Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-06, 10:35 PM   #1
zookeru12

Cool colors-yeah here we go again-

there is at least 1000 differant types of plastic baits on the market.with at least that many differant colors.
how do you cull through all of them to find "the colors that work for you" simple find the type of bait YOU like. be it a stick bait, a 6" culprit, a baby bush hog,ect... match this bait type with some basic colors i use no more than 4 to cover water coloration differances.
i use a dark bait in muddy stained water.-june bug being my favorite-then add a clear water color.- water melon seed being my favorite- then i add and all around good color like green pumkin or pumkin red flake. regaurdless what the "in" bait may be i keep going back to these colors. i will change a bait type before i do a color.
i add scent to 99% of my plastic baits. early spring -till spawn-i like crawdad then i will switch to garlic and shad.

crankbaits
same as above 1000's of choices in about as many colors. i choose my colors according to water color plus time of year. early spring a craw color is hard to beat -i like green craw- in muddy water a good crank will have some chartusese on it -i like fire tiger- of course a shad colored bait in clear water. i would throw in some thing weird just for grins like parrot or hot mustad.
as for the type of baits depends entirly on where YOU are fishing. a coffin lip bait that only dives 5 feet is a bad choice if you are fishing a ledge 10 feet down. and throwing a poes 400 in 2 feet of water is a bit over kill. you don't use a spoon bill bait to fish laydowns-unless they are REAL deep- make no mistake about it crank bait fishing is an art form. and i am no devincy for sure.. i can only point you west it is your job to go there young grasshopper...

zooker
Old 01-03-06, 09:09 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Selecting colors is very easy if one doesn't believe color is a big factor. For Senkos, plastic worms and tubes, I usually use a translucent pumpkinseed in clear water under sunny skies, otherwise it's black most of the time.

For cranks, it's often shad, perch, bluegill or firetiger. I've also caught fish on every conceivable color including polka dots and desert sunset.

Of course I could be 100% wrong, but I don't think about it very much because I have full confidence in what I do as far as color.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 06:16 PM   #3
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

To narrow my color selection down I just match what the main forage is paying very close attention to detail. But in dirty water I'll use blue, purple or black. For clear water brown or greens but sometimes throw in a bright color to see how they react to the bait.
fishn'fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 07:24 PM   #4
onlyculprits
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Favorite and only color

Black or the darkest color in stock where I'm buying my 6" Culprits

definition of manatee - tree huggers' darling, also an effective speed bump in crowded waters.
onlyculprits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 07:32 PM   #5
pig n jig

The companies are hoping that you will buy every color they have. I don't like to be partial to any one color , but If I had to choose one it would be green Pumpkin.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-06, 12:29 AM   #6
bass kicker

i try to use lure colors that resembal the natural forage in the area im fishing
Old 01-07-06, 09:43 AM   #7
Christopherkeene9

I would have to choose a red shad laminated senko. Never had any more fish than these.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.