Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 10-07-12, 10:29 PM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Electric razors

Okay, I need to know what you think about electric razor? I'm asking because my father is about to get a triple bypass on his heart tomorrow around 1045am , and they said it would be helpful if he used one for a while after his surgery. After he gets better he'll go back to his razor. My wife looked on-line and they go from 25 to well over a few hundred bucks. I want to get him a great electric razor without spending more then a hundred dollars.

We have a lot of prayers, but you can never have too much , so I'm asking for more, thanks for any help and input!!

Harold

I've not had much sleep since Monday at 4am, so I'm headin to bed, thanks again!!
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 10:40 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I know nothing about electric razors, don't use em but I'll keep your dad in my prayers! I hope his surgery goes as planned and it fixes his problems.
Old 10-07-12, 11:12 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

braun...can't go wrong with that brand.

please extend our prayers to your father on healing up quickly. my father had a 5 way by pass and now is feeling better than he did at age 40 he says. he is now 75.

please keep us updated ok?
Old 10-07-12, 11:14 PM   #4
keithdog

I will be sure to say a prayer for your dad tonight. As for razors, I'm a Norelco man myself. You can get a decent one for less than 100.00 Target has several decent ones to choose from as does Walmart. Take a look at the Norelco model AT810. I purchased that one for my son this year and it's a pretty good one. Good enough that your dad might take a liking to it. I think we payed around $60.00 or so for it. It's a nice lightweight razor. It has 3 circular blade heads, a sideburn trimmer, easily and safely rinses clean under running water. Also, it's rechargable which is important so your dad won't have to leave the bed to use it. Hope that helps. You can get cheeper, but you really pay for it in lack of quality.
Old 10-07-12, 11:38 PM   #5
nofearengineer

When the cheapo Remington I had for about 15 years finally quit, I bought an expensive Braun. IMHO, it is a waste of money. My old Remington gave a better shave.
Old 10-08-12, 12:12 AM   #6
joedog

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Braun-3-Se...07.97/17174103

Great razor.
It's like using a new razor every time you shave.
Cleans itself so no mess and a good brand.

Have similar one for over ten years, changed blades with a quick change kit and that's it.
Really nice for someone used to a blade, cause it's a clean shaver every time.
Now this is corny but, pointer for someone used to a blade, use circular motions when shaving. Save a lot of frustration.

My prayers to your father and family.
Old 10-08-12, 07:31 AM   #7
bassfisher

Thanks guys, I really do thank you for your input. I tryed them back when I was in my twenties, (I just turned 55 10/5/12, not a good way to spend my birthday in the hospital, but what you gonna do) and did not like them. (Never could get a clean shave) Does electric shave help any?

Just to give you a little on how my week has gone, they called me at midnight, telling me they changed his time to 7am today. The only good part of last week was I was on vacation already, so I didn't have to take off from work, and it looks like I'll be able to go back to work this Thursday, if all goes as plan!

Well thanks again folks for your help and them prayers!!
Old 10-08-12, 07:50 AM   #8
Bassin' Gal

While I can't offer any advice on an electric razor, I can certainly send up a prayer for your dad's successful surgery and recovery. Please keep us updated on his progress. My dad went through a quadruple bypass at 79 and did great.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 09:04 AM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
Thanks guys, I really do thank you for your input. I tryed them back when I was in my twenties, (I just turned 55 10/5/12, not a good way to spend my birthday in the hospital, but what you gonna do) and did not like them. (Never could get a clean shave) Does electric shave help any?

Just to give you a little on how my week has gone, they called me at midnight, telling me they changed his time to 7am today. The only good part of last week was I was on vacation already, so I didn't have to take off from work, and it looks like I'll be able to go back to work this Thursday, if all goes as plan!

Well thanks again folks for your help and them prayers!!
Well, it is certainly not the ideal way to spend your birthday, thats for sure. The good thing is the medical profession has perfected heart surgery like non other. When my dad had surgery, it was decades ago and you were in the hospital for 2-3 weeks. Now it's a few days. And recovery is so much faster now days.

I never did use Electric Shave, so I can't comment on it's value as a pre shave conditioner. I get a very clean shave now, but back when I started using them 30 years ago, the blade was a cleaner shave. Now I don't see a difference. I have read though that your skin needs to become conditioned to an electric razor. Blades are much better today though, so that may not hold true anymore.
Old 10-08-12, 09:56 AM   #10
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'll have to agree on the Braun razor. The skin right at the back of my jaw on my neck has a tendency to get a lot of ingrown hairs from shaving. When I was using my electric razor I never had a problem. The only reason I don't use it now is because I don't have a way to charge it.

