Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-09, 02:07 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default How important is having consistent equipment?

Hey everybody. I remember a little over a year ago, I read an article on Rick Clunn's webpage that was talking about how important it is to have the same rods and reels for all techniques.

Now I can see how this advice would even branch out to having not necessarily the same action for everything, but at least the same company, as rod blanks from a specific company all have the same relative weight and style.

So I'm wondering how important you think it is to have the same rod/reel; say all Daiwa Light and Tough, or all Powell, etc.

I'm as serious about everything having to do with bass fishing as someone can get, so take that into mind.

Thanks
-Jules
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 02:20 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There is something to be said for it. There are a few things at play here.

First, how much are you going to diversify your tackle? I know you said "not necessarily the same action for everything" but if you do tend to buy the same actions over and over, it often will end with you getting the same brands. For instance if you throw larger baits you might be more inclined to go with Garcia round reels than you otherwise would be.

Ultimatly, I dont think it is needed. I started out being a big Garcia guy, but since then I have also purchased BPS and Pinnacle reels to supplement the margins - cause before the REVO at least, Garcia didnt specialize in low profile fast reels.
Old 02-01-09, 04:03 AM   #3
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

i like to have consistency. i guess its more or less like...i know that company X is a good company with great products. they have helped me time and time again to get that bite when nothing else helped. so confidense in one thing versus five. sorry if this is confusing but my .02
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 08:52 AM   #4
pig n jig

I buy whatever works best for how I present the lure selection.For example, one who flips jigs would want a different action rod than one who pitches jigs.Yes you can use the same rod for both but you will be compromising either or both presentations.It would be advantagious to refine your rod selection to better suit the specific lure presentation style you use most often.I am not loyal to one brand for rods and reels but I can be very loyal to specific brands for certain lures.Zoom super flukes and Reaction innovation beaver baits are a good example.They are many other brands with the same lure type but they do not work as well for me. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 10:22 AM   #5
zooker

rod/reels are like tools-wrenches- just because a 3/4" craftsman wrench will turn a nut it don't mean a 3/4" stanley wont.

i use what works for me.. yes i own 30 fenwick rods but not all of them are the same shape or have the same feel.. it depends on what works for you..

zooker
Old 02-01-09, 10:53 AM   #6
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I heard last year that Clunn only uses 7'6" H jigging sticks for everything. Same reels just different lines and gear ratios. I'm not even sure how you can do that, but he said he does and it works for him. I know that wouldn't work for me, and I no Clunn by any stretch of the imagination.

Since I have different rods for different presentations, it really doesn't matter the make, length, action of each rod. What seems to me as being important to the general feel of a whole family of setups is the handle. Each rod should have the same handle. Same diameter, same curvature, and same cork covering the same areas. Now each rod would feel the same in my hands. Naturally, I would have "two" families here, one for baitcasters and one for spinning.

Same for my reels. All my baitcasters are Daiwa TDA 150s & 153. Spinning reels aren't there yet and won't be for some time. I'm currently using Daiwa 2500 Capricorns and one Shimano 2500 Stradic, but then again, I don't palm my spinning reels, so reel feel isn't an important issue with me.
Old 02-01-09, 11:16 AM   #7
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I don't think it is too critical.

Your favorite rod company is not always going to make the specific rod you want, so you diversify, naturally, unless you're a dead-set "Company X" rod lover. Although the rod may feel or fish different, if you fish it enough, you get used to it, just like you get used to a house, or a new city. After visiting that house/city for a while, you get to know the ins and outs of it.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 02:09 PM   #8
aikenyounggun

Its not to critical but when pros like that can get all the same company it helps them just that little bit of an advantage, but its not a huge factor. Its kinda like when KVD says when i go into a tournament i have the same reel and rod with 8,10,12, and 15 pound flouro to give it different presentations. Obviously i cant apply this since i usually dont have the time to prefish so i cant have all the rods for one lure or two lures.... i need to diversify..... so tips like that are kind of off base.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 03:16 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Clunn wasn't talking about same brand. I watched a TV show where he explained this. He uses all 7' H rods, they just happen to be the same brand. He does this beause he says that when you switch techniques, you don't have to get used to a different rod. He says, that when an angler switched from say a 7'H rod to 6'6'M, then that angler has a time where he is adjusting to the differences in the rod. And according to Clunn, you don't fish to the best of your ability during this time. That's why he uses the same rod, so he doesn't have to "adjust".

IMHO, I think that's crap. Yeah maybe it effects it a little, but I don't think it could make much of a difference, unles you've never fished with that rod before,and it's brand new to you. As for using the rod rod for everything, I couldn't do it. I can hardly to the techniques with the rod I have, let a lone with the same one and make then work correctly.

BB
Old 02-01-09, 05:20 PM   #10
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Clunn wasn't talking about same brand. I watched a TV show where he explained this. He uses all 7' H rods, they just happen to be the same brand. He does this beause he says that when you switch techniques, you don't have to get used to a different rod. He says, that when an angler switched from say a 7'H rod to 6'6'M, then that angler has a time where he is adjusting to the differences in the rod. And according to Clunn, you don't fish to the best of your ability during this time. That's why he uses the same rod, so he doesn't have to "adjust".

IMHO, I think that's crap. Yeah maybe it effects it a little, but I don't think it could make much of a difference.
remember guys clunn uses new rods/reels every other tourny like most pros do..i think most top names get 100 or so a year of each..
the only way to get two new reels to cast exactly alike is to measure the amount of line to the inch, you put on the reels. after being used 6-9 months even two simalar reels with the same amount of line.WONT cast the same.. after 6-9 months rods also take on slightly differant ability. ones left out on the deck will be a bit more limber then the ones kept in the rod box..the diferance would be hardly noticable..

imo this just goes to prove that clunn has been at the professinal level so long he has forgotten what it is like to be an amateur. where WE have to WORK for a living..

zooker
Old 02-01-09, 05:32 PM   #11
jooleyen

Thanks for the great replies all.

