Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-09, 03:58 PM   #1
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing Main Lake Points

I'm wanting to fish in deeper water on these main lake points but have had no luck with the dropshot which usually works pretty well. The water is pretty dingy (maybe 4 inches if visibility) So I know I need something that send out some good vibration right? What technique would you use if you were to fish in about 20-25 ft of water on a Main lake point?
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-09, 05:06 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, since the water is dingy, my guess is the bass will be holding pretty tight to bottom cover...if they're there. A crank deep enough to get down there will work, but it's a workout. I like Norman DD-22's. If you use 8-10 lb fluorocarbon, you should be able to get it down to 22 feet. They yo-yo really well too, if you find yourself digging in. Dig it in a few cranks, let it float up a little bit, then send it down again, over and over.

A jig will work too, but with the dingy water, they might not see it, unless it were right on top of them. I guess you could use a jig with a couple of rattles to get their attention.

All that aside, this just screams 3/4 oz. spinnerbait, with an extra large willow blade. A willow so you can get it down deep, but extra large so it still puts out a good thump like a smaller colorado would. Some may disagree, but at 25 ft., I don't think color is going to matter much on a spinnerbait.
Old 11-03-09, 10:13 PM   #3
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Depends on the cover at 20-25'. Chunk rock or gravel and I'd yo-yo a spoon or silver buddy. Wood or similar cover and the jig or t-rigged plastics would be my choice. If grass I'd use a crankbait over it and thick grass I'd punch a craw. But that's me.....what do you feel are your best techniques?
Old 11-04-09, 01:02 AM   #4
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Im gonna add on nofears and say Ledge Buster 1oz or 1 1/2oz spinner bait for the advantage over cranks. 1. They stay in the strike zone longer when your looking at that kinda depth 2. Its effortless. I agree with 3d on the Silver buddy and most deff a big ole jig with rattles. I would also try bumping up your DS rig bigger more vib baits like some type of creature. Also something that has worked for me is yo yo rattle traps the biggest one you can get your hands on they displace alot of water.
Old 11-04-09, 03:39 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

I agree with nofear on the jig. However if the lake gets much fishing pressure I would go without rattles no matter how muddy the water is, fish will find a jig I don't care how much color the water has and at times rattles can do more harm than good. Instead of rattles I would use a trailer that moves a lot of water but doesn't have a lot of bulk so that the jig will stay on the bottom easier. A Yamamoto twin tail grub is one trailer that is perfect for this situation. It is less bulky than a Zoom Fat Albert so it will stay in contact with the bottom better but the legs will still move a lot of water and fish will pick up on these vibrations. Unless I misread your post, I am assmuming that the water just got muddy and generally is more clear. If that is the case don't be affraid to fish shallow on the point because a lot of times the fish will get shallow and hold on shallow cover. I would use 2 different jigs on these points, a smaller jig for up shallow and a heavier jig for out deeper. I would go with a finesse jig and a baby brush hog on the smaller jig and like I mentioned earlier a Yamamoto Twin Tailed grub on the bigger jig. Black and Blue is always a good color in muddy water but the fish can find food easier than you think in muddy water so don't be affraid to go with some Green Pumpkins or Watermelons as colors either and if you can color the tips on the trailers with Chartruese that is even better.
Old 11-04-09, 04:00 PM   #6
zooker

OH YEAH MUD HOLLI-O!!... my favorite... Any bait you use needs to be in serious contact with structure.. Be it a jig on rocks or stumps, or a blade skidding down a laydown. On an open point I would go 10" junebug/black lizard on a carolina rig.. Slow and accurate is the key.. A jig 5" off a dock support wont catch as many fish as a jig 1" off the same support.

zooker
Old 11-04-09, 05:00 PM   #7
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the ideas, It will be a few more days until I am able to get back out there. I'm diggin all of those ideas, I think the deepest crank I have will go down 16feet, which isnt enough. I actually tried that on a few points. I was going to entertain a 10-inch ol monster or something like that but didn't feel that it would make enough vibrations in muddy water. I feel most confident in throwing a football head jig down there and slowly drag it or hop it. I will probably switch to a zoom speed vibe craw (trailer) to get some extra vibrations since I dont have rattles and try that, then perhaps get a spinnerbait down in there. Thanks guys and keep the ideas comin if you should think of anything.
Old 11-04-09, 06:09 PM   #8
zooker

Will,

This is what I face on a normal basis..

I know for experience they wont be deep-not in muddy water-.. at most 8-10 feet deep..

I have over a thousand fishing post on this board do a search and you'll see what type of baits I use in muddy or clear water for that matter..

zooker
Old 11-05-09, 05:43 PM   #9
n8sbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Main lake points in fairly deep water is my wheel house! They WILL hit a football head jig at that depth even in really dirty water. There will always be fish deep, but I agree with zooker, the active fish usually won't be as deep in muddy water. I'm not a fan of the big worm in cooler water, but in the summer it would be my first choice as a back-up to the jig. If the water in your lake is always dingy, the bass will find your baits! Most creatures that bass eat blend in with their environment! That said, newly dirty water can be a little trickier!
Just my 2 cents
n8sbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 01:06 PM   #10
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool thanks Zook, I will do some searching. I really appreciate it. The water should start to clear up but I definetly need to educate myself. Thanks so much!!!
Old 11-19-09, 12:13 AM   #11
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For deep muddy water I use either a big heavy jig (bare minimun 3/8) or a 3/8 spinnerbait with a colorado and a willow on it, had a lot of success recently with the spinnerbait.
Old 11-19-09, 10:41 AM   #12
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Don't be afraid to try out a dropshot on those deep points, too. I know this is seen mostly as a deep, clear water technique, but my home lake, which has pretty dingy water, gives up some quality bass every year on the dropshot.

I saw this very cool application of the dropshot rig yesterday searching stuff online. You guys have probably heard of the Punch Skirts by Paycheck Baits. Its your typical dropshot setup, except above the hook you add one of these punch skirts and a weight stop to keep it in place. Use a creature bait instead of the typical finesse worm and the end result is a jig presented as a dropshot.

The video shows the dropshot rig as well as the same idea applied to a carolina rig. I think it would definitely be worth trying.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zandertt#p/u/5/lh3cxv-uNCc

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.