I'll keep your father in my prayers as well!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 09:21 PM   #11
bassinbob

Praying for your dad. I only use a trimming razor so no help on that.
Old 10-09-12, 10:15 AM   #12
bassfisher

A very big thanks to all for the prayers!!! My father made it out of surgery with no problems. They started Monday at about 745am, he got back to his room around 1pm, they started waking him up around 5pm to take the breathing tube out, but he could not stay awake long enough for them to do so. So around midnight they were able to take it out. This morning he is sitting up in his chair already. My father is a very strange man of 76 years old for the health issues he had. It is an absolute miracle he is doing this well this fast!! Once again my family and myself THANKS ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS!! Now he has the road of recovery to take on, so please keep those prayers coming.

We have started making plans for us to start fishing again already, and him playing golf again. I can not wait for him to take his first ride the Tracker Avalanche. I think he'll love it!!!
Old 10-09-12, 10:26 AM   #13
joedog

Great news!

I have a nieghbor 85 years old, golfs everyday weather permitting.
Tell your dad we will wait to hear his Avalanche Adventure along with the golf game.
Oh and nieghbor had a quadurple by pass.
Old 10-09-12, 10:39 AM   #14
mike234

Glad to hear father is doing well. As to shaving with electric razor it will take a couple of weeks before it will cut really well if his facial hair pattern is full. When you shave with a blade razor you get a layer of scar cells(tissue). After you stop using a blade it takes about two weeks for these layers of cells to slough off the face, then your electric razor should do a good job for you.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 10:45 AM   #15
bassfisher

This is just for a few days (I'm sure), he's a blade man without a dout.
Old 10-09-12, 03:02 PM   #16
mike234

As far as the razor to use I am sure that the Braun would be fine but really do not know. The dermatologist my group consults, the Norleco is a fine razor but requires it be used in a circular motion and due to dermatographia of his beard could be counter productive in a post-op coronary artery graph. Why, I have no ideal.
So usually the Remington electric with the thinnest heads you can find is what should be used.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 06:37 PM   #17
keithdog

I'm glad to hear your dad is doing well. Thats great news! The recovery time is so much faster than it used to be.
Old 10-10-12, 08:25 PM   #18
Abbeysdad

Well I got tired of the outrageous cost of razor blades...they give you the latest greatest shaver like fusion 5 (or whatever) and then charge $12+ for a pack of 4 blades. So I switched to 'lectric back in June and am using a Norelco. Takes a little getting used to, but blades are in my past. No more nicks....ever.
Oh and they recommend annual replacement cutters - for my model costs about $20.
Old 10-10-12, 08:38 PM   #19
Bassin' Gal

Glad to hear your dad's surgery went well and he is already up and about. The recovery will go quickly. Just keep him up and doing his walking every day. Some days will be tough but he will be as good as new before you know it.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 08:48 PM   #20
bamabassman

so happy to read your father is doing so good. we will ocntinue praying till he is FULLY recovered and back to fishing and golfing. thanks fo rthe update pal.
Old 10-10-12, 09:04 PM   #21
bassboogieman

Quote:
Now this is corny but, pointer for someone used to a blade, use circular motions when shaving.
And conversly, those used to an electric shaver - do not, let me emphasize DO NOT shave in a circular motion when using a blade.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 08:53 AM   #22
bassfisher

Well my dad had a setback Wednesday evening. They got him up to do a little walking, and when he sat back in his chair, he had hard time breathing. So they had to put him back on the breathing tube, and he is still on it this morning. They are hoping to get him off of it today sometime. Man I'll tell you what my father is one strong man!!!

BTW, I'm back to work for now.

Last edited by bassfisher; 10-12-12 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-12-12, 10:20 AM   #23
joedog

Just got back from lighting a candle for him.
Sorry about the set back.

Prayers will continue for your dad and the rest of the family.
Old 10-12-12, 10:37 AM   #24
bassfisher

We thank you so much joedog, as with everyone else prayers!!

Harold
Old 10-12-12, 11:30 AM   #25
bassfisher

I just got off the phone with 2ICU and they are saying he most likely won’t be taking off the breathing tube until Saturday. He is still not doing well after Wednesday episode. They think he caught pneumonia. I think from laying in bed all this time while they were diagnosing him.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.