Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-11, 11:51 AM   #1
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Default St.Croix premier rod is it just me?

Hi guys I have not posted on here in awhile been busy lately working and such but I am back.
Anyways does anyone else have any premier rods from St.Croix?
If so do the rods feel flimsy to you?

I am starting to feel as if the rod does not have enough backbone to set a decent hook set.
I have a 7' Medium power fast action and I use it primarly for wacky rigging and texas rigged worms/lizards and other small soft plastics.
I am thinking reel good about selling this rod and getting a mojo rod.
Anyone else have similar thoughts?
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 12:07 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think that ANY medium power rod would feel flimsy using them with a T-Rigged anything. That rod is more suited for cranking IMHO.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 12:38 PM   #3
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

Agree. I have always used a MH baitcaster for worms as the great Woo Daves recommends. Mediums for cranks and spinner baits.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 01:15 PM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Agree with the others that a medium power casting rod is too light for plastics other than finesse, and then I prefer a spinning rod. Medium power casting rods work well for treble hook baits. I have thrown spinnerbaits on medium, but prefer a MH also for that application when using baits 3/8 oz or heavier.
Usually when fishing plastics you're using larger hooks (4/0 or 5/0 EWG's for me) and you need a rod with some backbone to get the hook through the plastic and into the fish and a medium lacks that power.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 02:39 PM   #5
TennTyrant
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I just got a st croix premier 7 mhf and it feels great, I am sure I could use it for plastics but I have it set up on a citica and am going to use it for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and chatterbaits. I love it for 119.00
TennTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 02:48 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd definitely get a MH. If you like the premeir I'd get that over the mojo. But it doesn't really matter because the blanks are both SCII graphite. But for the 99.99 price tag of the mojo, and 110-120 of the premier, I think you can get a little more for your money. I love my premier for sure though... it's a great rod (7' M F spinning), I just think you can get a little more for money is all.

What ever you chose, get a MH rod for fishing plastics, you'll have lots more backbone as appose to the M.
Old 07-22-11, 03:40 PM   #7
bassboogieman

I just got an email today from Kistler and they are running a clearance on a few of their LTA rods with micro guides at $100 off the retail price of $249. Two are perfect for worms/plastics - 6'9" & 7'0" MH/f (I use a 6'9" LTX and really like that length). If you're looking for a worm rod it would be hard to beat either of these at $149. If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll forward the offer with all the details and discount code. I don't know how long the offer may last, once the available number of rods is gone the offer will be withdrawn.
Old 07-22-11, 04:00 PM   #8
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I think that ANY medium power rod would feel flimsy using them with a T-Rigged anything. That rod is more suited for cranking IMHO.
Thanks man for replying the power of the rod yea your probably right but this rod has a fast action so it would be terrible for crankbaits lol it would rip the lure right out of the fishes mouth.

Also I did not mention its a spinning rod I prefer spinning gear when using light soft plastics and wacky rigs to avoid backlashes also to avoid misconception I am not pitching/flipping with this rod.
For pitching/flipping heavier soft plastics/grubs what ever it be baitcaster is the way to go and MH rod for sure probably would be the same rod I would use for jigs.

Maybe I should move up to a MH premier rod would that work well for wacky rigging though?

Last edited by thekevster; 07-22-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 04:12 PM   #9
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Agree with the others that a medium power casting rod is too light for plastics other than finesse, and then I prefer a spinning rod. Medium power casting rods work well for treble hook baits. I have thrown spinnerbaits on medium, but prefer a MH also for that application when using baits 3/8 oz or heavier.
Usually when fishing plastics you're using larger hooks (4/0 or 5/0 EWG's for me) and you need a rod with some backbone to get the hook through the plastic and into the fish and a medium lacks that power.
Yea I am going to a MHF spinning rod but do you think that I can still use it for wacky rigging a well?
In the ideal world or in the future I will have a MF for wacky rigging and another rod for heavier soft plastics still spinning though.
I like to use bait casters for spinner baits,crankbaits,jigs and heavy soft plastics and a few other stuff.
Thanks for the offer but that is for a baitcasting rod not looking for that for this setup.
Old 07-22-11, 06:14 PM   #10
bassboogieman

I use a spinning gear occasionaly for wacky Senko, especially when fishing out of my kayak, but I usually drop back to a medium/fast because the smaller, thinner wire hook sets a lot easier than a 5/0 EWG, but you should be fine. When fishing plastics T-rigged on spinning gear I would move up to the MH/f. I use spinning gear a lot more often fishing out of the 'yak, than out of my bass boat. If you're limited to one rod, then I'd take the MH - it would work better for wacky rigs than a M would for T-rig - more versitile choice.
Old 07-22-11, 06:23 PM   #11
keithdog

I have 2 premier rods. One is a 7'MH/Mod crankbait rod and the other is a 6'6"MH/Mod crankbait rod. I absolutely love these rods and feel they would handle any situation I run into as far as crankbaits go. As with any rod, it needs to be used for what it's intended for. But hey, if you don't like your Premier, I'll gladly take it off your hands for ya.
Old 07-22-11, 07:47 PM   #12
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I use a spinning gear occasionaly for wacky Senko, especially when fishing out of my kayak, but I usually drop back to a medium/fast because the smaller, thinner wire hook sets a lot easier than a 5/0 EWG, but you should be fine. When fishing plastics T-rigged on spinning gear I would move up to the MH/f. I use spinning gear a lot more often fishing out of the 'yak, than out of my bass boat. If you're limited to one rod, then I'd take the MH - it would work better for wacky rigs than a M would for T-rig - more versitile choice.
Yea I am going to get a MH I need the hook setting power.
Wacky senko is exactly what I use when wacky rigging its great when the bass get really picky it seems.

