Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 01-30-13, 05:35 AM   #26
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All together now!
http://youtu.be/7lDlfDtJYF8
Old 01-30-13, 11:04 AM   #27
Abbeysdad

Good luck Bama - be careful out there...
Click image for larger version

Name:	train-accident.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	8507
Old 01-30-13, 11:06 AM   #28
Abbeysdad

Good luck Bama - be careful out there.
Old 01-30-13, 10:10 PM   #29
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahaha, thanks gang. helped rebuild a car today. meaning all i did was use a 30# grinder, lol. man are my arms tired and sore. lol. but it's a good sore. never thought i would ever say "IT'S GOOD TO GO TO WORK." HAHAHAHA!!
Old 01-30-13, 11:32 PM   #30
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahaha, thanks gang. helped rebuild a car today. meaning all i did was use a 30# grinder, lol. man are my arms tired and sore. lol. but it's a good sore. never thought i would ever say "IT'S GOOD TO GO TO WORK." HAHAHAHA!!
So glad you found a job that pays well and gives you hope for a decent future! Hang in there. The sore muscles will get better. Especially when that first paycheck comes in!!! HA!
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-13, 07:32 PM   #31
keithdog

Wait till they hand you a gunny sack and tell you to go catch a snipe.
Old 02-02-13, 10:18 AM   #32
bamabassman

well i have finished my first week of working after 3 LONG months of sitting round the house. and i gotta tell you...WORK IS OVERRATED! I AM WORN OUT!!HAHAHA!!

legs, back, feet, arms, hands are all feeling like limp noodles. of course having the "type A" flu didn't help matters much.

yesterday, all i did was drive to atlanta, following another co-worker, taking a truck to a repair shop then drive back. haven't been to atlanta in YEARS. but the traffic is still the same....NUTS!!! having lived in the KUNTRY for so long i forgot what it is like to be in bumper to bumper raffic,lol. thnak GOD i don't have to live in a city. lol.

found out EXACTLY what it is this company does though on the trip. seems we DON'T replace tracks, all we do is CLEAN UP. so here is the deal. the railroads have THEIR folks take up worn rails, they toss the uesed rails to the side. then WE come up and pick up these rails and put them on a "car". we use a torch to cut them into shorter pieces and then use a knuckle boom crane with a grapple to place the used rails onto our car which is pulled by one of our trucks. sounds simple right? well there are a LOT of safety issues involved. and oyu only have so much time in order to do the job so as to keep the tracks cleared for the trains. no room for mistakes. mistakes are how people die. so i am concerned about that. no one form THIS company has lost their life yet, but others on railroads have. not following procedures is the main reason. i also found out that my company FIRED a foreman the friday before i started. seems he was driving a truck (30 mph) and didn't stop at a road crossing. we are directed to stop and ALL crossings. jsut like all of us are to stop at rr crossings in our vehicles. he didn't follow procedure. and lost his job he had been warned, but he thought he was "top dog". so the company fired him.

so i will be EXTRA carefull out there folks. ya'll be carefull too.
Old 02-02-13, 10:45 AM   #33
joedog

I grew up with tracks on both sides of the Mississippi River.

I've seen the crews run along and collect the ties and scrape metal.

So do you guys collect the ties or just the track.
Do you have trucks that run both on tracks and on the road?
LaCrosse had quite a few driving around town.
They drive up to a crossing and turn and drive down the rails just like a train would.
They have track wheels in closer towards the axel but right next to the tire rubber. The spread of the track seperating the two main hubs or wheels or whatever they are referred to as.

WOW they let OLD GUYS DO THAT STUFF TOO?
Old 02-02-13, 07:04 PM   #34
bamabassman

yes joe, they are going to let THIS old man do this. lol.

and yes, i will be in the same type of trucks. the BIG trucks will stay on a side track till we get the "car" loaded and/or get another car to load. pickups and such are equipted the same way. on track or on the road. the rear tires do the "driving" while the little steel wheels will keep the truck on the tracks.
Old 02-02-13, 07:36 PM   #35
joedog

HAT'S OFF YOUNG FELLER!

That stuff is FLUKING tough/hard WORK!

On a dam I used to fish, tracks on Mn. side right there.
Crew was working and all of a sudden they ALL just busted A55 getting the crane right and what not. Crossing was close for them to get off but sure enough....within 4-5 mins, here comes the train.
That may seem long but it's not!

John be alert and you'll be fine!
You'll learn to love it.
And anyone EVER again asks you if you work....you can just step back and !

My respect for you has gone UP AGAIN John.
HAT'S OFF!
Old 02-05-13, 07:30 PM   #36
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Glad to see you're enjoying being back to work!
Gratz!
Old 02-05-13, 09:26 PM   #37
bamabassman

thanks mike!

start training for REAL tomorrow. then practice pulling cars with the truck and such thursday and friday. come monday morning i head out. where to i don't know yet. but i will let everyone know where i am when i get there,lol. so LOCK YER DOORS AND BARRICADE THE WINDOWS. HIDE THE KIDS AND YER RODS N REELS. CUZ I JUST MAY BE COMING TO YOUR DOOR!! BWAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!
Old 02-05-13, 09:28 PM   #38
bassboogieman

Can I expect pounding upon my door some late night?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 10:01 PM   #39
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Can I expect pounding upon my door some late night?
Seriously......

