Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-03-06, 09:47 PM   #1
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R
Default "Sometimes change in size makes a difference"

I believe it was the Elite Tournament that Mike Iaconelli just won? Well if you remember he cut his bait down to half size. The past few days i have been fishing a pond with some success but not enough. Well tonight i was using Tiki Man Wave Worms...and was catching a few, but i decided to cut them in half..these were about 5 inches originally. Well after that it was history, the fish were really gettin on the bait easy then. I think with most the females nesting, and the males are too small to take much, the smaller the better, atleast that's what it seemed like. By the way, I was using a texas rig and it was bullet weight 1/8 oz with a 4/0 Gamakatsu Hooks. And, i also caught a really nice Yellow Perch on one of them small worms with that big hook, he was really pushin a sitation, but i just threw it back. Plus i think we caught 4 nice pickeral.

Thanks
Will
Old 05-03-06, 10:01 PM   #2
jordan41
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to jordan41 Send a message via Yahoo to jordan41

cool sometimes the smalllest change in lure can eqaul huge amounts of fish.
Old 05-04-06, 06:12 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Downsizing at times as you posted is a very good way of puttin fish in the boat. I have seen the day when as little as switching from 3/8ths spinner to a 1/4oz spinner be the ticket. Excellant post there buddy.
Old 05-04-06, 04:00 PM   #4
bass kicker

i have never noticed that much of a difference with spinners but other bait all the time
Old 05-04-06, 05:49 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

DelawareBassr, where were you fishing (if you are willing to share)?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 09:22 PM   #6
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing
DelawareBassr, where were you fishing (if you are willing to share)?

^^ No problem...I was fishing a pond called Cubbage Pond. It's located in Sussex County in Delaware around the slaughter beach area. Which is about 20 miles southeast of Milford, Delaware. The pond has lily's all around it and plenty of vegetation, and is a great place to fish texas rig's. I have not caught an unhealthy fish yet. The lateral lines on the fish are real dark, which tells me they are doing really well. The good thing about this pond is unless you drive down in the middle of nowhere you can't really see it, so it's not fished a whole lot, but is awesome. It's deepest points i would say wouldn't be too much deeper than 10ft-15 ft. The majority of the pond I have been fishing hasn't been much deeper than 5 ft. It also has a creek in the back of this pond with big fish. But it's really hard to catch em because it's hardly deep at all and unless your willing to fish back there all day, you won't catch many. Middle of the pond is where most of them are located.

If you ever stop by that area i would suggest giving it a try.

Will
DelawareBass-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 05:26 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Speaking of size making difference. A little "What I do when......." In the early spring before the actual prespawn starts I always try and match the hatch size. 1/4 oz spinners and cranks etc..etc.. The reason behind this is the bait bass are feeding on at the time of the year tends to run small. Now as I have said not written in stone. As the water begins to warm up I will go up in size right upto and including 1oz spinners and BIG cranks.
Old 05-05-06, 04:35 PM   #8
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Well for me..when it comes to spinners I am a 3/8 ounce man through and through. Not to big, but not to small, and I can basically fish that size spinner year round, and still catch some fish. I don't like too big of spinners because it is way too much tension on my line for me, and too small is not enough and I am unable to cast as far.Also i like 2 blades compared to one. I have never had much success with one blade, i think most are a bit too round and don't really resemble any type of bait, and for me i don't think they spin as much. So my choice in spinners is 3/8, especially Strike King Belleding Spinners, them things will do a hurtin on bass, especially on a sunny day right after a big thunderstorm.
DelawareBass-R is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.