Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-05-08, 07:07 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Frog Repair

Any one have any good repair tips for hollow bodied frogs like spros. I know the best bet is to replace them but they are not cheap. So far I have used patch kits like one would find for a float tube. This has done okay, but they do not hold paint well so I have to reapaint them constantly.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-08, 02:11 PM   #2
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you get a pencil soldering iron at Wal Mart automotive and wrap the tip with copper wire and let 3/4 inch point off the end, when heated it makes a great repair tool for soft plastics...just pass it between the two surfaces to be joined as you gently press them together. I use copper wire about the diameter of pencil lead and wrap it just three times around the iron tip....will slide off if you want to use the regular tip for other jobs.
I'm not sur if it will work on frogs, but if not, you will still have a great tool for repairing soft plastic tears and hook holes. Best to use in very good air circulation....I have a window fan drawing the smokey fumes out.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 02:31 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

We're working on a video that will show anglers a very effective Spro Bronzeye65 modification that involves cutting the bait open and gluing it back together. So keep your eye's posted, we'll let you know when it goes live.

Old 10-06-08, 03:13 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

Eagerly awaiting this frog SPRO mod. Thanks Kevin.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 05:14 PM   #5
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
If you get a pencil soldering iron at Wal Mart automotive and wrap the tip with copper wire and let 3/4 inch point off the end, when heated it makes a great repair tool for soft plastics...just pass it between the two surfaces to be joined as you gently press them together. I use copper wire about the diameter of pencil lead and wrap it just three times around the iron tip....will slide off if you want to use the regular tip for other jobs.
I'm not sur if it will work on frogs, but if not, you will still have a great tool for repairing soft plastic tears and hook holes. Best to use in very good air circulation....I have a window fan drawing the smokey fumes out.

I have one that I use on plastics. The frogs have a different plastic type and the soldering gun has not been effective for me yet. I will wait for the video and see what I can learn.
Old 10-06-08, 07:16 PM   #6
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

<<<<-------Rabid Spro Frog User

Yea, i'm eagerly awaiting this one too.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 07:34 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Use this http://www.prosoftbaitglue.com/ I will bet you money, and give you odds, that this is also the same glue Kevin uses in his modifcations. Just a freindly tip. This stuff is like water, so it will pour out quickly, and before you even realize it your fingers are stuck together LOL. It is the best glue for any fishing bait repair I've ever used though, and will recomend above all others until one can prove it's a better glue.

Lizards
Old 10-06-08, 09:45 PM   #8
zooker

lizzy
YOU been glued to the tackle bag AGAIN??

zooker
Old 10-07-08, 03:56 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
lizzy
YOU been glued to the tackle bag AGAIN??

zooker
Well it's been a couple of months anyways rotfl.

Lizards
Old 10-07-08, 03:59 PM   #10
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Use this http://www.prosoftbaitglue.com/ I will bet you money, and give you odds, that this is also the same glue Kevin uses in his modifcations. Just a freindly tip. This stuff is like water, so it will pour out quickly, and before you even realize it your fingers are stuck together LOL. It is the best glue for any fishing bait repair I've ever used though, and will recomend above all others until one can prove it's a better glue.
PSBG is definitely the only game in town. If any of you haven't seen already, I have a blog post detailing 5 Bass Fishing Products You Might Not Know About... But Should!
Old 10-07-08, 06:00 PM   #11
JB

I got some from kevin and it sticks everything in my box together if needed.

dont let a angry wife get ahold of this stuff rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 06:20 PM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

dont let a angry wife get ahold of this stuff rofl
or ex girlfriend who glued my cell phone shut with it.. she was a redhead

nuff said

zooker
Old 10-07-08, 08:53 PM   #13
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
or ex girlfriend who glued my cell phone shut with it.. she was a redhead

nuff said

zooker

rofl!!!

reason #99 "why you should avoid foxy redheads!"
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 02:23 PM   #14
Bryan

I've had to repair frogs after pike and pickerel attacks several times. Like the others said, Pro's Soft Bait Glue is the way to go.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 02:39 PM   #15
Rodman_Rob

wonder if they put mexican jumping beans in this video kevin is talking about.
Old 10-17-08, 03:20 PM   #16
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
We're working on a video that will show anglers a very effective Spro Bronzeye65 modification that involves cutting the bait open and gluing it back together. So keep your eye's posted, we'll let you know when it goes live.

