Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-10, 08:40 PM   #26
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Abu makes great reels but they don't have anything that can touch a Steez, which is Ike's primary reel.
How much experience do you have with both reels? I'm not asking to sound smart, I am honestly curious as to what caused you to just dismiss a Revo as being a lesser reel than a Steez. I agree with Nofears statement about keeping my Revos. But this has got way off subject so back to Iaconelli joining purefishin; it's a noteworthy change for sure and it amazes me that he was on the chopping block for Diawa, not too many guys out there have as much recognition as Ike and that will be a great benefit for whoever he promotes products for.
Old 01-14-10, 09:07 PM   #27
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Another rumor I've heard was Daiwa is dropping him because he didn't use his signature series rods and preferred the L&T series.

I wouldn't say he stepped down in quality. The quality of the big three (Daiwa, Shimano, and Abu) should all be on par with each other. Performance wise, he may have stepped down a bit with rods and reels (from steez rods and reels), but maybe not if it's true he mainly the used Daiwa's L&T series. As for reel, I do like Daiwas a bit better, but Abu makes some great reels.

As for line and lures, I know he was already signed on to pure fishing companies for lures, and I think he was for line also. That's why I didn't surprise me that after he left Daiwa (or whatever happened) that he is moving to Abu. I'm assuming he'll still have his sponsorship from Tru Tungsten as well.

BB
True, the Big three are pretty much on par with each other. But I really don't think that a Skeet Reese revo can compare to a Daiwa steez (what he was using mostly). The price range variances are just to great. They probably have about par quality as far as price range reels are (a 200 dollar Garcia will probably be about on par with a 200 dollar Daiwa).

Quote:
Abu makes great reels but they don't have anything that can touch a Steez, which is Ike's primary reel.
Exactly.

Last edited by Bassboss; 01-14-10 at 09:19 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 09:15 PM   #28
Bassboss

Quote:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast09abu2010.html

I bet this is the rod Ike will be using until he gets his signature rod.
Probably! I thought those where coming out in 2012, so it past my mind.

But I guess the date of début will be right on with the classic!
Old 01-14-10, 09:41 PM   #29
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
How much experience do you have with both reels? I'm not asking to sound smart, I am honestly curious as to what caused you to just dismiss a Revo as being a lesser reel than a Steez.
You are absolutely correct in your assumption, I don't have much experience with either reel. I fished with a friends Steez for about an hour one afternoon and I don't own a Revo. The Steez was amazing, but that in no way makes me an expert. I certainly wasn't trying to come off as a Revo basher. I do however read alot about fishing gear, I've read 100's of reviews and user reports on countless forums, written by people who own these reels. I think you would be very hard pressed to find anyone that owns both reels who would say the Revo, any model, is better than the Steez. The general consensus is that the Steez is a much more refined reel, thus the price tag. That in no way is knock on Revo's or Abu Garcia as a brand. Can I afford a Steez? Not a chance, if I did have that kind of money to spend on a reel I would probably buy two of something else, but that's neither here nor there.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 09:52 PM   #30
bcklash

A Steez is NOT worth the money they sell for unless thats how you make your living. And how many of us make our living fishing. I would rather buy 2 Revos instead of 1 Steez. A Steez is not $200.00 better than Revo. That being said my 3 favorite reels are Daiwa Tierras (2) and a Trillionaire(sp). But I'm about bust the monkey in the head for a Revo Winch.
Old 01-14-10, 10:03 PM   #31
TN_Bassin

Quote:
The Steez is a magnesium peice of junk in my opinion. I am sure it is a great reel, but I just won't spend that much just on a reel that will only last me 2-3 years because of the construction materials. Magnesium is one of the most reactive metals and if it cannot be used in saltwater under any circumstances then how is it going to hold up for a decade of freshwater use? I guess I'm just not sold on magnesium reels yet.
Old 01-14-10, 10:28 PM   #32
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

While I've not fished a Steex (I may have a chance to this summer since a buddy of mine has purchased two over the winter), but from what I have heard, it is not worth the price. I'd rather have two Daiwa Zillions over a Steez.

