Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 12-12-10, 04:36 PM   #26
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

STILL snowin here fols. and yes it is sticking. sun just popped out for a minute as i type this. may not have to go to work tomorrow. yeah,yeah i know...........ya'll go to work in 10 feet of snow up in the north. we don't have the tools to keep our roads driveable down here.
Old 12-12-10, 05:50 PM   #27
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It's still snowing here too.

Tomorrow morning I'll be making my daily 25 mile commute across town for work. The roads here will be messy but should still be passable. After looking it up, here is what the city of Indianapolis uses for snow removal: a total of 91 vehicles, with 37 new plow trucks, and 150 drivers. It's been nearly 23yrs since Indy was shut-down; remember the blizzard of 77-78.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 06:18 PM   #28
CMorg

I am one of the unlucky bastages that has to drive a snow plow like those woody , mine is a tandem axle. Mine is yellow , if you catch my drift....speaking of drift , I am going out for a 12 hour shift at 11pm. See you all tomorrow.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 06:30 PM   #29
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Everything was fine when I went to sleep last night. Woke up when the power came back on this morning.
Had about 8" overnight, so I had to get on the tractor for an hour and a half. Usually a 45 minute job.
Ended up hoppin on for another 1/2 hour a bit ago, to clean up the most recent 3-4"
But I've been keepin warm with a crock pot full of chili
Old 12-12-10, 07:19 PM   #30
bamabassman

hey guys........ya'll be careful ok? i know oyu guys are used to thie type of weather but still. never can be too safe ya know.
Old 12-12-10, 07:24 PM   #31
bamabassman

anotehr way to pass away time on a snowed in day, MOVIES. we ahve been watching the sci-fi channel today. not worth payin to see in the theater but passes time ya know. of course we have just about gone through ALL the disney cartoon movies (lisa's idea, NOT MINE). THEN i put in a john wayne or clint eastwood movie......she goes and takes a nap or something. hahahahaha. gotta love women.
Old 12-12-10, 07:33 PM   #32
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
anotehr way to pass away time on a snowed in day, MOVIES. we ahve been watching the sci-fi channel today. not worth payin to see in the theater but passes time ya know. of course we have just about gone through ALL the disney cartoon movies (lisa's idea, NOT MINE). THEN i put in a john wayne or clint eastwood movie......she goes and takes a nap or something. hahahahaha. gotta love women.

USA has been showin the Indiana Jones movies but they might be done now
Old 12-12-10, 08:02 PM   #33
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
USA has been showin the Indiana Jones movies but they might be done now
No, Raiders of the Lost Ark is on now...
Old 12-12-10, 08:07 PM   #34
keithdog

It's whiteout condidtions here with 40mph + winds. Glad to be on the inside looking out. We were in it for a while and boy I can tell ya thats not the kind of weather my wife likes to drive in. Good thing I was driving cause I was diggin it! There wasn't anything at Gander worth gettin excited about.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 08:13 PM   #35
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
It's still snowing here too.

It's been nearly 23yrs since Indy was shut-down; remember the blizzard of 77-78.

-Mark
I remember that blizzard! I was a senior in high school and had parked next door at a funeral homes parking lot that day after the storm ended. A buddy and I ditched school after 3rd hour and ran across the golf course, which was a real effort, let me tell you, and drove to Michigan which is 25 minutes from here to buy beer and booze for the weekend. hahaha The age to buy booze in Indiana was 21 but only 18 in Michigan which is what my age was. I made a few bucks bootlegging, haha.
Old 12-12-10, 08:13 PM   #36
MallenManson

It's still snowin hard here. Might hafta dig out in the morning. Aw shucks....and I was so looking forward to our monthly safety meeting
Old 12-12-10, 08:15 PM   #37
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
No, Raiders of the Lost Ark is on now...

I'm watchin Ark right now. I tivo'd it the other night. Really an epic series
Old 12-12-10, 08:35 PM   #38
bamabassman

we are watching it now too mike. ARE WE BORED OR WHAT?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! still snowing here too.
Old 12-12-10, 08:40 PM   #39
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
we are watching it now too mike. ARE WE BORED OR WHAT?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! still snowing here too.

Ehhhh...watchin Indi doesn't mean yoou're bored. Means you have great taste in movies
Old 12-12-10, 09:09 PM   #40
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I remember that blizzard! I was a senior in high school and had parked next door at a funeral homes parking lot that day after the storm ended. A buddy and I ditched school after 3rd hour and ran across the golf course, which was a real effort, let me tell you, and drove to Michigan which is 25 minutes from here to buy beer and booze for the weekend. hahaha The age to buy booze in Indiana was 21 but only 18 in Michigan which is what my age was. I made a few bucks bootlegging, haha.
I was only in the 3rd grade back then, and remember being out of school for a few days. We were also without electricity for a few days too. Our only source of heat was our gas-range/oven and I remember Dad having to "close-off" half of the house to try to conserve heat. We were snowed in, we had no choice but to "hunker-down" and wait to be dug out. I believe we were snowed in a total of 4 days. It was one winter that I will never forget.

