Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-21-05, 07:44 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default How many of you are Guilty

I have set back and laughed at and even be guilty of being caught up in the "New Lure or Technique Craze". Was just wondering how many people out there have done the same thing. You know the story read a article, here from a buddy, see it on tv.....then you run out and by the lure or rerig and try the technique only to find out you been CAUGHT. LOL Kinda like the helicopyer lure,or the kickerfish,the flying lure just to name a few. Alot of the times people forget they been doing the same thing for years. I been fishing the floatin or weightless worm since I was a kid. Yes they had plastic worms back then. Just something to think about before next years LURE CRAZE hits again.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-05, 08:19 AM   #2
Fishie

I buy what is working........I don't buy stuff that I know doesn't work.
Old 12-21-05, 10:27 AM   #3
Joe_S.
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I actually never bought a gimmick lure, I have been given them for Christmas though I was given the banjo minnow many moons ago and was not to excited about, but I tried it and funny enough caught a ton of fish on it in one day, I was suprised to say the least, after losing most of the peices I never replenished, since then I have recieved Chucks moto lure, 1 set from my parents, then the next year a set form my in laws I tried them once to see how they worked and they haven't seen the light of day since. I keep it simple these days and really fight the monkey off my back, When I go shopping and see the flashy new stuff and say ooh I need that, I really ask myself the question like ten times while I'm holding it, do I need this and am I really going to use it, after asking myself that I usually end up putting them down.

The only things I really replenish these days are Jigs, spinnerbaits, and Hard jerkbaits. And terminal tackle, hooks, line, bullet weights etc.
Old 12-21-05, 10:53 AM   #4
River stumps

I try to stay away from the gimicks, altho I was at big lots a couple years back and bought six packs of 4 each of Helicopter baits for a dollar per pack. But that was after they were on the market for 10 or 12 years. Still havent used them. $6.00 wasted
Old 12-21-05, 12:28 PM   #5
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sometimes it's just boredom! You're shopping with the lady (yawn) and you gravitate to the fishing dept. or tackle store at the mall; or you've got cabin fever real bad and are leafing through the new BPS or Cabela's catalog. That's all it takes to buy crap that no one you know has used or that you've been able to try a sample of. It's worse when you start to daydream what the lure looks like in the water, as a big ol 8 lber chomps on it. Oh well, the combination of boredom and a little imagination makes us do strange things!

Buyer beware! Thank god make many of my own baits - at least plastic worms can be remelted!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Last edited by senkosam; 12-21-05 at 04:46 PM.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-05, 04:39 PM   #6
basstech

I can't say I've ever bought anyof the infomercial lures, or anything I've seen Bill dance or roland martin promote except for the strike king strike hyde frog. I do like that bait. I waited months before I bought a sinko/yum dinger style bait. Waited to see enough other anglers catch fish and then was still sceptical. But did find they have properties to them that make them different than any other do nothing weightless worm i've seen...not to mention the bigger diameter. I always used to waste money on same stylle of crankbait in a "new" color I hadn't seen that was "different" and new that it would "work magic" getting fish to bite when they wouldn't bite the same lure in any other color I had. So yes I guess bottom line I'm guilt. But it's been a long time since I've gone that road. well maybe not, I did by 3 or 4 lucky crap lures that were on sale within the last 4 years.
Old 12-21-05, 05:07 PM   #7
Fish2win

I have a dances eel hanging in my tackle shed just to remind me. Never caught a fish on it and dont know anyone personally that has. Most lures are made to catch fishermen not fish.
Here is another thought. You have 2 lures just alike. One catches fish better than the others . You dont know why. I keep one box just for my preferred baits. maybe they are beat up and ragged but they catch fish better than the brand new one that is the same brand color and series.
I have found this true of spinnerbaits ,crankbaits and top water baits.
Go figure. Fish2win
Old 12-21-05, 06:24 PM   #8
WidowMaker
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought one of the dancin eels and never did use it.....but i have to say its a rather unique looking thing. Helicopter lures are fun for sneaking into someones box and then laughing at them when they take it out to look at it.
"You know you believed it would work or you wouldnt have bought it and put it in your box HA HA HA!!!"
WidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-05, 06:53 PM   #9
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

laser
kickerfish is a tackle company also know as bassmedics that makes weedles wacky worms and a shad stick -fluke with senko tail- both VERY good baits. are you talking about the multi jointed crank bait?? that thing sucks...