Also, I own Abu's top of the line reel (well, until the 2010 premier received a major upgrade), and honestly, I would NEVER pay $280 for the Skeet Reese Revo, would have probably been upset if I had paid $280 for the one I have. While it is a great reel, I think the Daiwa Zillion bests it, by a long shot. That being said, having handled (but not fished with) the new Premier, I would pay $280 for on.

If we're going by price alone, yeah, Abu can't touch the steez, unless you're buying JDM Abu.

but I've fished with Magnesium reels and as long as you treat them well, which you should already do no matter what the reel is made of, they are fine. Personally, if you don't like magnetic brakes, you could say the premier is much better than the steez because it offers the choice between the two (or both together). I think performance is partially a matter of opinion. Personally, I like magnet brakes better, so I'm more partial to the Daiwa Zillion than I am my Skeet Revo.

While Ike may be switching different aspects like braking mechanisms, drags, etc, I think the performance is just as good. Once you get up to a companies highest tier reels, the reels maybe perform DIFFERENTLY, but not necessarily better or worse than another company's reels.

BB
Old 01-14-10, 10:45 PM   #33
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

Once you get up to a companies highest tier reels, the reels maybe perform DIFFERENTLY, but not necessarily better or worse than another company's reels.

BB

Worded perfectly as always. I agree 100%. It is a chevy/ford type of thing which was mentioned in another thread somewhere. It is mostly about personal preferences. I like both companies, but lean more toward Abu because I use them the most.
Old 01-14-10, 11:03 PM   #34
nofearengineer

Just to be clear here, I won't even pay $279 for a Premier. I got my Premier for the price of an SX. There's certainly no way I'm gonna pay $479 for a Steez. Though I spend my fair share on fishing gear, I'm a tightwad at heart.

Performance-wise, I think they're probably very close. But if I ever get the urge to spend that kind of money, I'll pony up the extra hundred and get a Shimano Calais 200DC. Now that is performance.

Aesthetics is a different thing....in the eye of the beholder. The Steez is definitely made with more expensive material, like magnesium. However, I don't really care for magnesium, because even hand sweat can cause corrosion. And I have spent some sweaty August days, 100 degrees, 95% humidity fishing.

To each his own, though...and I'm glad we have all sorts here who like different brands. Because that's how we all argue and learn about new tackle.

As a last thought though...all of this tackle favoritism is probably a big joke. I have a sick feeling Iaconnelli could probably outfish me with a Barbie rod if he had to.
Old 01-14-10, 11:18 PM   #35
TN_Bassin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I have a sick feeling Iaconnelli could probably outfish me with a Barbie rod if he had to.

Funny you mention that. Ike actually fished with a barbie rod in one of the episodes of City Limits. Too bad I don't get that show anymore, I enjoyed watching the Nashville episode the most. He fished a few exact spots I fish. Makes me feel like I am doing something right.

I agree with your thinking. Why spend 500 when you can save up another couple hundred and get a reel that truely is unique. The regular Calais without the DC chip would be on my list before the Steez, aesthetically. They are just so sexy
Old 01-14-10, 11:45 PM   #36
Jrob78

Iaconelli is one of the best fishermen in the world, Abu Garcia is one of the best fishing tackle manufacturers in the world. I am 100% confident that both will benefit greatly from this partnership and Ike's fishing success won't skip a beat.

Last edited by Jrob78; 01-15-10 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-14-10, 11:53 PM   #37
BigBassin144

You guys have to remember, when dealing with magnesium reel, we aren't talking about raw, uncovered magnesium. All these reels have special coatings and paints to protect the magnesium. Personally, I'd take a Steez over Shimano Calais DC.

But when it comes to looks, I think the Steez if one of the sweetest looking reels on the market. But the new premier is pretty cool, even though looks don't effect performance.

