to modify one of our rods.
Old 09-03-12, 08:50 PM   #19
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin' Gal View Post
Thanks Crankbait. That looks like exactly what I need to relieve the stress on that elbow! My hubby should be able to modify one for me.
No problem i think you will really like the difference in he feel of the rod while cranking....really takes some of the pressure off your wrist, hand and forearm. the other plus is a longer handle allows your to surf cast those heavier cranks. Gotta do whatever to crank
Old 09-03-12, 09:03 PM   #20
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait;390341[FONT=Calibri
the handle is 16+ inches enough to tuck under my arm while cranking. [/FONT]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpCt5rvM7g
Hey CB thanks for that link. I've been throwin cranks both deep and shallow since Mudbugs and Hellbenders were current. I'm considered a better than average cranker by my peers. I try to keep up with the latest trends and techniques, but I must admit watching that guy work a deep crank by pointing the rod directly at the bait took me off guard. I fish deep cranks with a Curado 200E5 on a technique specific Shimano 7'11" Cumara rod, but for some reason I still would reel them in with my rod tip perpendicular to the line. It just never occured to me. Wow...tried it today and it makes an amazing difference! Thanks again.
Old 09-04-12, 02:08 PM   #21
DVT Mike

Don't forget either that the way most of fish is a physical activity worthy of warm up and stretching, especially as we age. I've found that warming up the arms with some windmills and stretching the wrists and forearms leads to noticably less fatigue. Changing the angle of the rod occasionally may help too. I tend to hold the rod at a 90* to the line while cranking and every so often turn and point the rod ahead to give the wrists a break.
Old 09-04-12, 08:19 PM   #22
Crankbait

Quote:
Hey CB thanks for that link. I've been throwin cranks both deep and shallow since Mudbugs and Hellbenders were current. I'm considered a better than average cranker by my peers. I try to keep up with the latest trends and techniques, but I must admit watching that guy work a deep crank by pointing the rod directly at the bait took me off guard. I fish deep cranks with a Curado 200E5 on a technique specific Shimano 7'11" Cumara rod, but for some reason I still would reel them in with my rod tip perpendicular to the line. It just never occured to me. Wow...tried it today and it makes an amazing difference! Thanks again.
Kenn no problem man. When I first tried I was like “sweet” cause I crank like 90% of the time. And deep cranking is my new thing to master. I usually point the rod at my bait anyway because I use braid and also for me a swing sideways puts quick tension on the line and when I point my rod at the bait I can manipulate my cranks actions better…..not for everyone but it works for meAnd Dvt is right must of use aren't young pups anymore and a little streching can go a long way
Old 09-04-12, 11:06 PM   #23
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bassin' Gal, I'll pretty much guarantee it is your gear, specifically your reel. I throw those big bruisers on a 4.7:1 gear ratio reel, and it makes a HUGE difference. I'm good for maybe 5 casts with a high speed-6.3:1-reel throwing a DD-22, but can go all day with the low gear ratio. If you are thinking about going with a lower gear ratio reel that won't break the bank the Bass Pro Shops Extreme reel will fit the bill nicely. I have several with different gear ratios and have been real happy with them. The lowest GR is 5.4:1 which is OK. Another great reel and the one I use is the Pro Qualifier. It has the 4.7:1 GR but I highly recommend either one.
Old 09-06-12, 07:53 AM   #24
papajoe222
BassFishin.Com Member

I too, am advanced in years and have similar difficulties. I now use a m/h muskie rod that has a long handle which I tuck into my side. I paired that with a 4.9:1 reel. That relieves the strain on my wrist. Prior to that, i would only use the reel to get my crank down. Then I'd use the rod to move it along. Surprisingly, I ended up increasing my catch rate doing this.
papajoe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 09:24 PM   #25
Bassin' Gal

Thanks for the continue input. I don't think I will have any problem getting hubby to modify a handle on one of our rods but right now there is no extra $$$ for a new lower ratio reel. Maybe for Christmas!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.