Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-19-09, 10:45 PM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default On going fight with my buddies

I'm a firm believer that fish can see you when you are standing and fish timber or close cover areas. I constantly say "Sit down" to them when they are in my boat. Just a superstition of mine I guess...but I have seen fish chasing a bait to only dart off after they see me..plus they bits seems to be more productive if I'm sitting and I also have tons of bits at the boat I mean RIGHT AT THE BOAT

Might seem small but something I think about

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 10:58 PM   #2
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

according to the laws of physics, you are correct. unfortunately, we cannot just ask the bass themselves
Old 01-19-09, 11:17 PM   #3
Earl Marshall

For myself I like to stand up for a while and set for a while. But if you keep your boat out a little farther from the fishing spot I don't believe it will matter if you stand up. That is just my 2 cents.
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 11:19 PM   #4
REDBULLCUBAN

Send a message via AIM to REDBULLCUBAN

im the same way if were trying to fish ontop of them i would tell them to "take a seat" but i dont have my bass boat anymore . so now i tell them to step back haha
Old 01-20-09, 03:56 AM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm a bit of a power fisherman so I prefer to stand. It allows them to see me, but it also gives me more of a chance to see them and any cover. All else being equal, I believe that I know what I am looking for while fishing, whereas bass don't know that I'm coming so even if they "can" see me a bit, they might not notice unless I start acting threatening.
Old 01-20-09, 11:58 AM   #6
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bass can certainly see you if you're standing and you are right over them fishing out in open shallow water. But they can also see your boat, as well as see the slightest movement of your trolling motor prop. That alone would spook most bigger/older/wiser fish. Keep your distance whenever possible except like when fishing weeds and laydowns.

As for fishing sitting vs standing. I can't fish sitting down. I stand literally even when I'm rowing doing the trolling motor thing. I only sit when eating/rowing from one spot to another, or just BS'ing with my fishing buddies.
Old 01-20-09, 12:14 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

i only fish standing up, i even take my butt seat out of the front of my boat and leave it at home. i think there are a lot of factors that go in to whether or not fish can see you. muddy water vs. clear water
wind vs. no wind
sunlight vs. cloudy

these are just a few of the factors but i personally think that if they are going to see you standing up then sitting down isn't going to keep you hidden.
Old 01-20-09, 12:37 PM   #8
cassidyta

The only time I really worry about standing is when fishing in the shallows and if my shadow will extend into the area where I know the fish are. I have seen this have an impact. Then it becomes more an issue with boat placement then anyting.
Old 01-20-09, 06:24 PM   #9
zooker

look heres the deal bass can't see you well enough to say "nice shirt" but what they can see is shadows.. if your shadow is falling on the cover you wont get a bite. i fished for many years for trout and follow the blend in trick by wearing light-not white- colored shirts..

zooker
Old 01-20-09, 09:09 PM   #10
flfireman

I agree with Zook. The only other problem I have had being in Florida...all them dang tourist bass. Running around with cameras snapping pictures of all their big cousins, they frighten off the local fish. Plus they always want to take pictures of us Men who catch lunkers. It must be some kind of adrenaline rush for them.
Old 01-20-09, 09:24 PM   #11
bamabassman

the only time i truly think it would benefit you to sit sown while fishing is if you are SIGHT fishing. and even then i haven't really noticed a difference. just my opion.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 10:14 PM   #12
brushhog

What Zook said...
Old 01-20-09, 10:24 PM   #13
Bob Smith

I have done lots of site fishing in Texas and Zooker and Cassidyta (you need a simpler handle! lol) nailed it with the shadow theory. We tried very hard to site fish banks with the sun in front of us or directly over head. I have stood, in my boat, not more than 10 feet from a bedding bass in 2-3' of water (clear as a bell) and caught that fish after trying for 30 minutes or more. I have also approached fish with the sun on my back casting a shadow and the fish move off the bed into the snot algae and not come back out until my shadow left the bed.
On the shirt deal, I have a buddy who came up with a Tie-dye shirt called lake Fork Bass Camoflage. The colors are sky blue and white and shades of green and brown. Not sure it works, but I know the shadow deal is definitely more impactive.
As for sitting down, I won't do it. I prefer standing or leaning against my butt seat.
Old 01-21-09, 12:31 PM   #14
Raul

It depends on the water clarity, in some places and in some cases the water can be crystal clear and the fish can see you from far away, sit down. If the water clarity isnīt much you can fish standing up.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 03:08 PM   #15
aikenyounggun

I never sit becuase i have seen people (mainly my dad) miss hundreds of fish while sitting down and if you are sight fishing just put the boat back another ten feet. Problem solved.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 09:03 PM   #16
abu4600

I fish standing mostly.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 09:21 PM   #17
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with the others about blending in and your shadow is important.

On a sunny calm day over clear water I've seen fish spooked off by the shadow of your line when cast over them. The actual shadow can look the diameter of a rope on the water.

I guess it's a natural reaction of fish is to run from sudden shadows - could be anything from a heron to an osprey or even one of those standing two legged guys catching bass.
Old 01-23-09, 12:32 PM   #18
shootisttx
BassFishin.Com Member

I've gotten so fat that if I wear camo they just think I'm another dead tree if I'm standing...a stump if I'm sitting...lol.
shootisttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 03:51 PM   #19
pig n jig

JB, Does clown makeup help ?

I wear dark shades and a hat pulled down tight to block the light so they aren't really sure who I am.

I learned to fish slower,pitch and cast farther when fishing shallower water and use boat position to avoid shadowing my targeting areas.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 03:59 PM   #20
JB

of course it does, dont ya remember I had it on in the creek that year I won the winter smallmouth tourney kevin used to have?...Just remember to glue the red nose on tight, it falls in the water sometimes when Ya "lip em"
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 09:47 PM   #21
rangerryan

i always stand or lean agains my pedistal seat but i dont think that it scares the fish any more than the trolling motor or the boat for that matter.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 09:52 PM   #22
bamabassman

sound DOES travel 10 times faster under water. so when i am trolling UP to a certain spot, i'll take my foot off the troller and "coast" to the spot. trollers do make some noise ya know.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 10:04 PM   #23
rangerryan

youre right about that. but i think they'll see the boat coming before they see you standing up and that boat displaces alot of water and the fish can feel it but i still think that the closer you get while being as quiet as possible still helps you catch more fish.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 10:07 PM   #24
woody

During the spawn, when I'm back in skinny water I always keep my boat back aways from my spots.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 10:15 PM   #25
abu4600

I will try to let the wind ease me into casting range without using the troll motor if possible. I also like to be as quiet as possible. I also think if theres a small ripple on the water its harder for the bass to know your'e there, whether youre sitting or standing.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.