Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-03-07, 08:03 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Jerkbait

When the water temp in early spring hits about 46 or so, I take out the jerkbait(rattling rogue) and want to get all that pent up energy from not fishing all winter, and end up jerking the cadance way to fast for bass in that temp range...
I usually have to cast, jerk jerk, then painfully count to 9 or 10 and jerk jerk again..
After the water temps hits the lower 50's, you can jerk with just 3-5 second waits inbetween cadances. Even as you pause between the two jerks, you keep reeling in the slack in your line.

anyone else have any early jerkbait temps for cold water?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 10:23 PM   #2
zooker

x-rap and pointers any questions..

zooker
Old 02-03-07, 10:52 PM   #3
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yo-zuri crystal minnow is my jerker of choice.....I prefer it on a spring/summer full moon, but it'll work at any time.
Old 02-04-07, 12:49 AM   #4
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

JB, I'm a suspending rattlin' rogue fan myself. We use the shorter (4-5", don't remember the exact dimension). We've had a lot of success with the clown pattern during pre-spawn weeks. My pop's (DadofJolly) avatar is a 10 lbder he caught in early march last spring doing the long jerk, jerk pause on the clown pattern. We consistently catch good fish on it every year and I'm ready to go right now!!!! We also use it during spawn to find bedders; we fish it pretty quick with long pauses and it usually will bring a curious male up to it. Although they won't hit it usually, we can follow them back to their bed, and catch his pregnant wife, hehe!!
Old 02-04-07, 01:24 AM   #5
Rodman_Rob

anytime the water is below 65 I'll thow one, unless water temps are higher and the profile of a jerkbait happens to be matching the hatch. I look towards those painful 10 second pauses as you refer to them, because thats when the strike most often occurs.
Old 02-05-07, 02:34 PM   #6
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My favorite pre spawn bait!! I like it in water temps between 45-55. I fish it slow. I pull it a couple feet... let it sit... jerk it... let it sit. The warmer the water gets the more aggressive I'll work it. I've just caught a pile of fish pulling it then letting it sit for 3-5 seconds when the temps are between 45-50. I use a suspending Husky Jerk mostly. In deeper clear water I'll throw a deep diving suspending Husky Jerk (10'). Work it the same way. It's deadly in the clear gravel pit ponds I fish here at home!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 03:28 PM   #7
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

As my Son (Jolly) said suspending rogues all the way. I prefer the "pro-rogues". 10-12lb super tough or dura-tuff line. You can't throw one down the bank in April and not get bit on our home water. I have caught fish as cold as about 50 degrees here on them (48 is as cold as our water gets). But once the temp gets about 62 they are money here. Our water here is crystal clear. I have spent days throwing numerous colors, but always have to go back to the clown pattern. If I had to pick a second color it would be orange belly black back. By the way, my avatar pic is not a 10lb caught on a jerkbait. It is a 8 caught on a spinner bait. (My son the aspiring engineer)....Actually, I probably TOLD him it was a ten pounder! God Bless.
Old 02-06-07, 03:59 PM   #8
JB

I like that same pattern too, and mix it up some days with a ratLtrap, once my rogue arm starts glowing lol
Old 02-06-07, 09:43 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Jerkbaits just plain old wear me out. On days however they wear out the bass even more LOL.

Lizards
Old 02-06-07, 10:49 PM   #10
Jolly

All my apologies Father. I thought you were using a different picture of your bait fish.

Jolly
ME, PE
Old 02-07-07, 06:47 PM   #11
rrw4258

hey guys, i am looking to get better on jerkbaits and so what prefered tackle is reccommended when throwing a jerkbait?? (Rod, Reel, Line, etc.)
Thanks,

