Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-20-10, 01:44 PM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
Thanks BB... now I'm curious: Is a Pixy a casting reel, or a specific model of casting rod? I'm not familiar with it.

Ah, how the baitmonkey loves curiosity! The simple answer to your question is the Daiwa Pixy is both a reel and a rod.

But more commonly, it's the reel people are talking about. It's a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) reel, so it's not sold here in like BPS, Cabela's, etc.

The Daiwa Pixy is considered one of, if not THE best finesse casting reel on the market with the ability to cast lures lighter than you'd even consider throwing. on most casting reels.

Here's the models.

2003 Orange Pearl

2004 Pearl Yellow (the one I want, another reason nofear insists I'm color blind )

2006-09 Airy Red

2004-09 Silver Mica

2010 PX68

These are going to cost you from about $200-250 for a used Silver Mica to $350-400 for a mint Pearl Yellow or about $450 for the new PX68.

The Pixy rods were built in 2003 and 2004 to match the respective reels and are VERY rare. These will run you $500+ if you can even find someone who has one and is willing to part with it.

BB
Old 09-20-10, 05:35 PM   #27
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Ah, how the baitmonkey loves curiosity! The simple answer to your question is the Daiwa Pixy is both a reel and a rod.

These are going to cost you from about $200-250 for a used Silver Mica to $350-400 for a mint Pearl Yellow or about $450 for the new PX68.
BB
Well, I'm pleased to say that my bait monkey isn't THAT well entrenched. But those are some really good looking reels. Is this supposed to be Daiwa's competition for the Shimano Calais DC reel? (at least I think it's Shimano)

Old 09-22-10, 02:45 AM   #28
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I couldn't participate in this because I was too indecisive on my rod choices and would have died of starvation.

The Pixy is a finesse class reel and the steez is perhaps daiwa's flagship reel. I don't think either is Daiwa's answer to Shimano's Calais DC.

Among the three reels, the Pixy, Steez, and Calais, it would be an apples to oranges to mangos comparison. No real way for a reasonable comparison. Different tools for the fools, uh I mean anglers that choose to use them. I say fools lovingly and jokingly, as in us being fools to our bait monkeys. Maybe someday I'll succumb to delving into getting any or all of those reels.

I sure hope that you post pics of your homemade rod carrier.
Old 09-22-10, 07:45 AM   #29
BigBassin144

Like IB said, I don't think it is Daiwa's answer to the Calais DC. I don't think the Calais is touted as a finesse reel (but I could be wrong).

IMO, the Daiwa Pixy is THE best finesse reel you can acquire today.

BB
Old 09-22-10, 08:20 AM   #30
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

I sure hope that you post pics of your homemade rod carrier.
I plan to do that, within a month or so. Thanks for your inputs on the reels.

Quoting BB "IMO, the Daiwa Pixy is THE best finesse reel you can acquire today."

BB, it seems you continue to add fuel to my curiousity: What are the key characteristics that you look for in a so-called finesse reel?

I'm not sure the Calais DC reel is touted as anything, other than being expensive. The reviews I've read say it's almost backlash-proof and good for casting into the wind, but for the price they are asking, it should be able to walk out there and put the bait into the fish's mouth for you.

Old 09-22-10, 10:29 AM   #31
BigBassin144

Obviously, a finesse reel must be able to cast light baits decent distances.

What a lot of people don't know is what makes a reel able to do this. There are a few things that help casting with light baits. Daiwa's Free Floating Spool design helps somewhat, but most of their higher end reels feature this, and most of Shimano's reel feature a similar design.

Two key components are the spool and the bearings.

Lately, manufacturers have been making spools with less line capacity. And they do that for a reason. One, it enables the use of a smaller spool, reducing the weight. Second, it reduced the amount of line on the spool, again reducing weight. Lighter spools are much better for casting lighter baits because they start spinning much easier than heavier spools.

Also, the quality of the bearings is important. While most tackle enthusiasts upgrade bearings on most of their reels, the Pixy does have pretty good ones. Better bearings will, again, allow the spool to spin quicker, longer, and more easily, improving casting distance (this goes for heavier baits as well).

The perfect combination of these things makes the Pixy the best finesse reel. There are very few reels that can compete with it. There is a sister reel to the pixy that is similar, the Daiwa Presso.

The closes you'll get to a Pixy on the US market is the Daiwa Sol. It's JDM counterpart, the Alphas, is also decent as casting lighter baits. But still, neither can match the Pixy.

BB
Old 09-27-10, 11:30 AM   #32
IowaBasser

I grew up in NE Iowa wading a little river for small-mouth bass and even littler streams for trout. Combine that with the fact my Dad loves to fish light jigs for walleye and you can figure out why I'm partial to spinning gear. When I was 13 years old I saved all summer to buy a $50 bait-casting rod/reel combo, and that was in the early 80's. You can imagine my frustration when I tried to cast my favorite 1/8 ounce in-line spinner for smallmouth. I couldn't throw it futher than 15 feet and got a back-lash almost every cast.

Fast forward 25 years. Now I fish primarily for largemouth and though I've become profiecient with a bait-casting set-up, I still use use primarily spinning gear. I've adapted many techniques using a spinning reel; still there is no substitute for a good bait-casting set-up for fishing heavy weeds, thick brush and throwing larger baits.

I know it wasn't part of the original question, but I'd be interested to know what type of line you guys are using on your four rods. My rod choices would be:

6'6" MH bait-casting rod (with 20 lb braid)
7'0" M spinning rod (with 12 lb fireline fused)
6'6" M spinning rod (with 12 lb fireline fused)
6'6" M/L spinning rod (with 8 lb mono - Trilene XT)

Most of my fishing is done with the 6'6" and 7'0" M spinning rods. Occasionally the 6" diffence in lengths is better for certain techniques, but usually not a big deal. (My girlfriend says 2" would make a big difference, but that's a topic for another forum.) The MH bait casting rod is used for fishing in heavy cover, and the 6'6" ML spinning rod for throwing smaller baits.

Last edited by IowaBasser; 09-27-10 at 06:31 PM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 06:20 PM   #33
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I believe the closest offering that Shimano has is the Core 50mg7. It is possibly the best domestic market finese reel. It hold 150 yards of 10# test line and weights in at 5.5 oz. cost is retail $370, so it is def not the cheap way out. The new Shimano Curado 50E holds some promise of being a decent finese reel at a lower retail price, but would need upgraded bearings to be considered anywhere near the class of the pixy or Core 50MG7.

Last edited by Tavery5; 09-27-10 at 06:32 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 08:35 PM   #34
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I know it wasn't part of the original question, but I'd be interested to know what type of line you guys are using on your four rods.
Not a problem as far as I'm concerned, Iowa. In fact I believe you will find that many of these threads branch out in several directions, sort of like a tree growing new limbs.

I'm glad you thought about the line choices for the reels you picked. Maybe others would like to follow up with their choices as well...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.