Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-03-08, 12:20 PM   #26
fishing man
BassFishin.Com Member

i think finese is more of the presetation,
fishing man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 01:22 PM   #27
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

To me, finesse is all about PRESENTATION..whether it's texas rigged, carolina rigged or dropshot, everything comes into play..the cast has to be perfect with minimal water disturbance, distance and placement..then comes equipment..right line, weight, etc. When you do a lot of smallmouth fishing you tend to find yourself using the finnesse method a lot more than with the LGmouths. My fav. for river smallies is spinning gear 6-8lb mono..floro leader carolina rigged hellgramite in charteuse or pumpkinseed..absolutely slay 'em!
Old 01-03-08, 01:53 PM   #28
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I grew up fishing for trout then when we moved I grew up into bass fishing but in the hard way, fishing gin clear water impoundments where the fish can see you; finesse to me itīs a combination of presentation, size ( line & bait ), type of bait and approach.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 03:47 PM   #29
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
I grew up fishing for trout then when we moved I grew up into bass fishing but in the hard way, fishing gin clear water impoundments where the fish can see you; finesse to me itīs a combination of presentation, size ( line & bait ), type of bait and approach.
Regardless of size, your method was precise, stealthy and carefully presented. = finesse (IMO).
Old 01-03-08, 05:33 PM   #30
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

these last 3 years I finally broke down and got better sunglasses for fishing, and have done lots more sight fishing, partly due to the fact the waters crystal clear. You get to recognize when fish start cruising the bank and are still slow around April here. If you just stick with an area and finally see a big mama going to rest somewhere, like a stump of fallen timber, finesse a craw at her and have patience, good things will happen. Not only does sight fishing allow the delicate slow presentation, the angler can watch the bait and the most fun part, watch the HIT. then cross her eyes! you'll see it before you feel it.
By watching the plastic or lure, you soon realize how little effort with the rod tip it takes to make it jiggle , wiggle, or move.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 11:14 PM   #31
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
these last 3 years I finally broke down and got better sunglasses for fishing, and have done lots more sight fishing, partly due to the fact the waters crystal clear. You get to recognize when fish start cruising the bank and are still slow around April here. If you just stick with an area and finally see a big mama going to rest somewhere, like a stump of fallen timber, finesse a craw at her and have patience, good things will happen. Not only does sight fishing allow the delicate slow presentation, the angler can watch the bait and the most fun part, watch the HIT. then cross her eyes! you'll see it before you feel it.
By watching the plastic or lure, you soon realize how little effort with the rod tip it takes to make it jiggle , wiggle, or move.
what brand of sunglasses would you recommend JB? I need to get a new higher quality pair so I can do more sight fishing.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 09:43 AM   #32
Bob Smith

Whatever brand you decide on, WSA, make sure they have the sides covered too. There are a lot of good brands for polarized glasses like Maui Jim, Costa Del Mar and others (pretty expensive too!). I spend less money and get a couple of good polarized glass with side shields or "eye gloves", I try to have a pair in dark grey tint for bright conditions, amber for lower light and yellow for very low light.
Old 01-04-08, 12:18 PM   #33
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My idea of finesse fishing is mostly downsizing baits. Presentation to an extent. In the early Spring especially I will throw a Brushhog with a 1/16 oz. weight. The Brushhog to me is not finesse because of it's size but using the light weight I guess is. I usually get bit on the initial fall of the bait. In the summer time I will use a Baby Brushhog which has a smaller profile. This is more finesse to me because of the size.
As far as jigs go... that's my deal. I'm a jig fisherman all the way. However I very very very rarely use a jig heavier than a 1/4 oz. Most of the time I use a 3/16 oz jig. I will play with different trailers but I like the lighter jigs. I catch most of my jig fish on the initial fall as well. That slower fall next to a log, stump, or something, gets killed. I still fish these jigs on 15lb-20lb line. Even 30 lb braid at times. I sometimes fish an 1/8 oz jig on a spinning rod. I have caught I don't know how many 5-7 lb bass on lighter jigs. I don't like light wire hooks though. I want a solid 4/0 hook in my jigs. I use mostly homemade jigs from a local guy around here.
I can't tell you how many big bass my brother has caught on crappie jigs. He has an 8.4 lber on the wall he caught on a crappie jig with 6lb line. He lost one with me one day that weighed at least 7 lbs. right at the boat. I have been amazed at how many big fish will eat such a small bait. That is ultimate finesse fishing for me. However, he IS crappie fishing when he catches these bass. Nevertheless I'm considering keeping a crappie rod in the boat in our tournaments this season just in case it gets tough.
I don't consider myself a finesse fisherman but I guess in some cases I do!

Eric

Last edited by BassAddict; 01-04-08 at 12:55 PM.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 12:36 PM   #34
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
My idea of finesse fishing is mostly downsizing baits. Presentation to an extend. In the early Spring especially I will throw a Brushhog with a 1/16 oz. weight. The Brushhog to me is not finesse because of it's size but using the light weight I guess is.
No the bait size of a brush hog is not what many consider "finesse" but the rate of fall given by the 1/16 oz sinker is finesse. Itīs an example where finesse doesnīt necessarily mean teeny tiny baits but the presentation is slow.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.