Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-06-09, 05:40 PM   #26
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bassintom was in a tourny when one of the guys got hit by lighting. according to his tell others got zapped but the guy that got hit it pretty much cooked his moter and eltronics..

zooker
Old 02-06-09, 05:53 PM   #27
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Damn, that story sucks! I have seen the results of lightning strikes .... we were out doing meter testing the day after a thunderstorm with some new satellite software that will be used to read peoples electric meters from a long distance away...(just another way to get rid of a job)...we pulled up to this old barn that still had an active meter and holy crap there was a crater in the ground atleast 6 feet deep and 4 feet wide...it was a lightning strike! Every time I see lightning I always think back on that and will never underestimate its strength
Old 02-06-09, 09:33 PM   #28
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Guys. If you can hear thunder you can get struck by lightning. Lightning can strike from up to ten count em 10 miles away.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 02:00 AM   #29
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkelypup View Post
Guys. If you can hear thunder you can get struck by lightning. Lightning can strike from up to ten count em 10 miles away.

bP
I can hear thunder from more than 10 miles I think. This is a tough subject, wish I knew what was a relativly safe distance and not the absolute safe distance. Cause most places in the south in the summer, you are gonna be within 10 miles of a storm at some point of the day. You would never get to fish in Florida otherwise. I have always avoided the cloud deck but I dont know if that is a perfect way to do this - you know, you see a storm and there are clouds attatched to the thunderhead and if the clouds are gonna be above you soon get off the lake.
Old 02-07-09, 09:25 AM   #30
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I ain't no meteorologist, heck I didn't even stay at a Holliday Inn Express but I did used to work for a coal company in Cabin Creek West Virginia in Explosives and the training we were given said what I said above. We had lightning detectors in our trucks. When they went off or when we heard thunder people scattered like flies.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 10:52 AM   #31
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

WTL, it is a tough call. during the summer in the south the regular garden variety of thrunderstorms usually aren't associated with a front or a moving system. They usually pop up and cool down in the same area and seldom reach a catastrophic elevation in the top of the storm. Florida is very flat and these storms are visible from great distances. So in a case like that, you just have to use your "better judgement".
Conversely, some of the storms that move through during the spring and early summer across the mid section of the country and even across the eastern half of the country are a result of a rapidly moving cold air system that pushes the warm moist air ahead of it. These storms can be violent with lots of lightening strikes, and active electrical zones ahead of the system (rising air masses, clouds, humidity all combine to create the perfect enviornment for lightening to travel greater distances). In a case like this, most outdoorsfolk who choose to wait can be putting themselves at great risk.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.