Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-21-04, 01:06 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Bad decisions result in poor hookups

Well as many of you know I don't consider myself much of a crankbait guy, but have been working pretty hard on them this year. I learned a lot, but still have a ways to go. Anyway as the heading states when you make poor decisions on the water, then usually hookups/hooksets usually is one of the first things that suffer. I went out this past weekend and decided to really hit the cranks hard. I threw shallows runners, Rat-L-Trap's, husky jerks. I caught fish on all of them ;D. However I also missed fish on all of them. The reason I believe I missed so many were due to some bad decisions on the water.
1. I was using a MH rod, with little flex
2. I was using Fireline, a NO-STRETCH line
3. I was trying to set the hook too much like a rigged Plastic

IMO all of the above had to due with my poor hooksets. I could be wrong, but would have to say that only 50%-60% hook up ratio is poor with a crankbait. That saying that I caught 10 and missed 8-10 on these cranks. The good news is I got them all to draw strikes, the bad news is a lot of missed opportunities to put fish in the boat. Now that you read what bad decisions I made, and how it cost me a lot of fish, maybe you will be more attentative to what you're doing to keep from loosing fish also. Such as always have your hook sharp. I have said it many times here, that my preferred setup for cranks is a Medium rod, with mono for it forgiving nature. I however failed to comply with this, thinking I was good enough to compensate for it. Well obviously I was wrong. :-[ So especially for you tourny guys, this could've definately made a huge difference in your placing and payout. I will still use the Fireline if working deep diving cranks, for the thinner line, but I will make sure I'm using my Medium rod

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 02:21 AM   #2
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR
Default Re: Bad decisions result in poor hookups

Another tip on cranks:
Put a extra splitring between the hook and the existing splitring. That way the hooks has more movement and the bass has less leverage to throw the hook
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 09:53 AM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i would have grabbed another rod. ;D
but,yes sometimes we do try to be wiseguys.very seldom works out.
thanks for the reminder LR.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 10:36 AM   #4
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Lizard,
good post! Tom hit the nail on the head sometimes we think we are better than we really are, and then bad experiences knock us back down to reality. Its better to try and fail than to never have tried

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 02:15 PM   #5
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

one of the things i did to improve my landing ratio on cranks is replace the hooks with good ones. whatever brand you choose is up to you. i will nerver throw a trap with out first replacing the hooks. i like the gama's best but that just me. the better. i always use mono and a mh rod. i like the ulgy sticks in 7ft. length. seems to work the best for me i do not pull it away from the fish.
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 03:00 PM   #6
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

Lizards, you might want to try going from fireline to mono for your crankbait fishing. The give/stretch that mono has will "soften" your hookset. Also, I've found that most bass will hook themselves quite well provided its a decent sized bait with sharp trebles. Good luck!
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 03:11 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I've found the same thing as Tony-the fish hook themselves on a crankbait, but a medium action rod and mono line make a big difference in getting them in the boat. With a stiffer rod the fish has a little more leverage, and can also allow the fish to tear the hooks out and get away.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 07:13 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1098331618;start=0#0 date=10/21/04 at 00:06:58] I have said it many times here, that my preferred setup for cranks is a Medium rod, with mono for it forgiving nature. I however failed to comply with this, thinking I was good enough to compensate for it. Well obviously I was wrong. :-[

Lizards[/quote]

Tony/Rebasser,
Yeah guys I know, it was just poor decision making on my part. On the other side of the coin, I won't do that again I learned the HARD WAY, which sometimes seems like the only way I can learn things.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 07:32 PM   #9
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

go with a relitivly light pound test lizards 8-12 mono.as heavy line on shallow diver tend to hurt the action.always keep the rod tip near the water cause a jumping fish will throw the crank bait.you are getting there keep practicing...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 08:55 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I consider myself a pretty decent hooksetter with soft plastics and a lousy one on everything else. When fishing crankbaits and topwaters, it usually boils down to either the fish hooks itself or I don't catch it. But despite this, my catch ratio with these baits is pretty good. If I tried to change and do it the "right" way, I'd do no better because of lousy reflexes.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 10:16 PM   #11
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