How's that video coming along, Kevin?
Old 10-17-08, 03:55 PM   #17
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
How's that video coming along, Kevin?
The Bronzeye Modification video is still in the works... actually... it's the modification that is still in the works. We'll definitely have the video for you when we've stamped out the best instructions and workflow. I'll keep you posted.

PS - New videos are being released this evening. Stay tuned.
Old 10-17-08, 04:27 PM   #18
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
The Bronzeye Modification video is still in the works... actually... it's the modification that is still in the works. We'll definitely have the video for you when we've stamped out the best instructions and workflow. I'll keep you posted.

PS - New videos are being released this evening. Stay tuned.

I don't mean to rush you. I have had off and on luck with the frog (no hawgs yet). I really have enjoyed watching your other videos and look forward to the new ones. They are well presented and very informative. Keep it up.
Old 10-17-08, 06:15 PM   #19
Lancer6

Quote:

Wow! That takes me back to the high school days when I shared a bio class table (and frog) with Elgereen Quench, a rather plump but jolly lass who always smelt slightly of coconut and had a habit of greeting her favorites with an elbow jab, a headlock, and a noogie. However, the innards of our frog were a bit more complex and colorful and I suspect that when we were through with it all the King's horses and all the King's men would have met with failure in an effort to repair it.
As it was, there was one oddish lad, from some remote Middle Eastern country (Upper Baboonsassholistan, as I recall,) who made a habit of collecting all the used frogs and spiriting them out of the building in his camelskin lunch pouch. We were never certain of what he did with them, exactly, until one of our number followed him home one day, quite clandestinely, and reported that Barack's mom greeted him at the door with some sort of excited gibberish while brandishing a frying pan.
Well, seems one of our teachers had attended UpperBab U. on a Fulbright scholarship and upon hearing our "spy"'s rough imitation of what he'd heard was able to translate as follows; "Hurry, Oh worthless sack of goat lips! Your father is clamoring for dinner and the oil is hot. Now gimme dem frogs!"
I guess some folks like a touch of formaldehyde with their grits. To each his own, I always say, but if I ever spot one of 'em skulking about the funeral home...Bam!
Not being of the same social caste (My dad was an Army Officer, her's was a mid-level taster in the low-fat buttermilk division at the local dairy plant,) Elgereen and I drifted apart post-graduation but I did see her at our twentieth-year reunion. She'd lost some weight (prolly down to 185 or so) and the mustache. All in all, not bad although she still insisted on wearing skimpy sandals despite the vestigial sixth toe and the webbing.
When we spotted each other that enchanted evening, across a crowded room, we made a beeline for each other, the memories of semi-innocent touchy-feely under the dissection table still vivid after all those years. Unfortunately for me her elbowing skills, headlock prowess, and propensity for noogies were in no way diminished over the passage of time...Dammit.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 07:50 PM   #20
zooker

now think about all the above being said by grand paw walton and you have lancer6..

lol...

zooker
Old 01-11-09, 03:32 PM   #21
Fishnngolfn

Quote:

Has the video been finished?
Old 01-12-09, 09:05 PM   #22
The Doc

You can use a bovie for getting them back together. It's a medical tool used to cauterize vessels so they stop bleeding, and to do escharotomy. (Don't ask what that is)
http://www.med1online.com/p-33757-bo...id=C17407x007&
I have a few if anyone wants one. You won't have to pay for it. I'll send it free. They work great for cutting braid too. It melts the end so it doesn't fray! I keep one in the tackle bag all the time.
Old 01-12-09, 10:59 PM   #23
cassidyta

I actually have one The Doc. It does work on some of the other plastics, but melting th efrogs as messed with the action a little too much for me.
Old 01-13-09, 10:59 AM   #24
Joel

I have never really given any thought to repairing torn or holed plastics. I tend just to toss them out, after a job well done. But after I just finished my needs list for 2009, I find that the number of bags of worms, and other creature type baits is nearly out of control, considering I usually only get out once per week. Those baits seem to be made with really soft plastics that contribute to the action I'm looking for, but the trade off is that their tear way too fast to my liking. So I'm really thinking of going either the glue or soldering Iron route and save more then a few bucks in the process.
Old 01-13-09, 11:59 AM   #25
cassidyta

Joel,

I always put my torn soft plastics in a ziplock and use rainy days for repair. If they are too messed up, then I will also toss them.
But in this case, the frogs are about 10 bucks each so repairs are far more cost effective.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.