Old 02-05-13, 10:42 PM   #40
Bassin' Gal

Good luck Bama. If you make it to south central KY, let us know!
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-13, 01:13 AM   #41
keithdog

Sounds like your well on your way John. Glad to hear it my friend. It's hard work no doubt. But it looks like your fitting right in.
Old 02-06-13, 10:40 AM   #42
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
thanks mike!

start training for REAL tomorrow. then practice pulling cars with the truck and such thursday and friday. come monday morning i head out. where to i don't know yet. but i will let everyone know where i am when i get there,lol. so LOCK YER DOORS AND BARRICADE THE WINDOWS. HIDE THE KIDS AND YER RODS N REELS. CUZ I JUST MAY BE COMING TO YOUR DOOR!! BWAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!

I always wondered why the township bothered tearing out the old railroad tracks around here. Now I know.......
Old 02-06-13, 11:23 PM   #43
bamabassman

hahahaha, well i spent 5 HOURS doing some tests today. for only 2 tests, aced the first one and opnly missed 1 question on the other. got another 5 hour class tomorrow. then we'll be practicing driving on the tracks. then it's off to who knows where. lol! they STILL haven't told me my first destination yet. but i "heard" it's somewhere in the southeast,lol. fartherest "job" right now is south carolina. oh, and KENTUCKY was mentioned too.

and i was REALLY hoping for penn or maryland or MEEEECHIGAN, hahahahaha!!! indiana sounds good too. i could pick up a HOTROD in the making there i hear. BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 02-07-13, 11:18 PM   #44
keithdog

Congrats on doing so well on your tests. I never do well with tests, even if I know the material. Don"t know why. By the way, if you do get up to Micheeeeegan, be sure to bring Mike an Ohio State Buckeyes hat. *I'm sure he would LOVE IT!!!!!! hahahaha
Old 02-08-13, 01:26 AM   #45
carolina-rig-01

John, I'm very happy to hear things are working out well. I don't know much about working for the railroad but I do know it's not easy work. I am sure that being away from home will be a struggle at first but you guys will figure it out pretty quick, if that knucklehead Bubba can figure it out surely you can haha.
Old 02-08-13, 10:01 PM   #46
bamabassman

thanks gang. i AM glad to be back in the work force. passed 2 more tests today. now all i have left is the FINAL testing in a REL truck. but we have to wait for some DRY days. rain and possibly SNOW coming here in the coming week. so we have to wait for the train companies to ok a track for us and some clear dry day to conduct the tests and prctice before they send us out. so it may be after this ocming week before i actually og out. still don't know where yet. but i'll have to FEILD TRAI with 3 different foremen before they put me on a permanet crew.

i am looking forward to getting started becasue i am SO tired of being in the shop sweeping floors between tests, lol. i swear you can EAT off that floor, hahaha. we (me and 2 other new fellas) ACTUALLY MOPPED a concrete shop floor!! never in my life have i EVER been on ajob where that was done. of course it didn't do a thing to IMPROVE the floor. but hey....for what i am getting paid, i'll mop and WAX the floor every day if they want me to. lol!!
Old 02-12-13, 04:36 PM   #47
Old Hooker

Mopping a concrete floor is what they have you do when they can't think of anything else. It's a military mindset, see? Just trying to keep you honest when you go to pick up that paycheck.
Old 02-12-13, 07:40 PM   #48
bamabassman

lol, i don't mind mopping the floor at the rate of pay i am getting, hahaha!!

we TRIED to practice on an ACTUAL track today. rained us out though. it's interesting and you HAVE to stay alert at ALL times. found that out on a dry run with the trainer.

PEOPLE, PLEASE,PLEASE....PLEASE.....when oyu come upon a railroad crossing.....STOP...LOOK..LISTEN. then when oyu know it is safe then proceed to cross it. EVEN IF THERE ARE GATES, DON'T TRUST EM FOLKS. seen it today. we drove across a switch...gates went down...BUT before we came to the intersection the gates went BACK up. if the trainer/driver had NOT blown the air horn we would have kiled a lady today. of course she was talking on her cell phone and DIDN'T EVEN LOOK. GEEEEZZZZZ people. the truck weighs over 20 tons EMPTY!! think of a tri axle dump truck without the bed. then the "bed" is EXTENDED 10-12 FEET MORE. knuckle boom on it and a little railcar wagon type of thing.

i am telling oyu...this thing CAN'T STOP ON A DIME. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS RAINING!!!

DRIVING ON RAILS IS LIKE DRIVING ON ICE!!! YOU SLIDE!!! IT TAKES 3 TIMES LONGER TO STOP.

remember ...this is without a rail car behind it....JSUT THE TRUCK!

YES IT SCAIRED ME. scaired the driver too. he told me he has seen it happen hundreds of times. hasn't hit anyone yet, but he knows it is just a matter of time.

i love it so far though gang. the people CARE ABOUT ME!!! safety FIRST AND FOREMOST!! they are training me the RIGHT WAY. slow and carefully.

saturday and sunday we will be on the tracks pulling a car. we WERE gonna do it today but the rain came. AND the CAR we were gonna use...NO BRAKE PAD ON THE WHEELS. bossman raised HECK with the sister company about it too. same company, different division. plus it WAS FULL!!! over weighted to be honest. trainer/driver said if it was on the track out in feild, he wouldn't pull it then either.

ok, enough babblying. ya'll be careful out there please. railroad tracks and crossings can KILL oyu. more to come folks....same BAT CHANNEL...same BAT TIME, HAHAHAHA!!
Old 02-13-13, 12:13 AM   #49
carolina-rig-01

I'm happy for you John, it sounds like your really enjoying the new job and that's great.
Old 02-13-13, 05:03 PM   #50
Old Hooker

It sounds like you not only have a great job, but the people you work for are a A-1 outfit. I'm happy for ya buddy!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.