BB
Old 01-15-10, 12:35 AM   #38
nofearengineer

I understand what you're saying BB144, but answer me this.

If those coatings actually work, why isn't the reel rated for saltwater use?

Sweat is almost as hard on stuff as saltwater. My favorite gigging bass got so ravaged by the sweat off my hand that the bridge looked a hundred years old. (Okay...well there was probably a little beer thrown in there too ) It wasn't even magnesium...I can picture it dissolving in my hands if it had been haha. Every little scratch and nick becomes a corroded pit over time.

Don't get me wrong, magnesium definitely has its good uses. It's obviously still a very, very nice reel.
Old 01-15-10, 01:52 AM   #39
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
True, the Big three are pretty much on par with each other. But I really don't think that a Skeet Reese revo can compare to a Daiwa steez (what he was using mostly). The price range variances are just to great.
So because Diawa charges more for a reel that makes it better than the Revo? If that's the case then you should buy gas at the station that has the highest price because it must be better gas lol. Granted I think when comparing 2 products that are very similar we tend to assume that the highest priced product must be the better choice, but that kind of thinking can lead you astray and I still say that is mainly why there is so much hype over the Steez. If someone says they have the most expensive reel on the market your first thought is that it must be the best reel on the market but that isn't the case.
Old 01-15-10, 09:00 AM   #40
BigBassin144

c-rig you make a great point. Price, while we generally think of it as an indicator of performance, isn't really a good way to compare two reels' performance.

BB
Old 01-15-10, 09:16 AM   #41
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
So because Diawa charges more for a reel that makes it better than the Revo? If that's the case then you should buy gas at the station that has the highest price because it must be better gas lol. Granted I think when comparing 2 products that are very similar we tend to assume that the highest priced product must be the better choice, but that kind of thinking can lead you astray and I still say that is mainly why there is so much hype over the Steez. If someone says they have the most expensive reel on the market your first thought is that it must be the best reel on the market but that isn't the case.
I see what you're saying, but as a general rule, a reel that's 100 dollars more than another is probably gonna be better.

Look at it this way, if you had an unlimited amount of money, and if you where gonna buy two reels one 100$ one and one 200$. But you knew nothing and could know nothing about these two reels, which would you get if preference was your goal.

btw, I would never buy a Calais DC.
Old 01-15-10, 10:23 AM   #42
nofearengineer

I think past a certain price point (with the Calais DC being a noteworthy exception), the increase is generally for improved aesthetics, exotic materials, and exclusivity status.

It's the same as buying a Rolls Royce. Nobody's going to claim that a Rolls Royce performs better than a Mercedes touring sedan. But it is a super fine piece of machinery that is a luxury item for those that can afford it.

I'm not knocking the Steez for being a Rolls Royce (and that is just my opinion of what it is). After all, I would expect it to perform as well or better than say, a Premier, with the possible exception of the areas I mentioned earlier. I guess the Premier is just the Mercedes.
Old 01-15-10, 11:34 AM   #43
WaffleJaw

I drove a 2000 Bentley on several,several ocassions (Old boss)....and my Kia Spectra5 was waaaaay smoother of a ride.

I played with the Steez....I looked and looked and looked....I was trying to find the statement that read ''Spend half a grand and we gurantee you'll catch more fish''

It was weird cause it wasnt there.
Old 01-15-10, 12:16 PM   #44
Jrob78

I agree 100% that the price of the Steez is completely ridiculous. As I said before, if I had the money to buy one I wouldn't, I would buy two very good reels for that price. That being said, in the context of this discussion we're talking about a pro who gets his reels for free, as many as he needs. I highly doubt that a Steez performs $200 better than any other top end reel on the market but when you throw cost out of the conversation your left with just the reels. There is a reason a Steez costs $479, there is a reason that the Calais DC costs $650, just because I can't afford one doesn't make it not a better option than something cheaper, especially if you are depending on it to earn your living.
Old 01-15-10, 12:58 PM   #45
nofearengineer

Jrob,

I guess I should add that in my opinion, Ike was not using a Steez because it performed better for him. I would say he was using it because he got paid tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars to use it, because they want to sell a bunch of them to people who think they need one because it must be better because Ike uses one, and so on and so on... circular reasoning comes into effect here. It's the same with all pro endorsements.

