Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-08, 08:51 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default read this...

while digging for more info i came across this..

For those of you who do not know who I am or what I do, please allow me to introduce myself. My name
is Lane Gergely, and I am a research biologist for Sure-Life Laboratories. I co-own
the business with my husband. While both of us are microbiologists, my expertise is in research and pathology ( the study of diseases). My husband's expertise is in
the chemistry side of our company, in otherwords he is the one who ultimately formulates the products. Many of you have either used or heard of Please Release
Me and or Catch and Release. Catch and Release has been around since 82, when
Tony developed the first formula for holding bass in livewells.
I did not see the show mentioned in this thread, but I can pretty much tell you that
what you are observing with fish floating upside down is SHOCK and not decompression issues. Here is a simple formula that I came up with to help anglers
understand what can happen in the livewell. Stress=Shock=Death, I call it SSD for
short. When wild fish are captured, placed in confinement (many times with other fish) they start to stress. That is why they need to be kept calm. Mortality was very
high in humans before the advent of anesthetics and sedatives. Ice also is very
effective in slowing the metabolism of the fish and calming them down.

Decompression issues ( deep caught fish) will be very obvious when the fish are
placed in the livewell. Their sides will be distended and hard, combined with the
inability to swim upright. These fish should be sedated before fizzing procedures
are performed. There are two method of fizzing, through the side and through the
mouth. Neither procedure is 100% on all fish, so anglers fishing deep waters need
to learn both methods. Studies have shown that the airbladder seals and heals within 6 hours. Fizzing should be performed within the first 30 minutes after capture, otherwise the condition known as nitrogen narcosis develops. This leads to
organ damage or failure. Most of these fish expire before weigh in, depending on
when they were caught.
While O2 systems are nice, not all are equal, and may not be necessary if livewells
are kept cool and aeration systems run on manual. NEVER OPERATE YOUR LIVEWELL ON TIMED AERATION! Temperature is KEY to dissolved oxygen levels.
Cooler water holds more oxygen. It does no good to have a warm or hot livewell
while running a oxygen system. The oxygen can't dissolve fast enough in warm water, thus the oxygen escapes at the surface. If you are holding largemough NEVER let the livewell temps exceed 75F. If you are holding smallmouth never let
livewell temps exceed 68F. If you are holding both species, never exceed 70F.
In the wild bass can tolerate wide temperature ranges, bass can be found at different temperatures through out the course of a day. Large bass have also been
found to tolerate low dissolved oxygen levels in favor of territorial waters. Generally speaking, the larger bass are also the older bass, and older bass are
VERY territorial. This is why confinement is harder on the larger, older bass.
Here is a list of stressors that in some cases can quickly lead to shock.
1. Improper livewell temperatures.
2. Inadequate aeration or timed aeration.
3. Poor water quality, ie foamy water surface, build up of ammonia.
4. Prolonged holding in unatural postion, ie large bass that are forced to lie on their
sides for an extended period of time.
5. ANYTHING that causes the bass to become overly excited. If you can hear the
bass banging in the livewell, THEY ARE STRESSED and need calming. After the initial release of the fish into the livewell, they should calm down within 10 minutes.
6. Improper handling techniques, ie letting them bounce around on carpet and hyperextension of the jaw. We see alot of bass with broken or dislocated jaws. In
a few of these cases the fish die from starvation, because they can't properly feed.
The lowest mortality rates on record occured back in the 80's. There are a few reasons for that. First off, many boats did not have livewells. Anglers used styrofoam coolers with battery powered aerators. The older styrofoam coolers
provided much better insulation (temperature control) than today's livewells. The
coolers , while not as deep as modern livewells were wider and longer than the
modern livewells. Last but not least, Ray Scott, who is a personal friend of mine
went to extremes to educate and surround himself with experienced staff. Several
of these original mortality studies can be viewed on our website.
There were no fancy oxygen systems back in the eighties, they did not need them.
Their styrofoam coolers along with a little education went a long way. I hope that
one of the boat manufacturers will step of to the plate and give these fish what they really need, better insultation and more space for the larger fish to stretch
out in a somewhat normal position. BTW, we will be working on a fizzing DVD in HD this year.

nuff said

zooker
Old 01-12-08, 10:46 PM   #2
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

awesome info zooker. What site did you find this on?
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 07:56 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

can't remember now..

zooker
Old 01-13-08, 09:46 PM   #4
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs up Please Release me and other fine products

Lane and her husband were regulars at the Texas Tackle and Boat shows. Last year (2007) at the Arlington Tackle Show in Texas, she had the booth right next to our club booth. Her and the local pro-staff in Texas are straight shooters and make fine products.
http://www.sure-life.com/pro_catch_and_release.html
Old 01-13-08, 10:08 PM   #5
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I hope you have a easier time of fizzing than I did. there were times I must have hit them somewhere else,like the heart, they died near instantly. I use a stainless steel wire cage I built, lower it down with the fish in it to, or past the depth you caught the fish from and the air bladder releases.Slowly retreive the cage and then either release the fish, or put it in the livewell to weigh in.I hated having touse the fizzing method, because I did accidently kill several fish over the years.I quit smallmouth fishing deep for a while to avoid it, no matter how slow you try to bring them up, some will rocket to the surface on their own, locking the airbladder. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.