Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-30-09, 02:25 PM   #1
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rage Shad/Caffeine Shad

Alright guys, I just picked up some Strike King Caffeine Shad and Rage Tail Rage Shad. I've never fished these types of baits before, so I need some pointers/advice on the most effective ways to rig and fish 'em. I was surprised at the difference in shape between both shad imitations. The Caffeine Shad is long and slender while the Rage Shad is short and chunky.
Old 09-30-09, 02:30 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The Caffeine shad and rage shad are two completely different baits meant to fish in completely opposite ways.

The Caffeine shad is similar to a Slug-go or Fluke. They can be t-rigged weightless or on a weighted hook and fished similar to a jerkbait. I love them in the early spring in white or watermelon candy colors.

The Rage Tail shad, on the other hand, is more like a buzzbait or a topwater frog. It is meant to be rigged weedless and fished on top. I've never used them, but they are fished just like a Rage Tail Toad or a Zoom Horny Toad.

BB
Old 09-30-09, 03:30 PM   #3
rodnreel

Well, that wasn't what I was intending on using the Rage Shad for, but the buzzbait has been producing some pretty good numbers for me over the past couple of weeks. So this could be a cool alternative to try. Might be something that's a little more subtle in place of the buzzbait. My thinking on the Caffeine Shad is fall weather is around the corner, if not already here in Ohio. So I wanted something to mimic the shad in my lake. Hopefully I can fill up the 'wells finding bass schooling and feeding on those shad.
Old 09-30-09, 07:26 PM   #4
Bassboss

The caffeine shad is just a jerk bait like a fluke. You fish it traditionally with a weightless or light weighted hook. Cast it out let it sink to the depth you want, and jerk it back and pause it. I do think it would, because of the tail shape, that it would be pretty good on a shaky head though.

The rage tail shad you fish no different than a rippit frog. It's a killer top water bait around pads and reeds, probably one of my faves when the water is murky, raining, or choppy. Fish it weightless on 30 or 40lb braided line. Other wise if it's clearer, and calm, I opt more for the Stanley rippit frogs better.
Old 09-30-09, 08:48 PM   #5
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I gotta go the other way than the two BB's with the rage tail shads , most the time I throw them it is on a weighted hook so they run lower in the water and fish more like a swim bait , not taking anything away from the bait as a top water but they are killer when fished the other way as well .

Jim
Old 09-30-09, 10:39 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
I gotta go the other way than the two BB's with the rage tail shads , most the time I throw them it is on a weighted hook so they run lower in the water and fish more like a swim bait , not taking anything away from the bait as a top water but they are killer when fished the other way as well .

Jim
That's a great idea too. I bet they'd make a great trailer on a swim jig too!

BB
Old 10-01-09, 09:35 AM   #7
rodnreel

Jim80, that is the way I was thinking of fishing the bait when I bought it. I took one out of the package and noticed that the tail is attached to the body of the bait. Is it best to cut the tail loose or to leave it the way it is? Either way, I'm gonna have to try this out both ways to see which works best on my lake. Thanks guys.
Old 10-01-09, 01:22 PM   #8
BigBassin144

You need to cut the tail loose so it swims.

BB
Old 10-03-09, 04:41 PM   #9
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post
Jim80, that is the way I was thinking of fishing the bait when I bought it. I took one out of the package and noticed that the tail is attached to the body of the bait. Is it best to cut the tail loose or to leave it the way it is? Either way, I'm gonna have to try this out both ways to see which works best on my lake. Thanks guys.

Definitely cut the tail loose or it will not swim properly . Even if you choose not to use a weighted hook the will swim under the surface by you lowering your rod tip.

Jim
Old 10-04-09, 08:53 PM   #10
rodnreel

Well, both these out this weekend. I really like the action on the Rage Shad. I haven't caught any fish on it yet, but the commotion this thing causes on the surface is awesome. I've really been catching good numbers on a buzzbait the past week or so and I think I will give the Rage Shad a chance in its place.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.