zooker
Old 12-21-05, 08:43 PM   #10
jeff_in_roch
BassFishin.Com Member

I used to get caught up in the gimmick lures, but not for some time. Now I generally have my "tried and true" lures that I use. About the only time I buy something outside of these lures is when I've seen someone else having success with it. I do however try new presentations based on magazine articles and what I read on the forums. On slow days this year I tried wacky rigging senkos and drop shotting (both on different trips) and they saved me from skunkings. I also picked up using a hair jig under a float in cold clear water from an article several years ago, and it has paid off in cold water conditions.
jeff_in_roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-05, 09:16 PM   #11
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass

I saw Chuck Woolery (of Dating game fame) on Home Shopping Club not too many weeks ago advertising his new lure. It was a frog, with a pull string, that when pulled made the frog wiggle for about 5 seconds in the water. You got 2 of them for $19.99 I think.

He was demonstrating them in a fish tank, and yes they did vibrate for a few seconds.

Thinking about it though, once you pulled the string, setup for the cast and made the cast ... the frog did all the vibrating in the air, by the time it actually hit the water, it was done. LOL
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-05, 02:28 AM   #12
islandbass

Man, I got caught up with it when I first started and I actually bought the Flying lure. I've caught trout with it but not bass. Then, I found myself buying just about every lure I saw on fishing show (BD, One last cast, etc) thinking I'd be hooking into some fish.

I've come a long way though and have come to learn which baits work best in my area. Now when I watch those shows I take every thing they sell with a huge grain of rock salt.
Old 12-22-05, 07:33 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

ZOOK

You said that like you have experience. ROTFLMAO!! I wont tell NOOOOO ONEEEE Yea right. LOL

Fish2win

You noticed that as well. Since I figured that out bout baits especially cranks I now buy them in a case of six the majority of the time. It always seems there is 1 or 2 outta the six that outproduces the others. Be it the density of the plastic,a lip that has a little different configuration. the rattles maybe one or two more rattles or whatever it always holds true. The rest of the baits produce but that 1 or 2 always catches 1 or 2 more fish.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-05, 10:41 AM   #14
Rodman_Rob

I'm sure everybody on here at some point bought a lure and managed to not catch a fish on it, whether it be a helicopter lure, a senko, a scum frog, a crankbait, etc.
Old 12-22-05, 11:51 AM   #15
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob
I'm sure everybody on here at some point bought a lure and managed to not catch a fish on it, whether it be a helicopter lure, a senko, a scum frog, a crankbait, etc.
True, but consistentcy only lasted for one cast or outing! LOL
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-05, 01:17 PM   #16
Joe_S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Bass
I saw Chuck Woolery (of Dating game fame) on Home Shopping Club not too many weeks ago advertising his new lure. It was a frog, with a pull string, that when pulled made the frog wiggle for about 5 seconds in the water. You got 2 of them for $19.99 I think.

He was demonstrating them in a fish tank, and yes they did vibrate for a few seconds.

Thinking about it though, once you pulled the string, setup for the cast and made the cast ... the frog did all the vibrating in the air, by the time it actually hit the water, it was done. LOL

Actually once casted and in the water when you jerk your rod tip it will pull the line and start the kicking motion again, same scenario as the motolure which is the first bait he offered.
Old 12-22-05, 03:14 PM   #17
bassnman30

Fish2win,
Crankbaits are often times different reguardless of weather they are of the same size,color, or type. Some catch descent bass and some don't. The action is different than the ones that produce well.
I've got several that I hung up in my "fishing room" and have no further use for. Some I've got in my tackle box with a spot marked on the underside to show that this particular bait will produce. (These are used in tournaments, not practice). Practice is for me to deside which baits do and don't produce.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.