Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-20-06, 09:58 AM   #1
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass
Default Win A Few, Lose A Few

I'd like to hear some of your opinions on how bass sometimes get off the hook or throw the hook. Saturday, Bassintxlady and I where out on the water and lost about 8 or 9 bass. I got a strike on a texas rigged soft plastic craw, and set the hook, as the bass took off running in about 6 feet of water to my right, I reset the hook, I thought I had that bass, but when she came up for her first jump, she shook her head and out popped my craw and hook. It's especially painfull because I could tell from the size of her mouth, she was about 7 pounds or better. Anyway, we lost a few more fish during the course of the day like this.
So, my question for you all is this:
1.)When a bass comes to the surface, after a good hook set, and does the ole head shake number and your bait flys out of its mouth, what does that tell you?
2.)And, if your reeling one in, and the fish is still under the water, but you lose the hook set (under water) what does that indicate to you all?

We ended up catching 10 bass, but lost almost as many, those odds seem to high to me. Please feel free to share your thoughts. Thanks
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 11:57 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd say make sure you have all the slack out of the line before setting the hook, I wonder if it was real windy that day?
Also, I always stick my rod tip way in the water when I feel the bass comming up for a jump.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 12:37 PM   #3
BassAddict

My guess would be you my not be using a stiff enough rod to drive the hook. For plastic worms I use at least a MH rod. Also... I have a little slack in my line then set the hook hard. If you reel in all the slack and pull back sometimes you don't drive the hook as well as having a little slack and snapping the rod back. Like JB said... keep your rod tip down and in the water if neccessary to keep that fish from jumping out of the water and shaking it's head. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 12:43 PM   #4
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

could be the rod not having enough backbone, the line having too much stretch, dull hooks, or all of the above. Sounds like the hook just wasn't driven in enough for a solid hookset.
Old 03-20-06, 04:23 PM   #5
IL.bassin36

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I agree with everyone else. Not a good hookset for some reason. Could be alot of things causing this though. The ones mentioned are good and here's a couple more. Was the hook sharp? Was there enough gap with the hook you are using? Sometimes those craw baits are bulky and get bunched up in the hook bend not allowing a good hookset.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 04:40 PM   #6
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm convinced that some bass clamp down on a lure or other part of the set up so hard that when you go to set the hook, you don't actually move the lure in the basses mouth. What happens, I believe, is you only move the bass. For example, I sometimes use a split shot just above the lure, or I use a Carolina rig. Basically, the bass clamps down on the sinker. The lure doesn't move inside of the basses mouth, at least not significantly. After a few seconds of the bass in, it simply lets go.

Also, I am guilting of being too soft on the hook set. If the plastic worm or creature has not slid down the hook, you know you did not set the hook hard enough.

I do everything I can to keep the bass from jumping out of the water including putting my rod in the water even though I love seeing bass rocket into the sky. Any slack and the bass can throw the hook.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 06:39 PM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

since i know you two are knowledgable bassers i would have to say the hook is most likely the culprit here.if the hook ain't sharp enough you just can't get a good hookset.but you knew that.
Old 03-20-06, 07:30 PM   #8
zooker

what bait were you using? you may have to texaspose the hook. i do it on paca craws,and ultra vibe craws.

zooker
Old 03-20-06, 07:34 PM   #9
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCYankee
I'm convinced that some bass clamp down on a lure or other part of the set up so hard that when you go to set the hook, you don't actually move the lure in the basses mouth. What happens, I believe, is you only move the bass. For example, I sometimes use a split shot just above the lure, or I use a Carolina rig. Basically, the bass clamps down on the sinker. The lure doesn't move inside of the basses mouth, at least not significantly. After a few seconds of the bass in, it simply lets go.

Also, I am guilting of being too soft on the hook set. If the plastic worm or creature has not slid down the hook, you know you did not set the hook hard enough.

I do everything I can to keep the bass from jumping out of the water including putting my rod in the water even though I love seeing bass rocket into the sky. Any slack and the bass can throw the hook.
exactly right
Old 03-20-06, 08:36 PM   #10
flbassman

On the jump, I use a trick they use when tarpon fishing: Bow to the King. What this means is that when he jumps, put the tip down and let him shake, then pick your slack up quick.
Old 03-20-06, 08:45 PM   #11
bass kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I'd say make sure you have all the slack out of the line before setting the hook, I wonder if it was real windy that day?
Also, I always stick my rod tip way in the water when I feel the bass comming up for a jump.
that is exactly what i do and if they jump keep alot of tension on the line and stick your rod right down in the water to force them down

it works on northern pike
Old 03-20-06, 10:23 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL.bassin
I agree with everyone else. Not a good hookset for some reason. Could be alot of things causing this though. The ones mentioned are good and here's a couple more. Was the hook sharp? Was there enough gap with the hook you are using? Sometimes those craw baits are bulky and get bunched up in the hook bend not allowing a good hookset.
Right on there IL, good to see you're still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I always try to keep them from jumping, especially with cranks. Sure does look prettty, but loses a lot of fish. If you can't keep her down, then time it to when she hits the top of the water, you give here a good pull towards you, helps some also, and gets her back in the water quicker, with less shaking.

