Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-31-11, 05:08 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Is it a two piece?

Lugging through the woods with my seven foot rods attempting to get a knew perspective (angle) on the very uncoroprative bass. Got me thinking.....Dose anyone make a good two piece rod? Better yet, dose anyone make a good travel rod (multi-piece)?
Dose anyone use any of the above mentioned rods? Now as always, why,when,and whats your feelings on the subject?.
I had a St.Croix travel rod (not a bad pole) and after some checking I still have a two piece St.Croix Primier that has been a great rod over time.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 05:12 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My only 4-piece rod is a St. Croix, but that was an accident.

But seriously, I have monkeyed around with the St. Croix travel rods, and they seem pretty decent for a rod you can take through brush without fear.
Old 10-31-11, 05:22 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

I was given a 7'6" Falcon heavy power telescoping rod not long ago. I like it...it collapses down to about 6' so it's easy to put in my rod locker. I imagine it would also help a lot when you're fighting through trees and brush to get to the water.
One tip for you....trail the rod behind you when you're walking through the woods....you're a lot less likely to break off the tip if you trail it behind you, and it's easier, too.
Old 10-31-11, 05:32 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

G.Loomis and St. Croix are the only ones I know that makes a good travel rod.

BB
Old 10-31-11, 06:33 PM   #5
Tavery5

I have never used one, but Damiki makes a nice looking two piece rod. $80

Old 10-31-11, 07:43 PM   #6
islandbass

I use two piece rods most of the time. They are my "trunk" rods. It is ironic that my two piece rods get far more action than my "true" one-piece rods. I love my one piece rods, but I can only use them on the weekends and know that I don't have errands to run. I NEVER ever leave my rods exposed in the car. That's a no no in the Seattle area. You might as well put a sign on your car window saying, "Go ahead and take my rods."

Modern two piece rods are sufficiently sensitive for even drop shotting. There is a loss I suppose but in modern rods, it isn't going to be by much, and I would wager many couldn't tell a great enough difference to make it a show stopper.

Tav, that is one sweet rod, especially when you consider its price and having it available as a two piece.
Old 11-01-11, 06:23 PM   #7
IowaFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Modern two piece rods are sufficiently sensitive for even drop shotting. There is a loss I suppose but in modern rods, it isn't going to be by much, and I would wager many couldn't tell a great enough difference to make it a show stopper.
I have both one and two piece rods, none of which are very expensive. I spend maybe up to $80 on a good one piece. I leave all my 1 piece rods at my dad's lake house where I usually only carry them from the house down to the dock or boat.

My 2 piece rods I take back and forth with me (a 2 hour drive) ...the 2 piece rods also get used close to home at a local gravel pit or when I go canoeing (a 2.5 hour drive in the opposite direction.) My 2 piece rods tend to be cheaper: $50 or less, but they're easy to throw in the trunk and probably get more use (and abuse.) I admidt I don't take as good of care of my 2 piece rods - I've broken 2 or 3 over the last couple years by either slamming them in a car door, stepping on them, or setting the hook on solid stump

I look for deals on 2 piece rods and pick one up every now and then - I'm not too particular on name brands. (My favorite place to get rods is "Mills Farm Fleet" ...a farm supply chain in Minnesota and nothern Iowa.) I like to be able to hold a rod before buying it so I can get a feel for the weight, action and how it is balanced depending on the length. I like a relatively fast rod... IM7 graphite usually feels pretty good to me. I also look at the guides closely to make sure they're not chipped and the wraps are well done. I've had better luck buying rods when I've stumbled across a good deal as opposed to going to the store to buy a specific rod.

I generally fish with a 6'6" to 7'0" medium (sometimes medium-light; sometimes medium heavy) rod with a fast tip using 10 pound spider-wire. It's a pretty sensative combination whether it's a one or two piece. When judging sensativity, the weight and action of the rod combined with the line are more important to me than whether the rod is a one or two piece.