Oh, and a correction from my earlier post; I has been nearly 33yrs not 23yrs since the Big Blizzard of '78.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 09:55 PM   #41
nofearengineer

Man, I remember that blizzard fondly. It was outside play from sun-up to sundown for over a month. I still can't believe school was canceled for that long. Good times indeed.
Old 12-12-10, 10:07 PM   #42
bamabassman

i too remember the blizzard. although i was in alabama, 30 miles north of b'ham at the time. it got us too. power went out and only had 1 wood/coal buring heater. i got that heater today. gonna fix it up for the shop. it would burn you out! while we weren't out of school but only a couple of days, it was cool then. my dad was cussing like i am now, he had to go into work like i do now. funny how that works ain't it? hahaha.
Old 12-12-10, 11:38 PM   #43
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It's still snowing and the wind's still blowing here. looks about like MIbasser's pic, or it did before it got dark. all the schools in town are on a delay, with about a dozen closed already. Sucks college never closes, but I don't have to go tomorrow anyways. Gonna have to get me some sand bags for my truck, maybe Ishoulda done that BEFORE the snow.

Stay safe guys, and remember, no matter how much snow your area gets, most people still don't know how to drive in it.

BB
Old 12-12-10, 11:40 PM   #44
BigBassin144

Oh, and by the way, with the 30mph+ winds from the north, it's freezing in my room! haha, time to get out another blanket.

BB
Old 12-13-10, 06:00 AM   #45
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, here's the video of the Minneappolis Metrodome roof collapsing under all that snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5NXx...eature=channel

-Mark

And the football gods finally tell Brett Favre what they really think....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 08:48 AM   #46
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
And the football gods finally tell Brett Favre what they really think....

Hahahahahaha! On the radio this morning, the DJs were talkin about how cool it woulda been if the snow had landed on Favre.

Got 2/3 of the way to work today, about 15 miles before I found out nobody remembered to call me yesterday. No work.

Roads were terrible this morning. Had to backtrack and take a different route at one point due to drifting snow.

I'll be cleaning the driveway again today
Old 12-13-10, 09:59 AM   #47
keithdog

Well I'm off today. Our company never closes due to weather. If you can crawl, you can get there. But today, they told everyone to stay home. My county has been declared a state of emergency with an additional 20 inches of snow forecast for today on top of what we got yesterday. Wind gusts of 60 mph are also expected today making travel darn near impossible with the snow. Looks pretty from inside, haha.
Old 12-13-10, 10:01 AM   #48
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Got 2/3 of the way to work today, about 15 miles before I found out nobody remembered to call me yesterday. No work.
Just when we thought it was safe to turn the fan off.

And Keith, I hope that extra 20" isn't headed out way, same with the 60MPH winds. 30mph is bad enough...

BB
Old 12-13-10, 10:27 AM   #49
Bob Smith

Well, they got a littloe sticking snow just north of me in the North Georgia Mountains. We got a dusting here in Cartersville, but it's plenty cold. At 9:20 AM we are at 21 degrees with a light variable wind.
Yesterday afternoon I hosted my weekly tournament on Lake Allatoona (Sunday Afternoons from 1 pm to 5 PM). We started with temps right at the freezing mark. The wind started upwards of 30 mph and the snow started coming down pretty hard off an on through the afternoon. By 3 PM the rod eyes and reel spools were icing up pretty good. At weigh in it was still blowing, still snowing and 27 degrees. Now I know you fellers up there in Ohio, Indiana and places further northward are thinking that sounds like summertime, but we just don't much care for those temps down here! lol. My pocket warmers and toe warmers weren't keeping up!!
The fishing was pretty sad too. I have a three fish limit on my tournaments and yesterday was won with a 3 fish limit for a total of 2.77 pounds!! lol, even the big bass stayed in and watched football!
Old 12-13-10, 10:57 AM   #50
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Well, they got a littloe sticking snow just north of me in the North Georgia Mountains. We got a dusting here in Cartersville, but it's plenty cold. At 9:20 AM we are at 21 degrees with a light variable wind.
Yesterday afternoon I hosted my weekly tournament on Lake Allatoona (Sunday Afternoons from 1 pm to 5 PM). We started with temps right at the freezing mark. The wind started upwards of 30 mph and the snow started coming down pretty hard off an on through the afternoon. By 3 PM the rod eyes and reel spools were icing up pretty good. At weigh in it was still blowing, still snowing and 27 degrees. Now I know you fellers up there in Ohio, Indiana and places further northward are thinking that sounds like summertime, but we just don't much care for those temps down here! lol. My pocket warmers and toe warmers weren't keeping up!!
The fishing was pretty sad too. I have a three fish limit on my tournaments and yesterday was won with a 3 fish limit for a total of 2.77 pounds!! lol, even the big bass stayed in and watched football!
I'm curious Bob. Of the fish caught, where and how were they taken under those conditions?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.