In case any of you were wondering..
the article is here http://www.fishingworld.com/Pro-RickClunn/ArtofAngling/
and it was on The Bass Pros.
Old 02-01-09, 05:38 PM   #12
zooker

i've read it -nothing ground moving-i would not hurry to have him tell me ANYTHING..in fact i would REFUSE to fish with the man..-i've met him can ya tell?-

zooker
Old 02-01-09, 07:30 PM   #13
jooleyen

Tell me about him zooker...
i always wonder about bass fishermen on tv.
Old 02-01-09, 09:35 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Joolz, I use mostly the same brand/model of reel-Team Daiwa 153HST-except for a couple of applications like lipless crankbaits(7.1:1) and deep cranking(4.7:1) as well as the same brand of rod-Falcon. A guy once told me something that made sense: If you have the same reel for different applications you know what it is going to feel like when you set one rod down and pick up another. I've found that to be the case. IMO the rod isn't that much of a factor if you use the same brand. It will feel the same as well.
Old 02-02-09, 08:12 AM   #15
The Doc

Here's another article about the same thing, but this one is by KVD. He says stick with the same brand for your rod and reel so there isn't an adusting period. I stick with the same rod company and the same reel company, but it was more because I am OCD and I like to stick with what I like.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/b...ection_June_08
Old 02-02-09, 02:17 PM   #16
fishin' fool

Though it may work for some people, I like having different setup for each technique. I find that other rod and reels brands are suited better for a different bait/technique. Even if you have 10 different rod and reel combos, once you fish with each one enough, you learn it's strengths and limitations. I do favor Quantum reels, and I've noticed each one is very similar, so when I pick on up for the first time I have a good idea what I need the brakes set at, and how its going to perform. Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 04:20 PM   #17
islandbass

This is one thing that I don't necessarily agree. I use whatever rod or reel suits my needs for whatever application. I can "see" their point, but if their "technique" specific rod doesn't feel right in my hands then I wouldn't use it, or what if there is some specs I want in a rod or rod that they don't provide? Should I then use a rod in the line up that doesn't meet my needs. I would think not.

One can make the argument when using golf clubs, to have the same consistency, but I don't think the same weight of an argument can be made for rods. Sounds like a marketing ploy to ensure they "get" your business.

Hope no one takes offense, but this is MHO and not fact.

If one thinks that sticking with one company for everything works for them, I say more power to you.
Old 02-02-09, 04:22 PM   #18
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use what ever good quality rod i can find on sale...
Old 02-02-09, 04:49 PM   #19
Bryan

Count me as one who finds Rick Clunn's rod selection (or lack of it) as a little strange. Using a 7' H for every tactic is like a golfer using nothing but a driver.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 05:02 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

i have all falcon rods and other than my fritts reels i have all revo sx's. not because they all feel the same (because they don't) but because they are great rods and reels and they feel comfortable to me. my crankbait setups are all identical so they feel the same, but the rest of the rods are a few of this and a few of that and one of this..........you get the idea. it is very important that your rods and reels are comfortable for you to use but i wouldn't go out and buy a whole fleet of one type of rod and reel just so they feel the same because you will probably be surprised at how different they really feel.
Old 02-02-09, 05:26 PM   #21
JB

i fish all quantum reels and all bps rods with a few exceptions. I didnt plan it that way but know that all the quantums are dif gear ratio's and the bps rods feel the same to me.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 08:03 PM   #22
abu4600

All of my rods and reels are the same too. All reels are garcias and all rods are BPS. The only thing different on my rods are length and action, so when I lay one rod down and pick up another one the only adjustment I have to make is to rod length and action and not handle grip or weight.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 08:34 PM   #23
pig n jig

When you fish the same set up for the same lure presentation,weekend after weekend and days and nights in between.It becomes an old hat. Even though they might all be different brands for each presentation. It feels right when fishing that particular lure with the selected outfit.If it doesn't, you better get the monkeys butt in gear, you've got some shopping to do. Lmao....P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 09:25 PM   #24
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
you better get the monkeys butt in gear, you've got some shopping to do. Lmao....P N J
oh man i hope the monkey didn't hear that, oh who am i kidding? he hears everything.
Old 02-02-09, 09:52 PM   #25
Wishing2BFishing

Clunn can take his opinion and shove it up his a**.

First off, it is one thing to use the same brand but to use all the same action rods is just ridiculous. C'mon, who wants to throw crankbaits on a fast tipped heavy rod? And why would anyone dropshot on a thick stick? It just doesn't make sense.

With regards to using the same brand, in theory, this idea has some legs. However, there are many reasons that many of us can't do this.

To begin with, the pros are sponsored so they are going to use whatever brand they sponsor. For the rest of us, we actually have to purchase our rods and reels at full price. And when it comes to purchasing the gear, there are often gaps in the
models that specific brands offer.

For instance, I love Shimanos but they do not offer a light, left-handed, low gear ratio reel. I like Kistler rods but they do not have a MH crankbait rod. So, since I am paying full price for my gear, I am going to choose other brands to fill this gap.

The bottom line is you should choose whatever rod and reel best meets your technique that you are fishing. This isn't to say that you should have a different rod for each application. But, you should have the rod and reel that works for what you are doing.

Since we are not sponsored, we have the freedom to choose whatever we want to use. This is a luxury that the pros do not have because they are handcuffed by their sponsors.

So, exercise your freedom. Choose what you like and enjoy your equipment.

Last edited by Wishing2BFishing; 02-02-09 at 10:06 PM.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.