Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-25-12, 06:04 AM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default another jig question

Does anyone use a spinning rod to jig fish ?There was a time when I only worm fished using spinning gear.I felt that spinning gear allowed me to control the presentation better,now I worm fish with a casting rod instead.Casting rods torque twist, sometimes whether it is old age or what, I get pain like tennis elbow.I went to a acid wrap guide system and it seemed to reduce the torque twist felt. I would think that spinning gear would do the same ?
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 06:54 AM   #2
joedog

I do from shore.
Use with finesse jigs almost always.
Not sure I understand what torque twist your getting from tossing a jig.
You talking long cast or swim jigging?
Bottom line, I use spinning gear A LOT, shore busting anyways.
Old 11-25-12, 07:19 AM   #3
pig n jig

torque from a fish on.Maybe it is my imagination but it would seem that a spinning rod with the rod blank over the guides would pull differently than a casting rod with the blank positioned underneath the guides.Does this make sense or not ?
Old 11-25-12, 07:28 AM   #4
pig n jig

do you use braid ?

what lb test ?

what length and action of rod ?what size reel ?

I thought finesse jigs were made for people that collects lures, who would have thunk you can actually catch fish with them ????

I have a ton of micro jigs that Mac sent me over the years.I value them more than to lose them them to toothy critters but maybe I will look into buying some finesse jigs.....
Old 11-25-12, 01:21 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
do you use braid ?

what lb test ?

what length and action of rod ?what size reel ?

I thought finesse jigs were made for people that collects lures, who would have thunk you can actually catch fish with them ????

I have a ton of micro jigs that Mac sent me over the years.I value them more than to lose them them to toothy critters but maybe I will look into buying some finesse jigs.....
Not sure about the "torque twist" part, and I'm sure I'm using an entirely "wrong" setup for jig fishing, but I do use a spinning rod/reel for my jig fishing. Rod is a 6'6" MH Cabela's Classic IM6 with a Shimano Solstace 2500 FI spinning reel and 20 lb Power Pro Braided line. I throw 3/8 oz football head jigs almost exclusively. I've only been using jigs since July of 2011, but I've caught quite a few fish (LM, SM, pike) on this setup.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 01:40 PM   #6
pig n jig

Do you tie direct with braid or use a fluorocarbon leader ? Do you skirt the football head or impale a grub on it ?I use to use spider grubs/football heads but got away from using them.
Old 11-25-12, 01:42 PM   #7
pig n jig

You can't be entirely wrong if your catching fish with it.
Old 11-25-12, 02:27 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Do you tie direct with braid or use a fluorocarbon leader ? Do you skirt the football head or impale a grub on it ?I use to use spider grubs/football heads but got away from using them.
I tie directly with the braid. The jig is skirted and I add a Green Pumpkin Super Chunk Jr. trailer. There are some pictures in this thread from 2011 where you can see the jig/trailer setup. (I used 30 lb braid last year, but downsized to 20 lb this year.)

Quote:
You can't be entirely wrong if your catching fish with it.
I just meant "wrong" in the sense that it's probably different in every way from the proper setup according to "the book" and also how most everyone else here does it.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 03:00 PM   #9
pig n jig

Thanks for the response, nice pics.Back when they called it a roller jig instead of football jig,I started fishing the football head with a Arkie spider grub.I used a long glass rod, casted out and dragged the jig along the bottom until it hung up on sparse grass or rock and then loaded the rod up with pressure until the football head scooted free,you dropped the pressure off as soon as the jig broke loose trying shorten the lenth of the free scooting jig, trying to imitate a craw scooting.I caught a lot of smallmouth with that presentation but eventually got away from fishing it as the pickeral would also readily jump on it which often resulted in losing the jigheads.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.