Another thing is were you using a wieight, and was it pegged? I've found that pegging the weight seems to help for me, I think the loose weights give them a different direction of force when they are shaking their heads, just my opinion of course.

And lastly, we all lose fish, it does happen, and there have been times when I and most everyone else does the correct things, but it just doesn't work. They are fighting to stay in the water, the fish do win a few.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 03-20-06 at 10:38 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 10:28 PM   #13
big redneck fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

well said Liz cant say any more then that

we all lose fish, it does happen
Old 03-20-06, 10:32 PM   #14
skeeter944

i read somewhere about contolling your hookset.you might have set the hook so hard that a hole bigger than the barb was made and when she shook her head,it slided out.heres the site http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/troy/hookset.shtml
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 10:35 PM   #15
Rodman_Rob

LIZARDS! You're dead wrong, the fish DO NOT win a few, they win a few HUNDRED, lol.
Old 03-20-06, 10:38 PM   #16
bass kicker

i lost some real nice ones up at six mile ah BRF
Old 03-20-06, 10:41 PM   #17
big redneck fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

ya i no some really nice bass but more of the pike remember that huge thing i had on and not the big white turtle
Old 03-20-06, 10:42 PM   #18
flippin4it
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Rick clunn put it like this. "If you fish with lighter than a med/hvy rod, the bass are gonna win alot". I see it like this,since switching to med/hvy or hvy I have lost alot fewer bass.Kepping tension and the hook set are the key .
Old 03-20-06, 10:43 PM   #19
bass kicker

remember the huge pike i had on while we were drifting
Old 03-20-06, 10:44 PM   #20
big redneck fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

remember the pike we had troling the one was flying out of the water
Old 03-20-06, 10:51 PM   #21
BobM
BassFishin.Com Member

I lost alot of fish when they jumped...in my case it was bad mechanics..I didn't bow to the fish when she jumped..instead I had the rod tip high and was trying to horse the fish in....for me I had to soften up the hands and bow the rod when she jumps...but then again there are those your gonna loose no matter how good you are...ie Ish
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 11:53 PM   #22
Rebbasser

Great analysis, folks. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is line. Mono has a lot of stretch-that also might be a factor if that is the type of line you are using.
Old 03-21-06, 08:12 AM   #23
1FASTLASER

BeturBass
Sounds like 2 me that the hook in one way or the other was the culprit. A always do the hook on the finger nail test. If it catches my thumb nail with very little pressure I know its sharp enough and I always Texpose like zook mentioned and make sure you are using a wide enough gap hook for the bulky bodies. Just my .02 for what its worth. I also use med/hvy to heavy action rods on just about everything I throw excpt for cranks and then I use medium action rods like flipin4it said. Another thing that I do is after geting the hookset I try and kep the rod low so as to try and keep the bass from jumping. Yea its great to see a bass jumping but it is easier to keep a bass buttoned up if they arnt throwing the lure around in the air.
Old 03-21-06, 09:58 AM   #24
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944
i read somewhere about contolling your hookset.you might have set the hook so hard that a hole bigger than the barb was made and when she shook her head,it slided out.heres the site http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/troy/hookset.shtml
Good Article there skeeter, alot of it makes me think twice about setting the hook so hard. Love the comment about "putting a Ninja to shame" LOL, thanks for the post. Thank you all for your comments.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 11:04 AM   #25
lunkerhunter15
BassFishin.Com Member

when a bass comes to the surface to do the ole head shake what that tells me is that fish wants to get the hell off your line, the best way to avoid this is to keep your rod as far down a you can to prevent it and it will. My thery on when you set the hook and the fish spits it under the water is sometimes i think a bass will grab your bait in such a way that iether the hook aint in his mouth or it is in such a way that it is almost impossible to get a hookset and when you do even if you cross her eyes the hook doesnt penatrate but she is still frightend and starts running with the bait even though she isnt hooked and then when you start to play her she simply lets go. Another big factor as these guys said is a dull hook or too much line stretch, if your bait is way out there and you get a bite you set the hook that line stretch is going to absorb alot of your hookset and if you have a dull hook that just lessens your odds even more.
lunkerhunter15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.