Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-09, 11:35 AM   #26
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm surprised someone hasn't posted a link showing how refraction (I think I'm using the right word) affects a fish's vision from under water. If I knew how I would. I've seen quite a few drawings of this refraction in fly fishing books. What happens as I understand it is when the fish looks up, there is only a small window of things the fish sees which is in a line not quite vertical from where the fish lies. So, If you are a ways away from the fish, it won't see you.

I know I didn't do a very good job of explaining this. Maybe someone could help me that knows more about this or post a link. I know this is true because I too trout fish in very clear water at times and often the fish don't see you until you move in pretty close.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 04:48 PM   #27
Tall

I had a wise ole bass fisherman tell me to always fish into the sun/ looking at it. Get good sunglasses. He said he felt that is one of the most important factors when fishing clear and still waters. How many times have you seen the pros without thier sunglasses on and they clearly have light areas around their eyes and cheecks from facing the sun and the glare off the water. He also made mention to trolling motor movement/noise as well as electronics/depth finder noise. He said little things can make a difference with big wise bass. If they see (including your image) or hear anything they can spook.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 11:19 PM   #28
Frogman51
BassFishin.Com Member

Jus wear camoflage then you will look like a tree.
Frogman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 08:21 PM   #29
rangerryan

the thing is, is that i have had productive days with my back to the sun and productive days with it in my face. i won a toury last year and had a terrible suburn on the backs of my calves.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 08:46 PM   #30
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I always fish standing. It's helpful to do so from the shore.
Old 01-27-09, 08:47 PM   #31
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think they can see you they just can't see you clearly, and + with the light above, it would be pretty hard to determine, what it is. I would not worry it to much, not a big deal if you ask me!
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 02:34 PM   #32
fishin' fool

If fish are seening you, you need to back of and make cast. But if you have to fish close in clear water there are ways to get around it. The big thing I think is to not cast a shadow over the fish. I think they can see a shadow better on the water and it sihoulettes you. I think when you're fishing shallow clear water, the bass will more likley see and hear the boat and trolling motor first before they see you.
I always stand up, and If I'm fishing clear water I back off and make quiet accurate casts to my targets. If I can, I will always cast past my target and bring it in so it wont spooke fish. Good fishing
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 02:19 AM   #33
CCbass

fact is most bass grow up in noisy water, 10 times faster as one post said, so its nothing new to them. Sure clear backwaters very shallow might spook them but other then that it a mute point. Colored water from boat traffic, bass thrive on that, it means easy pickes for bait that can not handle the current and a way to ambush without being seen.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 02:57 PM   #34
tnfisherman

i dont have a problem with bass seeing me and running off im so good looking that come swimmin in to me to get caught
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 03:00 PM   #35
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

all i can see is if you are fishing beds, but with stuff like c-rigs you miss fish sitting down b/c of the terrible hook sets

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.