that "hook themselves "reminded me of a nite tourney i fished 2 yrs ago.i had lyme so bad i could hardly stand.sick as a dog.and i had to fish by myself.it was cold and raining.most of the time i was just sitting there cursing and wondering why i even bothered.i got lots of bites,but i couldn't set the hook.i had no reflexes.anyway 5 fish managed to hook themselves and i got them in the livewell.ended up winning and getting lunker..couldn't believe it.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 10:17 PM   #12
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

I pretty much agree with all that was said, however, as a user of mono my whole life when I finally switched to a braided line I noticed the sensitivity is much better. I tend to feel whats going on down there a lot better. The slight tap of a fish- I didnt get this with mono. I pretty much used from 8 to 15# for a long time. Maybe I agree with Marty, If I start doing stuff the right way god knows what might happen. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 10:25 PM   #13
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LIZARDS,
You knew not to fish cranks on braided line! You knew better than to fish cranks on a stiff rod! You lost 8-10 fish on this combination, and did not ever change rigs.
You have just given everyone on this site the exact dimensions between your ears!!! ONE BLOCK.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I just could not pass that up. All kidding aside, I am sure that all of us have been there at one time or another, and all of us (yourself included) will be there again. Sometimes it is easy to get tunnel vision when we know better, but are too stubborn to stop and realize it.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 10:53 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
I learned the HARD WAY, which sometimes seems like the only way I can learn things.
You ain't alone in that, amigo. I imagine at one time or another all of us could have said the same thing. I know I sure can.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 03:14 PM   #15
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Lizardsrule,

You may wish to try flourocarbon line, it has less stretch than mono. But has more stretch than braid.
Make sure that the rod that your using is strong on the backbone, yet has a flexible tip.
You can't go too slow for a crankbait (normally).
Even on "Traps" if you put on good hooks, and keep your rod low, then you'll loose very few.
As necc. change hooks on your crankbaits, unless they already come with good hooks (these days, some do)
I fish crankbaits alot, and have been where you have been.
No problems now. The adjustments that I've made has made a big difference in the fish that I catch vs the fish that I loose.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 10:50 PM   #16
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lizard
if ya have the right set up and tie on a coffin/square lip crank fear no evil. running a crank into things is the best way to catch fish on them. if ya anit hung up ya anit fishing it right.

oh yeah get a lure retriver of some type. ya will buy one the first time ya break off a 15 dallor crank for sure.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 05:14 AM   #17
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

I don't like throwing crankbaits, never have. I do throw them however because they are fish producing baits. Everything that was said about momo, Medium action rods was right. I like a medium action rod usually 7ft, with mono, the lb test is depending on the water depth, how fast I want to get it down, and how long I want it to stay there. Lizards, the fish you missed on the crankbaits were probably due in large to the equipment, but a lot of times fish just aren't hitting very aggressively. If you get 20 hits working a certain bait, and you catch 10 of them, then adjustments need to be made. Before I start blaming rods and reels and line, I try different approaches. Slow it down, speed it up, stop and go, drag it like a C- rig. If the strike catch ratio still doesn't improve, then go with different equipment. Good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 08:40 AM   #18
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Lizards, I would like to know if you were paying attention as to where the bait was hooked in the fish ?Alot of the missed fish could be because of your crankbait selection and presentation wasn't what the fish wanted but they will still slap at the bait.If you catch a fish that is hooked on the back hook, change something like size of bait or alter the retreive because the fish wasn't really wanting the bait but if they are hooked with the front hook or both hooks don't change anything. I use a castaway HG-40 7'6" MH flipping stick with 30 lb tufline braid for cranking and I do not have any problems catching fish, just keep the line tight with no slack and give the fish time to get tired.usually no hookset is required for crankbaits just keep the line tight at all times. I hope this helps, P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.