Tiger Woods can whip anybody's butt in golf with a rusty beginner's set from K-Mart, but he gets paid the most to use Nike.

I'm sure Ike can do the same with whatever reel he uses.
Old 01-15-10, 01:08 PM   #46
TN_Bassin

Quote:
I agree 100% that the price of the Steez is completely ridiculous. As I said before, if I had the money to buy one I wouldn't, I would buy two very good reels for that price. That being said, in the context of this discussion we're talking about a pro who gets his reels for free, as many as he needs. I highly doubt that a Steez performs $200 better than any other top end reel on the market but when you throw cost out of the conversation your left with just the reels. There is a reason a Steez costs $479, there is a reason that the Calais DC costs $650, just because I can't afford one doesn't make it not a better option than something cheaper, especially if you are depending on it to earn your living.

If you look at Ike's highlights of his fishing career, you probably won't even see a brand name there. He got where he is now not by buying and using the best, but by knowing when and where the fish were and approaching them the right way. He gets to use the best a company has to offer because of his hard work and screaming. A perk of being one of the best today I guess.

Will Diawa take back Ike's gear, or is it his to do with what he will?
Old 01-15-10, 01:19 PM   #47
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Will Diawa take back Ike's gear, or is it his to do with what he will?
Anything that is readily available to consumers, it is safe to assume he can do whatever he wants with. If he has anything special, that is modified specially for him, he may have an agreement that he has to return it to Daiwa, depending on just how top secret the item may be. This would of course be to keep it from falling into his new sponsor's hands for reverse engineering.

Regardless, he'll certainly be prohibited by his new sponsors from being seen publicly with Daiwa's gear in his hands or boat.
Old 01-15-10, 01:28 PM   #48
Jrob78

Quote:
I guess I should add that in my opinion, Ike was not using a Steez because it performed better for him. I would say he was using it because he got paid tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars to use it, because they want to sell a bunch of them to people who think they need one because it must be better because Ike uses one, and so on and so on... circular reasoning comes into effect here. It's the same with all pro endorsements.

Tiger Woods can whip anybody's butt in golf with a rusty beginner's set from K-Mart, but he gets paid the most to use Nike.

I'm sure Ike can do the same with whatever reel he uses.
This is very true. I imagine he had his choice of any Daiwa reels he wanted to use and out of those he chose the Steez, among others. It would be really interesting to find out what equipment top pros would use if they weren't payed to use brand X. I imagine that they would be like us and all have their favorites that they felt were the best. As someone, I think you nofear, said earlier, its great that we have so many choices and we can all pick whatever gear we like best. I totally agree that it is the skill of the fisherman that makes them successful, not their gear.

Last edited by Jrob78; 01-15-10 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 05:53 PM   #49
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
This is very true. I imagine he had his choice of any Daiwa reels he wanted to use and out of those he chose the Steez, among others. It would be really interesting to find out what equipment top pros would use if they weren't payed to use brand X. I imagine that they would be like us and all have their favorites that they felt were the best. As someone, I think you nofear, said earlier, its great that we have so many choices and we can all pick whatever gear we like best. I totally agree that it is the skill of the fisherman that makes them successful, not their gear.

Yes! It always irks me when a magazine or website will post what a pro's go to lures are in different situations.
1/2 of the lures they mention have their freakin name on 'em!
A better list would be what would you throw that you're not affiliated with?
Old 01-15-10, 11:07 PM   #50
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Wow, now the reel I've been waiting for, one that starts screaming when you set the hook.

Wouldnt that be awsome ?!!!
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.