Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-11-05, 07:50 PM   #1
ketchmorebass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ketchmorebass
Default Bait casting reels?

right now I have 3 spinning reels, an ultralight because i often fish in areas with a lot of tree branches obstructing the water, a 6 foot rod, and a 6'6, i've been looking at bait casting reels, i was just wondering what the concept was behind them, what there better for, and if anyone who has one would suggest one, i fish almost everyday so if there is some advantage i will probably buy one
ketchmorebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 08:00 PM   #2
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat
Default Re: Bait casting reels?

Their better for flipping and pithcing Jigs and worms. They are also better for crankbaits, topwater, hard jerkaits, and spinnerbaits. They have good cranking power for pulling fish out of heavy cover.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 08:03 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

The biggest advantage as far as I'm concerned it baitcasters allow me to use heavier lines, throw heavier baits, and fish heavier cover. I've been using them for years, and don't hesitate to throw into the real thick stuff,where I don't have that same amount of confidence in spinning tackle. However, for throwing light/finesse baits a spinning rod is hard to beat.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 08:24 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have used spinning reels for going on 25 years. never had any problems except line twist -which is almost as fun to deal with as a bird nest. bait casting reels you learn to get out bird nest after bird nest-and who aint had one of them days- casting reels are more accurate and you have the ablity to make the lure enter the water as soft or as hard as you want.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 08:46 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

zooker whar the hleck ya beeen?

Yer right on the backlash, I had a light weigh lure on and brake set to tight and had a double looper backlash..was picking away at it for minutes
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 08:58 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
which is almost as fun to deal with as a bird nest.
Almost ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 09:44 PM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

most people think they are better for pitching and flipping...and pulling fish outta heavy cover....well, let me tell you that is a matter of skill. i can pitch as good as any body i have been fishin with that has a baitcaster. i can flip almost as good as any one i have gone up against with a baitcaster...the only reason i say almost is because i need more practice. bassically....anything you can do with a baitcaster you can do just as good with spinning tackle with alittle practice. i have thrown in the nastiest cover imaginable around here...and have pulled fish out of it. so just know that whatever can be done with a baitcaster can be done with a spinning reel.but i would definitely buy a baitcaster just to have the diversity of the 2.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 10:14 PM   #8
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

It used to be a trade off, if you wanted heavy line on a spinning out fit, you probably had to buy a bigger
spinning reel
With todays tougher line with small diameter (30lb test but advertised at 10lb diameter), it makes it easier to fish heavy cover with heavier test.......
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 11:01 PM   #9
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

there is no way a spinning rod and reel can match the power of a good baitcaster and a flipping stick for pulling fish out of heavy cover.it is mechanically impossible.a baitcaster is built just like a winch and has a much stronger drag system than any spinning reel. i use pflueger trion 56 round baitcasters and you can lock the drag down close to solid with the star wheel.the all aluminum frame will not twist in the slightest and you can haul fish out of the worst cover with it.casting with a baitcaster is also much more accurate because once your thumb is educated you can feather and stop the lure any place you want with your thumb.there is no way pitching with a spinning rod that you can feather the bait entry into the water like you can with a baitcaster.spinning rods excel at light line fishing and at skipping lures under docks.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 11:08 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah just winch them in and play with the fish in the boat. i find gettin them in/out of the live well to be the most entertaining if nothing else.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 11:32 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=dodgeguy link=board=news;num=1118530250;start=0#8 date=06/11/05 at 22:01:26]there is no way a spinning rod and reel can match the power of a good baitcaster and a flipping stick for pulling fish out of heavy cover.it is mechanically impossible.a baitcaster is built just like a winch and has a much stronger drag system than any spinning reel.[/quote]

Well I would have to disagree on the winching power so important. I move the fish with the ROD and then reel in the slack with the reel. The drag system is just the same, you get quality for more money. I don't ever sit there and try to reel in line while a fish is pulling drag(rarely ever happens anyway). The rod does the work. If you also read in the New edidtion of the FLW, many pros are starting to use spinning reels for pitching and flipping, and prefer it. I use both, and am getting more accustomed to the baitcasters. But you can do all the winching out of cover with a spinning rod. Just depends on size, and power. And lastly a spinning rod is designed better to allow the rod to work all along the blank. With it distributing the stress over the blank better.
Sorry but we just are gonna have to agree to disagree 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 11:55 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i agree 100% with liz.....i can easily feather a bait in pitching with a spinning setup...its more of skill then equipment 8) as far as spinning power......why do most use spinning while saltwater fishing? and accuracy...again, more skill then equipment. we too will have to agree to dissagree ;D 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 12:28 AM   #13
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

I use both equally. All my soft plastics are thrown w/ spinning rods. In Fl that means some pretty nasty crap to be pulling a fish from. Use my baitcasters for cranks,spinners,buzz and topwaters. Just a matter of being comfortable and adaptive to your personal wants and needs. Also knowing the limitations of your equipment for each use. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.