Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-15-09, 11:48 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Arrow First attempt at building an in-line spinner!

Well, I've been wanting to do this for a long time! And I finally got some wire to for it. I used about 10" of wire, a 5/0 EWG gamakatsu hook, a size 7 inline spinner blade, and a red glass bead.

After a few yard of wire, I finally put a bit of a method to it. Here's what I did:

Using a hay wire twist, I put on the hook, I did 4 wide twist, and 4 tight twist. After that I put on a red glass bead. Than I put on the blade, next I put a swivel and attached it to the wire with a hay wire twist (not so good of one). I used a match to heat the wire to make it more flexible, than using pliers I crimped it down, hopefully making it stronger, than I dipped it in some water to cool it down fast. Lastly I tried my best to straighten the wire out.

I plan on using a 10" anaconda for a plastic, later on I'll use smaller wire and hooks for smaller baits, and maybe even a buzz bait!

Here's a pic!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-15-09 at 12:16 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 01:41 PM   #2
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

That looks good.I was wondering can you actually catch a bass on a spinner in Florida.I have used inline spinners like mepps and things and no tackers.I have no trouble up north but the Florida fish seems not to like inline spinner's or spoons.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 01:50 PM   #3
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

my dad and some of his buddies fished the broad river, here in SC and caught 30-40 bass Large, Small and stripers all with Mepps
Old 06-15-09, 03:28 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyfish View Post
That looks good.I was wondering can you actually catch a bass on a spinner in Florida.I have used inline spinners like mepps and things and no tackers.I have no trouble up north but the Florida fish seems not to like inline spinner's or spoons.
Thanks!

I dunno! We'll find out I guess! I've caught bass on weedless spoons in reeds before! Never used spinners before, only because they're nor weedless though!
Old 06-17-09, 02:51 PM   #5
islandbass

That looks alright. I know it will work. If you have any questions, let me know. I like making inline spinners too.
Old 06-17-09, 03:08 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
That looks alright. I know it will work. If you have any questions, let me know. I like making inline spinners too.
No problem IB will do!

You make safety pin spinners?
Old 06-17-09, 03:42 PM   #7
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've caught a boat load of Bass on Rooster Tail inline spinners at one of the lakes I fish. One day I caught 10 Bass in 30 min using a chrome Rooster Tail, one was about 3.5lbs. I think it will work, it wouldn't hurt to try.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 06:37 PM   #8
bamabassman

sac......the rooster tail inline spinner is ALWAYS tied on one of my rods. great spinner and it does catch bass. as you found out yourself. but some folks just don't like it man, their loss, our gain,lmao.
Old 06-17-09, 06:53 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
sac......the rooster tail inline spinner is ALWAYS tied on one of my rods. great spinner and it does catch bass. as you found out yourself. but some folks just don't like it man, their loss, our gain,lmao.
Hey bama... you use one's with weedless hooks like the ones I make? Or do you just use the treble ones?
Old 06-17-09, 07:36 PM   #10
66KingFisher

I've caught a boatload of fish on inline spinners...specially in creeks,and rivers.....you concept looks interesting, so let us know how it works for ya......also you might look at piano or guitar strings or even stainless steel welding wire for your next one.....I read where alot of lure builders use them for their wire baits.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 08:00 PM   #11
bamabassman

bassboss, i use em straight outta the package. white, frog, black, chrome,gold. every color they make.
Old 06-17-09, 08:50 PM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
bassboss, i use em straight outta the package. white, frog, black, chrome,gold. every color they make.
Sweet! Thanks bama!

We've got some horses next door, I can get some of that to tie them with! I once was trying to get into fly tie (I know, I know) I used some horses hair, so I can tie on there good!
Old 06-17-09, 08:55 PM   #13
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Alright gang, here comes my best kept river bass secret! Take a big panther martin, the black one with yellow spots, and switch the treble out for a 2/0 ewg. Tip with your fav. 3" grub and slow roll it around any structure. It is amazing!
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 08:58 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
Alright gang, here comes my best kept river bass secret! Take a big panther martin, the black one with yellow spots, and switch the treble out for a 2/0 ewg. Tip with your fav. 3" grub and slow roll it around any structure. It is amazing!
I'm sure! Sounds beast! I've thought about paint blades with power paint and adding a chartreuse grub to 'em, sounds really good to me! hhhmmm..... I didn't get much for my B-day..... I wounder....
Old 06-17-09, 09:36 PM   #15
Bassboss

Talking Second attempt at building an inline spinnerbait!

