Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-09-06, 06:00 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Need Input

Ok with all the hype bout the new breed of frogs going around I decided to give them more of a chance. The first ones I got where the netbait Ribbits. Produces alot of strikes but due to the frog being to hard of plastic I did miss quite a few. For those of you that have been throwing these what do ya'll recommend to use. Personally I feel that the froh needs to be softer plastic. Ok give me what ya got.
Old 05-09-06, 08:21 AM   #2
flbassman

I personally don't like scum frogs. They cast nice, and have a nice motion, but they never produce for me.
Old 05-09-06, 08:46 AM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I can't offer much on this matter as well, I don't use them often, and when I do, I don't see much return for my effort. I like to use senko's/tiki sticks for this application, and have much better results.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 07:09 PM   #4
bass kicker

with scum frogs and that type of bait i was told to take pliers and turn up the hooks a bit so the softer stikes will have a better chances of gitting a hook in those bass
Old 05-09-06, 09:08 PM   #5
bassinbob

1FL try the Case toads. They are softer. They have a lot of good plastics to choose from. I used their senko knock offs and they work. I prefer the horny toads myself. Watch for further posts I am going to do a study of the plastic toad and frog baits. It might be in a couple of months as I am waiting for the pads to come up. Right now I have purchased over 20 different toads and frogs to conduct my study. I have a few other products to buy as of yet. I am trying to get them in two colors each that match. You would be surprised at how many horny toad look-a-likes there are. The last ones I got are from Producto. They call theirs the buzz tail frog. They resemble the horny toad and are very soft. These might be what you are looking for. I also got a toad bait that has a wire inside of it so you can reuse it over and over again. Right now I can't remember their name. I also got a frog bait from the 3:16 Lure Company that looks like a real frog. IT's called the no bull frog and it's huge. They come four per pack with a size 6 or 7 gammy hook. I'm hoping this one puts a few hogs in the boat for me. When I get them all gathered I will post them all. I would hope that anyone around the country would be able to get me addresses for any that I have missed. I have most of the national brands but need them from local bait makers such as por boys that I haven't ordered from yet. Also one of the manufacturers sent me a new bait that hasn't hit the market yet. He wants me to send him info on how it does. Pretty neat talking to these guys most are pretty nice and try to match the colors I need.

Bob
Old 05-09-06, 09:23 PM   #6
bassinbob

1FL I just found the toad with the wire inside it. It is made by Netters and they call it the ring core system. Their bait resembles what else?, the horny toad, it too is very soft. You use an offset style hook and put it through the ring inside the body of the bait. They show the hook point exposed but i would try it weedless probably.

Bob
Old 05-09-06, 09:38 PM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

if i ever use a frog,i'll let you know how it works.for now i'm killing them with a 4"red shad worm.
Old 05-09-06, 10:31 PM   #8
Stingray13
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Frogs and Toads

Have been a fan of the Topwater Frogs for over 30 years! I started using them in Michigan in the 70's on all species of fish. Nothing can beat the "V" ripple of a Bass haulin B-*** thru a Lilly Pad infested lake after one of these Babies first thing in the mornin!

I like the ZOOM Hoarny Toad in assorted colors. (See 1st Pic)
The tail/leg action has a little to be desired though.
The YUM BuzzFrog is an excellent choice for TWA.
Notice the legs on the BuzzFrog (See 2nd Pic)
They really make a wake in the water!
I know there are alot of softbait Lure Companies out there that sell their own versions of these lures...I say that a Bass will hit almost anything that resembles natural prey in the water.
The Lure Companies make the lures LOOK natural
YOU make the lures ACT natural!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_050906_004.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_050906_003.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	390  
Stingray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 11:18 PM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom
if i ever use a frog,i'll let you know how it works.for now i'm killing them with a 4"red shad worm.
That's a big surprise .
Old 05-10-06, 04:53 AM   #10
zooker

i have bee foolin with them i have gotten to the point were i like the horny toad better as it skips under docks better thanthe buzz toad..

zooker
Old 05-10-06, 05:24 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob
1FL I just found the toad with the wire inside it. It is made by Netters and they call it the ring core system. Their bait resembles what else?, the horny toad, it too is very soft. You use an offset style hook and put it through the ring inside the body of the bait. They show the hook point exposed but i would try it weedless probably.

Bob
BasinBob where does a person find these Case Toadds at. Again yesterday I went basically through the same dilemma. Would get the fish to blow up on the taod...I would give them plenty of time to get it in there mouths good. I can feel there weight and wham set the hook in air. I dedfinatley know its not the rod or line or hook all top notch stuff. I would then throw back with the scum frog or bass assasin and most of the time get bit again. Its those bass that dont bite again that I am after and thats the reason for the search for a softer frog.
Old 05-10-06, 03:51 PM   #12
bassinbob

1FL, do a search for Case Plastics. You can order directly from them. Also I think the Producto baits are softer. You can serch them at Producto also. I found most of the baits I ordered doing searches for frog baits or toad baits. Also, go to Bassfishin.com. They have a site that lists baits, rod and reel companies. If you can't order or find the Case toads I can send you some as I can get them locally.

Bob
Old 05-10-06, 04:11 PM   #13
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

About the Netbait Ribbits........ you may try finding a wide gap hook the right size...rig the front in the regular manner, but pass the point up between the legs and skin hook on the upper surface of the frog's rear end. I do this with 4/0 round bend hooks on the Horny Toad, and am thinking you can do the same with the Netbait. Hope this helps and Good Fishing, Mac
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 04:23 PM   #14
JB

Anyone ever fish the Trixie frog?
I started froggin with a tournament frog and then scum frog, now its the
Zoom Horney toad, my best color is melon back witha orange/yellow belly,
its the middle toad in the above picture
I've got a pack of white, I wonder why they dont sell a frog colored one, like green back and white belly..I picked the orange/yellow belly after remembering some frogs here get a slight yellowish color in summer.
Plus I've notice some inconsistancies in the colors of the frog, not all of mine looked exactly alike, but thats no whoop..the white pack is all white, I'm going through them like crazy, I think its time to use that fishing glue and glue the frog to the eyelet? anyone use that on toads?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 06:26 PM   #15
zooker

jb
never tryed trixie's frog with super goo... most of mine get knocked up, the line 3 feet. sounds odd but will give the super glue idea a try..

zooker
Old 05-10-06, 09:50 PM   #16
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

haven't had any luck on frogs at all...i stick to what works best and that's the tiki sticks and topwater....like poppers....but i do admit those frogs sure are purty.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.