Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-20-08, 09:43 PM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It's weird. about 4/5 of it has, yet a very weird shapped area has not. This is VERY surprising since the temperature read 5 this morning and 9 right now. The only thing I can think of is that the waves are keeping it from freezing, but still, this will be our third night below 20 degrees, and 2nd in single digits. I am expecting the whole tihng to be froze tomarrow morning.

BB
Old 01-20-08, 10:02 PM   #27
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Go out and fish it! Then you could say you've fished (normal), and ice-fished the same body of the water, two different ways, in one days!

-Lunk-
Old 01-21-08, 10:09 AM   #28
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchasejones View Post
Some of you people dont need to respond if you dont know what you're talking about.....jerkbait...nuf said...thats stupid. Give some explanation and give a few options cause no one bait will catch em everywhere everyday.
Give me a break bud... I fished bass tournaments with my father before you were born! I think I've learned a little about bass fishing over the last... 33 years!

Zook... I was just trying to being funny. Didn't mean to steal your line per say! Although a suspending jerkbait IS my favorite Winter/early Spring lure of choice!

QUOTE]It's weird. about 4/5 of it has, yet a very weird shapped area has not. This is VERY surprising since the temperature read 5 this morning and 9 right now. The only thing I can think of is that the waves are keeping it from freezing, but still, this will be our third night below 20 degrees, and 2nd in single digits. I am expecting the whole tihng to be froze tomarrow morning.[/QUOTE]

This may be caused by under water springs. I fish a pond that does the same and I can tell you that early Spring that area is HOT. When the rest of the pond is around 46-48 that back area is about 56-58. I have caught some real pigs in that spot on spinnerbaits and jigs. That little stretch of bank will be the last to freeze over and the first to melt. Once the ice melts off your pond that area should hold bass because it probably has the warmest water.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 06:24 PM   #29
zooker

yeah addict i figured it to be that way...

finding a flowing spring in the middle of the lake is probly the best winter spot also a good place during the hottest part of the year...

i know of 4 springs three shallow and one about 12 feet deep..

zooker
Old 01-21-08, 09:06 PM   #30
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
yeah addict i figured it to be that way...

finding a flowing spring in the middle of the lake is probly the best winter spot also a good place during the hottest part of the year...

i know of 4 springs three shallow and one about 12 feet deep..

zooker

I would think the same thing (underground spring), but he already said it WAS frozen before the warmup, so it might just be the last little bit of warmth in the pond before freezing over again (Shootfire! I don't know, Ponds freezing over down here ain't normal! lol)

I've been bass-fishing for a very long time and I can attest that a few warm sunny days even in 39 degree water you can catch fish on a Jerkbait. Not always, but I've darned sure done it myself and read too many articles that say the same thing! But it is not my go to for most Winter outings. I normally aim for the deeper population of fish until the water starts a gradual but consistent climb towards Spring.

Old 01-24-08, 04:46 PM   #31
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Go out and fish it! Then you could say you've fished (normal), and ice-fished the same body of the water, two different ways, in one days!

-Lunk-
LL, the ice is still a bit thin for ice fishing. Should be getting thicker with these frigid nights we've been having.

BB
Old 01-24-08, 05:26 PM   #32
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

That is weird, BB. we were ice fishing the ponds up here last weekend...

-Lunk-
Old 01-25-08, 06:24 PM   #33
BigBassin144

I am going out ot check the ice right now. I'll report the thickness in about 5 minutes. Be right back,

BB
Old 01-25-08, 06:45 PM   #34
BigBassin144

well, The part of my pond that froze later was about 3", the other part was 4"
That's anough to go out on so I'm sure we'll be ice fishing this weekend if we get any time.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.