My heavier rig 6-6 medium heavy with 20# Suffix 832 line is a one piece, and I do like a one piece for heavier duty. (I just can't bring myself to buy a 1-piece 7 footer - just too long to put in the car)

If I was the type of person to take extremely good care of my equipment, I'd probably buy expensive one-piece rods, but that's not me. I'm happy with my 2 piece rods... they may be inexpensive, but I am picky when looking for a rod with the balance and action I am looking for.

(P.S. I'm a spinning reel guy, not sure if that makes a difference)
IowaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 02:44 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I think most people have a misconception about why a multi-section rod is less sensitive. It is not the "break" in the continuous fibers from the tip to the butt. The main problem with multi-section rods is the weight and location of the ferrule. 3 and 4-section rods are even worse in that regard. The ferrules throw the balance of the rod off. To restore proper balance, you have to add many times the weight of the ferrules to the butt. This increase in weight coupled with only a slight increase in stiffness decreases the overall sensitivity of the rod.

There are still some very nice travel rods out there though. They do have their place and I wouldn't hesitate to use one if I weren't too lazy to go crawling through the brush.
Old 11-03-11, 04:52 PM   #9
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I think most people have a misconception about why a multi-section rod is less sensitive. It is not the "break" in the continuous fibers from the tip to the butt. The main problem with multi-section rods is the weight and location of the ferrule. 3 and 4-section rods are even worse in that regard. The ferrules throw the balance of the rod off. To restore proper balance, you have to add many times the weight of the ferrules to the butt. This increase in weight coupled with only a slight increase in stiffness decreases the overall sensitivity of the rod.

There are still some very nice travel rods out there though. They do have their place and I wouldn't hesitate to use one if I weren't too lazy to go crawling through the brush.

Where does this information come from?
Old 11-03-11, 05:13 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Where does this information come from?
My brain?
Old 10-31-11, 08:04 PM   #11
bassboogieman

You could always put them in a rod bag for meandering through the woods. Both BPS & Cabela's have them and they are not that expensive. You can leave reels attached & they will handle 7' rods. Would allow you to avoid buying additional 2-piece rods and offer excellent protectin for those rods you already own.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-01-11 at 09:22 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 12:19 AM   #12
kennethdaysale

Qualiy 2 piece rods../..heart healthy bacon../..high speed dial up ????OXYMORONS ALL imo
Old 11-03-11, 08:40 AM   #13
rrw4258

Abu just started making a few of the Vendetta and Veritas rods in two-piece models.

Ryan
Old 11-03-11, 11:52 AM   #14
bassboogieman

Yeah, I heard one of the new guys at Abu came up with a brilliant idea to make use of the broken rod returns............................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 06:55 PM   #15
Tavery5

I guess what I am saying is that in all the time I have been fishing, I have seen probably hundreds of conversations regarding sensitivity and two piece rods. You are the first that I have ever heard make this statement. I was just thinking that surely there was more to this than just your opinion.
Old 11-03-11, 07:03 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
I guess what I am saying is that in all the time I have been fishing, I have seen probably hundreds of conversations regarding sensitivity and two piece rods. You are the first that I have ever heard make this statement. I was just thinking that surely there was more to this than just your opinion.
Which part of my statement?

The lack of sensitivity part?

Or the reason why?

I wouldn't have thought it was so revolutionary...

Typical ferrule material, nickel silver or brass is much denser than carbon fiber, so it adds extra weight towards the tip end. Most people would say that is a bad thing. More ferrules = even more weight.

Sensitivity can be sort of simplified down to "stiffness per weight", so anything that makes it stiffer (which ferrules do slightly) would make it more sensitive. But anything which makes it more heavy would make it less sensitive.

I wouldn't really call what I said an opinion...maybe more like an observation. An opinion would be like "baloney tastes better than salami". Sensitivity isn't really a subjective thing. sometimes we may have trouble quantifying it, but it is real and measurable.