Ok, I took a few minutes to make an other! I don't have any clevises, but, I think it still may work.... well see! So I took some guitar string, a 3/0 ewg hook, a colorado blade, bullet weight, and a bead, and twisted me up an other.... in line spinnerbait! And I just found out my mom ows me 52$, so, I'll get more stuff to make 'em! Than I got me some grubs (4") and put 'em on there!

here's a pic:

Old 06-18-09, 12:49 AM   #16
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

the 2nd one def looks better, the first one would be a 19 inch bait with that anaconda you mentioned? but with the 2nd method, try getting a straight shank hook and thread the grub on there if your not fishing heavy cover and im sure youd have a better hookup ratio...
Old 06-18-09, 07:19 AM   #17
Mac2

Jannsnetcraft.com will send you a free catalog and you can get a Tack L Tool from them...along with some wire for making neat inline spinners. You are doing OK, but the clevis is a good thing to use. The tool makes neat wraps easy to do.....they may even have it online.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 07:21 AM   #18
Mac2

On your second rig, paint the bullet weight black with acrylic craft paint, then overcoat two times with NYC brand white lights glitter nail polish from any smaller wal mart or any target store. Makes an electric blue glitter finish.

Seed beads made of glass make great bearings for spinner blades and clevises. Use folded clevis for putting spinners on line and solid wire clevis for wire.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 08:14 AM   #19
Bassboss

Thanks guys! I've been checking out jannsnetcraft.com a lot, and am thinking about ordering from them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
On your second rig, paint the bullet weight black with acrylic craft paint, then overcoat two times with NYC brand white lights glitter nail polish from any smaller wal mart or any target store. Makes an electric blue glitter finish.

Seed beads made of glass make great bearings for spinner blades and clevises. Use folded clevis for putting spinners on line and solid wire clevis for wire.

I'll ask my folk if we can go to wally world and get some of the stuff you mentioned/1

Quote:
bingham
the 2nd one def looks better, the first one would be a 19 inch bait with that anaconda you mentioned? but with the 2nd method, try getting a straight shank hook and thread the grub on there if your not fishing heavy cover and im sure youd have a better hookup ratio...
I'll definitely do that, and I don't think I'll be fishing around weeds a lot with with them. So the J hooks a great idea!

I saw with the anaconda on, it looked crazy huge.... kinda like a musky lure! After I saw that, I shortened it up some.... but in the proses I lost the bead, but it still spins fine with out (ditch filled up some). I'll also make sore with holographic blades, I got some of them!

Thanks for all your help, and encouragement guys!
Old 06-18-09, 09:35 AM   #20
Bassboss

Default Third attempt at buiding an in-line spinner!

Ok, I took your advise bigham! I got a J hook and made one with that, I also used a 1/4oz bullet weight, a size 4 willow blade, a size 1 colorado, and 3 beads! To make it so that the top bead does not lay on top the willow blade, I wraped some wire around the shaft between the top bead, and the willow blade this way there's a burrier between the two!

Here a pic!

Old 06-18-09, 09:41 AM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey man, have you tested these out yet. I don't know if the regular willow and colorado blades will spin without a clevis.

BB
Old 06-18-09, 10:07 AM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Hey man, have you tested these out yet. I don't know if the regular willow and colorado blades will spin without a clevis.

BB
Ya, I tried it out in my ditch (when it rained) and in my fish tank, it worked fine, the willow blade didn't work as well though! But, it still stun!
Old 06-19-09, 06:02 PM   #23
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
No problem IB will do!

You make safety pin spinners?
I have made inline spinners and spinnerbaits from an actual jig head.

I am very excited for you. Inlines are an underrated bait and for some, it is a well kept secret or emergency lure that is handy to have as BassinID so spilled the beans.

You are making great progress. Try to find some clevises in the size 1 or 2. I have been thinking for some time to make a tutorial on how I make them. Just need to find the time.
Old 06-23-09, 09:08 PM   #24
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I have made inline spinners and spinnerbaits from an actual jig head.

I am very excited for you. Inlines are an underrated bait and for some, it is a well kept secret or emergency lure that is handy to have as BassinID so spilled the beans.

You are making great progress. Try to find some clevises in the size 1 or 2. I have been thinking for some time to make a tutorial on how I make them. Just need to find the time.
Thanks a lot IB! I'd be happy to make a tutorial, I've thought about it too, I think I might get around to tomorrow, I'll PM you if I do!
Old 06-23-09, 11:50 PM   #25
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
looks like someones already beat ya to it http://www.panthermartin.com/

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.