Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-09-06, 11:19 AM   #26
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I will agree, that you can get a good combo for thirty bucks, but not with "the cheaper the better", as I fish with alot of spinning gear, the thirty dollar combos, arent nearly as good as some of my nicer setups. I totally disagree that you could put together a better setup for 30$, than I could for 500$.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 10:30 PM   #27
Larry
BassFishin.Com Member

I do a test on any rod I buy..I ask some one to hold the tip ti his adams apple and hum.......If I can feel the vibs of the humming .. I know I can feel the bite of a fish...sounds dum but it works...just try it
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 11:44 PM   #28
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I will go to walmart any and every time they offer the same product for less. It is a part of my political philosophy, the same that made this country what it is; unbridled capitalism.

Ma and Pop stores are dead for a good reason, they are too inefficient. In their stead we will see small stores on the net, EBay, BPS and so many options that the consumer is literally better off than he ever has been. Efficiency is a good thing.
Old 09-20-06, 06:23 PM   #29
trigr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have been in Dick's a few times and they seem to be alot higher on there stuff. I have a BassPro dealer that i buy most all my stuff from. He has just about anything you need.

As far as price goes i gave a little over $300 for my rod and reel. It hurt really bad but its the best feeling setup i have ever used. It's the new curado 100D reel and shimano crucial rod 7' mh action.
Old 09-20-06, 09:39 PM   #30
Vabass22

Larry, I do the same thing! That is the best trick to know when your buying a rod.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-06, 09:41 PM   #31
flfireman

I try not to be store specific. If I find a good deal on something I use then I buy it. I don't care if it's wallie world, dick's, BPS or ma and pa's bait store. I do agree that BPS has more than the average consumer can fathom, but the price is not always the lowest.
Old 09-21-06, 11:36 AM   #32
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
I try not to be store specific. If I find a good deal on something I use then I buy it. I don't care if it's wallie world, dick's, BPS or ma and pa's bait store. I do agree that BPS has more than the average consumer can fathom, but the price is not always the lowest.
I agree on price, however nowadays even with the falling gas prices, it costs a heck of a lot more to drive around for the extra pennies or even dollars, than it does, to do your shopping in one place. Ordering online, you pay a lot more for shipping when you place several small orders vs a big order at one place. I do like the Mom and Pop stores, grew up buying from them. But realistically they just don't have the selection. If they carried, Netbait, Zoom, Gamakatsu, Owner, Shimano, St Croix, G-Loomis, Powerpro, Fireline, Normans, Bomber, etc... then I would be more than happy to spend my money there, but I haven't seen any smaller stores carry all the things I buy. Weights, no problem, sometimes line too, but as for My specific likes in baits, rods, reels, hooks, lines the smaller guys just can't inventory that stuff. I by no means dislike them, but they are just too small to carry that variety. Many times they carry what the locals buy, not even what they personally use do to the market they are in, or opening orders required on certain brands/items etc... I hope they make it, but there isn't any mom and pop gas stations around anymore now is there. Just a fact, like the farmers, if you aren't huge in farming, you just can't make a living. I didn't create this world, but it is here.

Lizards
Old 09-27-06, 09:23 PM   #33
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

if you research gear you can find some cheap good reels
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 09:10 PM   #34
flfireman

Lizard, agree 100%. Remember though I work in O Town. I use the ambulance companies gas to hit BPS. Also the wally world is across the street from my fire station. Got to eat, so I go to shop for food and pick up any extras that may be needed. Plus how can you cook spaghetti w/o a 10" Charlie worm. Do have a ma & pa shop close by, they are willing to order stuff, but if they don't have a demand for it they just blow off the request.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.