Ryan
Old 02-07-07, 08:32 PM   #12
Fish2win

I use different jerkbaits at different times of the year. Early I use a countdown rapala 5 inch size. I think the fish are still deep but will feed up on a bait.The motion of the bait falling back towards the fish triggers strikes from deeper fish. Then once the water is over 50 I switch to a Lucky Craft jerk. It suspends well but dives a little deeper than a rogue.You can pull it down and stop it near deep cover like brush or stumps. sometimes dead sticking it next to a likely spot will prevoke a strike from 50 degree staging fish. I may try the long bill rogue if they are not inhaling the Lucky Craft very deep. Then once the water is near 60 I will go with a standard suspended rogue, After the spawn i will go to a Rapala floating model for a few weeks. Then once early night fishing starts I stay with the suspended rogue. It all has to do with depth. The walleye like that suspended rogue at night also. I have caught bass as deep as 15 feet in water as cold as 45 on the countdown. Fish2win
Old 02-07-07, 11:43 PM   #13
zooker

as short a stick as you can get away with...i use a 6' mid handle fenwick. as long as you are not hitting the water with the rod...

zooker
Old 02-09-07, 11:03 AM   #14
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

I ususally throw pointers.....either 100's or 128's in Chart. shad, ghost minnow or American shad. Those are my three main colors and I think I can get bit on them on any lake that has bass in it. If i need to get deeper, I will rip with a #7 Shad Rap RS in silver color. Not many folks fish that as a jerkbait, but it has put some serious weight in the boat when fish are wanting the bait just a bit deeper or when they are being pressured to death by lots of traditional looking jerkbaits.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 03:17 PM   #15
bassnman30

5'6" BPS Crankin stick with a med. action.
A 6:1 reel. 12 lb flouro.
Old 02-09-07, 08:23 PM   #16
pig n jig

I like to use spinning gear instead of baitcasters.I use a 6'6" Medium rod with 10 lb fluorocoated line. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 12:37 AM   #17
keithdog

The Rattlin Rogue is hands down my favorite ice out lure. I will use this bait all year, but it is definately my favorite lure when the water temps are below 55 degrees. I prefer the 4 1/2" floating model with a gold side color with a black back and orange belly. I believe Smithwick calls it the bream color. I'll cast it near shallow cover and let it rest a few seconds. Then start my retrieve which consists of a jerk jerk, pause, jerk pattern. I let it float to the surface before continuing my retrieve. How long I pause depends on how cold the water is. The colder temp, the longer the pause. But I let the fish decide ultimately. I've seen times when just days after ice out, the bass tore into the bait with a steady jerk jerk retrieve without much of a pause at all. Such was the case with the bass in my photo here, which was caught on this lure with the quicker retrieve. I use a 6 1/2 foot medium action rod and 14 pound green Trilene XL line on a Garcia baitcaster 4600C3.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 11:53 AM   #18
pig n jig

Jerkbait, or not ?

http://www.bikini-beach.com/body_glo...2-bikini-l.jpg
Old 02-10-07, 12:01 PM   #19
zooker

nah wearing to much for my taste..

keithdog
rouges are ok but.. they are light don't cast very well. and they don't dive over 3 feet. and have to be worked slowly. here is were x-raps have them beat. x-raps cast like a bullet they sink -count down style-and you can work them super fast with out them cartwheeling in the water..

zooker
Old 02-10-07, 12:18 PM   #20
pig n jig

http://www.bikini-beach.com/leg_aven...g-string-l.jpg
Old 02-10-07, 05:35 PM   #21
JB

zooker,
if you snap that rogue hard enough and enough times, you can get it 5-7 feet no problemo! Once you get it to the desired depth, then (using a suspending rogue) you can start the jerk pause cadence...
thats one of the reasons the pros started weighting them down at Ky lake back in the mid 90s. then smithwick caught on and makes them all suspend right outa da box now...
Ya, I know what yer thinkin, who wants to have to wear a
carpal tunnel wrist brace just to get a rogue deep with arm numbing pulls? rofl
Old 02-10-07, 07:32 PM   #22
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Ya, I know what yer thinkin, who wants to have to wear a
carpal tunnel wrist brace just to get a rogue deep with arm numbing pulls? rofl
Zooker , what he is trying to say is,its alot like a sore dick, you can hardly F**k with it, but when its all working right, the fishy smell is a well worth the trade off for all of the pain you went through while doing it ?
Old 02-10-07, 07:55 PM   #23
JB

pnj, now yer braggin' rofl
Old 02-10-07, 10:10 PM   #24
zooker

nah he is burried under 100+ inches of snow on the ground..

zooker
Old 02-11-07, 01:55 AM   #25
keithdog

All I know is that I catch a ton of bass on the Rouges after ice out. Something must be workin right.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.