I hear ya I know some people hate spinning gear and some people love it lol.
I am neither I see use for it in some situations but I definitely need one on the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I have 2 premier rods. One is a 7'MH/Mod crankbait rod and the other is a 6'6"MH/Mod crankbait rod. I absolutely love these rods and feel they would handle any situation I run into as far as crankbaits go. As with any rod, it needs to be used for what it's intended for. But hey, if you don't like your Premier, I'll gladly take it off your hands for ya.
Yea they are great rods I just purchased a tidemaster inshore rod for saltwater fishing snook and red drum its great as well.
If you really want my rod I will sell it for 50$ but then again I may keep it and find use for it in the future

Last edited by thekevster; 07-22-11 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-24-11, 06:39 PM   #13
Fish30114

First off, I have that same rod and two other premiers. I also HAD the Med/Fast in a Mojo, and it was more mushy than the premier. I have a few rods up the scale in St. Croix's line, (the Avid Series) and they do feel 'crisper', but the med/fast in the Premier is plenty of backbone for hooksetting IMO, with all but the biggest plastics...unless you have a lot of line out or something abnormal to me. I actually like a heavier rig for other methods, like horsing fish out of thick stuff AND running heavy crankbaits...I guess thats what makes the world go round, Vanilla and Choclate as they say, but I don't think you should be having problems with wacky worms etc. as far as hooksetting goes--in fact if I can figure how to post a pic here, I can show you three over 5lbs that I bagged yesterday with a Shimano Sahara 3500 series on that exact rod, 12 lb Stealth Flouro and 7" Senkos and the largest size Spot Remover with a Yamamoto H-grub--about a 4-0 hook I think, was running the 4-0 Gammy superline EWG on the Senkos, zero problem with hooksets.
BTW I like spinning gear, and baitcasting as well, If I had to run just one type I would go with a spinning rig, it is flat easier to cast lightweight soft plastics on them--period!

Last edited by Fish30114; 07-24-11 at 06:58 PM.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 07:39 PM   #14
Tavery5

I own a couple of the Premiers and a Mojo and can tell no real difference in the blanks, actually I have kinda always considered them the same rod just with a different handle configuration. The Mojo I own is a 7ft Med/Fast. I fish it much the same as I do any of my other MH/F rods, I just choose to use it when I know it will be in less dense cover. I have not had any problems with good hook sets. Might want to take a look at the line you are using and see if using a line with less stretch would help.
Old 07-24-11, 07:46 PM   #15
Bassboss

I've heard that the premier is crisper then the mojo as well even though they're made on the same blank.

In fact a 7' MH F mojo is 4.6, and the 7' MH F premier is 4.7.You'd think that the split grip, and zero fore grip would take off a little less a .1oz. the Mojo is also made in Mexico, and premier in the USA. Kinda makes me wonder...

Very nice bass btw fish30!
Old 07-24-11, 11:24 PM   #16
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish30114 View Post
First off, I have that same rod and two other premiers. I also HAD the Med/Fast in a Mojo, and it was more mushy than the premier. I have a few rods up the scale in St. Croix's line, (the Avid Series) and they do feel 'crisper', but the med/fast in the Premier is plenty of backbone for hooksetting IMO, with all but the biggest plastics...unless you have a lot of line out or something abnormal to me. I actually like a heavier rig for other methods, like horsing fish out of thick stuff AND running heavy crankbaits...I guess thats what makes the world go round, Vanilla and Choclate as they say, but I don't think you should be having problems with wacky worms etc. as far as hooksetting goes--in fact if I can figure how to post a pic here, I can show you three over 5lbs that I bagged yesterday with a Shimano Sahara 3500 series on that exact rod, 12 lb Stealth Flouro and 7" Senkos and the largest size Spot Remover with a Yamamoto H-grub--about a 4-0 hook I think, was running the 4-0 Gammy superline EWG on the Senkos, zero problem with hooksets.
BTW I like spinning gear, and baitcasting as well, If I had to run just one type I would go with a spinning rig, it is flat easier to cast lightweight soft plastics on them--period!
Nice fish
Yea I like the rod and all,I have gotten a few big fish on it before but I recently went through a bad experience with it my friend caught 7 bass on his rod I got only 1 maybe a half pound bass I was pissed and I started to blame the rod and since then I have gotten no fish on this rod really is it me lol or the rod ya know.I usually use 10lb braid with 8lb bps fluorocarbon leader for this setup.
In fact I got a huge bite and near hook set on what I believed was a 5lb bass or so but I did not get the hook set.
Old 07-25-11, 11:39 AM   #17
Fish30114

Thanks on the fish guys, little storm that moved through had em really active--nice afternoon/eve on the lake.

It's all up to each individual, but I might change hooks or something if having lack of hook-ups, but I think the Premier rod will do just fine on setting a hook as I mentioned.
I can tell you that I have run across some killer deals on Shimano crucial rods, (as cheap as premiers) and if you see one of those (i think they are discontinuing that model) that would be worth a try--I actually bought 2 7' MH/F casting rods--under $50! Just a keep your eyes open note! Good Luck!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.