Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-12, 03:30 PM   #1
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Arrow Rod and Reel- Shakey Head

I plan on getting a new spinning rod soon, and have am looking for opinions on the length of the rod. I am going to get a duckett (unless yall just thrash their spinning rods, but I think they are a top of the line manufacturer). I will be using this rod mostly for a 1/4 oz shakey head, but also will need it to drop shot in the future (I plan on doing it more). It also needs to be versatile in the sense that in light applications that baitcasters fail, it needs to work. (think shad raps, floatin worms). I am focusing on the 6'6 MH and the 7' MH. What I want to know, is what do +/- 6 inches do for me? Spinning rods have gotten longer and longer in the last couple years, so just seeing your opinions and the reasons on the pros and cons of both.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ducke...page-DMSR.html

My next question is going to focus on the spinning reels, especially abu garcia. I was wondering which reel I should get. And yall are welcome to suggest other reels, but I would love for them to compare in price points. I really just dont know the differentiation between, say the Revo SX and the Orra SX (other than the orra is more exspensive, and I think is more durable {?}). I can get a spinning revo sx for $88, a premier for $136 (a little pricey, but if its that much better I could probably pull the trigger). Also a Revo S is $71. Link to SX is below:

http://www.abugarcia.com/revo/spinning/revo-sx

And also, which size reel should I get. I usually use 8lb, or even 10/12. So I was thinking the biggest (their capacity is at the bottom of the link). But opinions are welcome.

Thanks.
Have a great weekend.
Old 09-21-12, 04:30 PM   #2
lilmule

Shakey head can fished like as in swimming or stopped and shook or quivered light line,any rod and reel almost if spinning will do its a personal thing what ever suits you,thats not ultralight yet can toss 1/8 or even 1/16 fair distance and whup a 3 lber ,and slowly subdue one larger, ive got like 30 bucks in rod and reel another 20 in the line as have light braid.
Keep your offerings in rubber on a short list as lots of baits some that work here but not there,so use and buy what does there.
Just me when I picked the 10 dollar used reel up didnt pay any att to how pretty it was or how big wasnt extra large,but how it functioned,got the rod for 20 bucks ebay,antique section so just about any rod or reel can do.If you want the most expensive g loomis run over with truck they send you another.Diamond studded reels as well can be had ,makes no difference you are the one using it,its what meets your eye and fits in wallet that counts.Weight is however a concern as its slow fishin and hold onto it fairly long time after each cast some even drag them,turning the handle every so often to be legal in a T.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 09:31 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I like a M/f spinning rod, mine is 6'9", I have a very stong preference for that rod length for many applications. Reel doesn't need to be expensive, I don't think the difference between a high dollar spinning reel and one of moderate price is as noticable as it may be in a casting reel. After you open the bail to cast they are pretty muck equal. More expensive reels will offer a better drag and smoother retreive but you can get a darn NICE spinner for under $75. I don't like big spinning reels, I use 30 & 35 size myself (Pflueger size ratings). I think a Pflueger President is about the best bang-for-your-buck when it come to spinners. For slightly more you can go to the magnesium fram Supreme, that will save you a little weight (should that be any importance to you)

Back to the rod, for finesse style fishing (I consider shakey head finesse) I like the most sensitive rod I can afford. As with any presentation with plastics, for me beaing able to feel the bait is high on the list and I would economize on the reel and go full bore on the rod, as your budget allows of course.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-12, 03:28 PM   #4
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I personally think a medium/ heavy action rod is to stiff for shaky head and drop shot. I use a medium action rod. I use mostly 6'6" spinning rods but that is what I am comfortable with.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-12, 08:56 PM   #5
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

6'10 or a 7 MXF.. president pflegur..
Old 09-24-12, 11:04 AM   #6
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I dont think you need light tackle for the shakey head. Ive been using a falcon cara angler of the year it's mh with a mf tip and it's worked great. Its paired with a 7:1 abu garcia and 12# sufix fluro
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 06:49 PM   #7
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I would look at the Powell Endurance Spinning rods. My buddy has the 6-10 light, and he is able to handle some pretty big smallies with it. Uses it for light hair jigs in winter months, and flukes in the summer and fall, and shakey heads whenever. Point is, it can cast light lures as good as anything else, but has the backbone to handle big fish, maybe not best choice for 10 lb largies, but good for 3-5 lb bass.

good review here:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowe...rancespin.html
Old 09-25-12, 07:45 AM   #8
wallywallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfish View Post
I would look at the Powell Endurance Spinning rods. My buddy has the 6-10 light, and he is able to handle some pretty big smallies with it. Uses it for light hair jigs in winter months, and flukes in the summer and fall, and shakey heads whenever. Point is, it can cast light lures as good as anything else, but has the backbone to handle big fish, maybe not best choice for 10 lb largies, but good for 3-5 lb bass.

good review here:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowe...rancespin.html

i love your avatar, gosh i can see a frog walking across that as i write this.
Old 09-25-12, 09:44 AM   #9
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
i love your avatar, gosh i can see a frog walking across that as i write this.
Thanks. Its from a small lake down in south Arkansas. I live in northwest arkansas now, and its a totally different ballgame vs those oxbow lakes, but raised fishing oxbows and bayous.
Old 09-26-12, 03:54 PM   #10
Vegasspider

The Duckett 6'6" and 7' with the Exo PT IMO is the best combo I have come across in quite sometime. I was and still to a point a die hard Loomis guy but the Duckkets are quickly replacing my stock that I keep on the boat. I keep four spinners on boat. Drop shot
Shakeyhead
Weightless Senko
Lightweight Jig

On all but the weightless rig I have 40lb Power Pro braid with fluorocarbon leader to match current conditions. Any ware from 8-12lb leader. By doing this any of these rigs can be changed on the spot to any pattern I am fishing. I found out a long time ago a light jig on a spinner vs. a bait caster performs in the strike zone much better. The jig drops straight down and not an angle like it does on bait caster. Bummer because I would rather throw casters all day than spinning but I cannot argue with what works for me.

The weightless Senko casting cannot be beat when baitfish are present. The dropshot is proven to perform better on a spinner as well as it allows the bait to decent straight down. A MH rod is never too much and never not enough. Unless it is extreme spawning time I never found a need to go with super light gear with 6’ etc.

Another use for a spinner that I am actually doing right now is skipping a tube up and under trees, docks etc. The braid keeps the skip level with the water and gets further back in the target area. Mono or Fluro bows up when skipping and plays catch up which is a secondary hit on the water. Just another reason for a fish to get distracted from the intended offer.

These are what works for me and I have 100% confidence that I am not missing fish and consistently catch heavy on spinners. If they are home that is…
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 09:32 AM   #11
wallywallace

i used to have weightless setup/shakey, but my love for shakeys have taken over, i keep 4 spinning rods aswell, shakey,weighless, skipping, oddball, (tube, extra T-rig etc..) shaey heading is great.
Old 10-04-12, 09:58 AM   #12
Bob Smith

I have two Shimano Crucial Dropshot rods in 7' 2" Medium action paired with Shimano Symmetre 1500 reels, 20# Power Pro with Seaguar Invisx flouro leaders that I use for Shakey Head and for Drop Shot. One is the new version of the Crucial and the other old version. I love them both. I also have a Dobyns Champion Extreme 7' Drop shot rod that I like but not as much as the Shimanos. My choice is from years of trial and error, but even with that nobody is the same or reacts the same way to rods and reels.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.