Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-09-09, 09:56 AM   #26
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe012010 View Post
It's pretty much official, i will never use Mono again..im already extremely comfortable with braid and my castability has gone up 7 feet or so. i bought some Power Pro 50# spooled 5 reels up with it in all including one spinning rod and i absolutely love it. i think i will just be adding flouro as a leader in the required situations. found out that if its even remotely cloudy, with costas on, you cant see your line...im going to switch to Sufix braid soon, so should i go ahead and go with 30#?...
If you like Power Pro, you're going to love Sufix Preformence Braid. 50 lb test is just over kill test wise for every application but pitching into the weeds. That's where I use 50-65 lb test. 30 lb casts great and I've never experienced the line digging in issues with it.

One thing that every braid users needs to keep in mind is that when using 50 lb test with a rod rated to 20-25 test lb line, you can easily snap the tip way before the line will ever snap. That's another reason I use 30 lb test. Might even try 20 lb test and see how my Daiwa Advantages handle it. And always have a little more drag dialed in then you would normally have. You don't have to lock down the drag or have it that tight even in the nasty stuff to muscle out a fish.
Old 02-09-09, 05:57 PM   #27
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Why can't you just turn the braid around after a while on top and and use the bottom side if it has lo-no memory? Just flip flop it on the reel. I used to use it back in the mid-90s, but I didn't like it. I am about sold on trying it agian though. I have been hearing some positive things from a lot of people.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 06:05 PM   #28
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Why can't you just turn the braid around after a while on top and and use the bottom side if it has lo-no memory? Just flip flop it on the reel. I used to use it back in the mid-90s, but I didn't like it. I am about sold on trying it agian though. I have been hearing some positive things from a lot of people.
Of course you can. I do it with every spool of braid if I didn't cut and tie to the point that I didn't have enough braid left to do that. It's just like getting a new spool for free. Even the color is brand new. And there isn't any memory to deal with.
Old 02-09-09, 06:52 PM   #29
MississippiBoy

Exactly...just tie to another reel, and spool it up. If you want to flip-flop the braid but keep it on the same reel, you'll need 3 reels. That could be a pain.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 08:47 PM   #30
Bubba_Bruiser

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but how long do you usually fish with braid before you change it out?
Old 02-09-09, 09:35 PM   #31
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho_shi View Post
power pro is the best

spiderwire braid sucks in my experience

I use 30 lb as its 12 lb diameter

I dont buy any reels with hard spools all mine are wiffle. As with any line I dont tie round the spool I tie THRU 2 holes in the wiffle and schazam NO more slippage!!!

I use a custom rod with a Quantum Energy PT 750 with 30 lb power Pro and can cast a pretty good ways no problem a strike king rage tail shad weightless...

as for the "backer" spool it up Power Pro has a ez dispenser. IF you care to after you feel that the line has reached a sizeable amount of usage take another reel and spool from reel "A" onto reel "B". that puts the used part of the spool on the bottom and the fresh new stuff on the top. Come on now how many of ya can cast anything the whole spool??? you are really truely using only half the line so why not use the other half???

I find my self using more and more power pro and less and less mono or any other brand. I do have mono on a few reels for select uses but stay with my P.P.

Hope this helps
I also pass the line through the holes, no slippage what so ever! I with you 100%. All the BC reels fave Ppro, it's great line for fishing in Florida, and I'm sure it's great in most places too compared to mono. Nor do you need to use mono in clear water, all you have to do is to add a 4' - 5' FC leader, works fine. IMO the only reason you would need to have mono/FC on a reel is for cranking. The extra sensitivty is not wanted if you're cranking, same with the strech.
Old 02-09-09, 10:35 PM   #32
bamabassman

hey bubba, i have been told that you can use braid for a cpl of years IF you keep it treated right. i tried the wally world brand line treatment, NOT GOOD. use KVEIN VAN DAM'S line treatment.
Old 02-09-09, 11:08 PM   #33
Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hey bubba, i have been told that you can use braid for a cpl of years IF you keep it treated right. i tried the wally world brand line treatment, NOT GOOD. use KVEIN VAN DAM'S line treatment.
If you are talking about treating it right by watering it. I will try to do it daily when I am home from work. Just playing, I have seen that stuff mentioned a few times around here, I might have to pick some up. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-09-09, 11:18 PM   #34
bamabassman

hahaha, funny right there man. but yea, kvd line conditioner is awesum man. i was not thinking it would work either. respooled my new line and used it. man i can fling lures TWICE the distance now, and have better control too. stays limber and NO memory. this is truly great stuff. i am a believer now. just like i am a believer in braided line,lmao.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.