Oh well...TIME TO GO HOME FROM WORK...THANK GAWD!!
Old 11-03-11, 07:15 PM   #17
kennethdaysale

Looks like everyone agrees on this one. Joe's OP..does anybody make a "good" 2 piece rod? Yes. St, Croix for one. However they're almost always spinning rods, plus if you look at the lineup of ANY PREMIUM rod makers inventory, you'll be hard pressed to find a single 2 piece. Why? Serious fisherman simply don't want them. End of story.
Old 11-03-11, 07:39 PM   #18
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Looks like everyone agrees on this one. Joe's OP..does anybody make a "good" 2 piece rod? Yes. St, Croix for one. However they're almost always spinning rods, plus if you look at the lineup of ANY PREMIUM rod makers inventory, you'll be hard pressed to find a single 2 piece. Why? Serious fisherman simply don't want them. End of story.

I am a serious angler and I need and use them. I also have my one piece rods too. It's simply a matter of practicality. End of story.
Old 11-03-11, 07:08 PM   #19
Tavery5

If sensitivity is not subjective then what tool do you use to measure it?
Old 11-03-11, 07:21 PM   #20
kennethdaysale

Quote:
If sensitivity is not subjective then what tool do you use to measure it?
I saw some guys at BPS last year that were holding the tips of different rods to one of their buddys butt while he farted on it. If they could feel it in the grip it was deemed sensitive. I think thats probably as "objective" as it gets.

Ps they left with 3 new rods...not a 2 piece in the bunch.
Old 11-03-11, 07:47 PM   #21
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I saw some guys at BPS last year that were holding the tips of different rods to one of their buddys butt while he farted on it. If they could feel it in the grip it was deemed sensitive. I think thats probably as "objective" as it gets.

Ps they left with 3 new rods...not a 2 piece in the bunch.

I've seen allot of different ways people attempt to determine sensitivity of a fishing rod, and have to say this is probably as good a means as any thing else.
Would be nice if there was an industry standard for the measurement of sensitivity in fishing rods, but I sure have never heard of it. Would make buying that new rod allot easier.
Old 11-03-11, 07:56 PM   #22
nofearengineer

Quote:
Would be nice if there was an industry standard for the measurement of sensitivity in fishing rods, but I sure have never heard of it. Would make buying that new rod allot easier.
I totally agree!!

However, as I've said before (and this would be an opinion ), the fishing tackle industry loves to bury us with psuedo-scientific terms that mean next to nothing. They figure we're going to buy some tackle anyway, so why should they bother?

Tav, measuring the sensitivity would be done in much the same way they test sound equipment like speakers, with a resulting dB ratio at appropriate frequencies. I actually had a high school student email me a lot and ask me that a couple of years ago, and he based his science project on the approach. I wonder how it turned out?
Old 11-03-11, 08:07 PM   #23
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I totally agree!!

However, as I've said before (and this would be an opinion ), the fishing tackle industry loves to bury us with psuedo-scientific terms that mean next to nothing. They figure we're going to buy some tackle anyway, so why should they bother?

Tav, measuring the sensitivity would be done in much the same way they test sound equipment like speakers, with a resulting dB ratio at appropriate frequencies. I actually had a high school student email me a lot and ask me that a couple of years ago, and he based his science project on the approach. I wonder how it turned out?
Seen a good article once about rod sensitivity, kept refering to vibration propagation, the speed at which the vibration travels through the rod. Not only how much, but how fast.
Old 11-03-11, 11:18 PM   #24
joedog

Ok great input. Now the rod deal and getting lighter. What about the use of titanium in a rod. Dense,light flexible but I'm sure weight plays a factor. But I'm not talking pure, more like a mix in one of thier blends. I've got rods with titanium guides and one of the sales point was lighter than other quides.
Is this just complete nonsense or is there something to this idea?
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 11:39 PM   #25
nofearengineer

Titanium is a very useful and versatile metal. Alloyed with other metals, you will find it in many top shelf rod components. The Recoil guides I prize so much are a Nickel-Titanium alloy.

However, you will not find Titanium in the rod blank itself. Carbon fiber is much stronger per unit weight. Titanium is tougher; i.e. more durable, which is why they use it in jet fighters. Titanium is also very corrosion-resistant. But Titanium is also very expensive to fabricate, especially compared to carbon fiber.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.