Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 03-10-06, 09:26 AM   #26
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

senko i don't think i resemble jimmy houston darlin....lol....wait...i might have to look again....uhhhh....nope i don't think so.....lol....
Old 03-10-06, 09:28 AM   #27
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaPopr
If its a nice fish on my finnesse rod, I'll reach way down there sometimes just to lip them and get them in, never bothered buying a net. I'll admit that I do use a net when saltwater fishing though.
Hula you're supposed to use a gaff unless your in the river then thats where you net your reds!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 10:14 AM   #28
HulaPopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9
Hula you're supposed to use a gaff unless your in the river then thats where you net your reds!
I don't go offshore, only inshore, so I do net reds and sometimes black drum.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 10:34 AM   #29
Christopherkeene9

You can still use a small gaff inshore!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 04:56 PM   #30
flbassman

lipppppppp!
Old 03-10-06, 05:33 PM   #31
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I lip them but always notice the pressure anglers put on each other to net them in tournys...I think guys that spend most of their careers lipping the fish understand playing out a bass till it tires, rather than trying to swipe a pass with the net on the very first dive near the boat..to me its more sporting..Denny and I have probably landed hundreds of bass by hand fishing together, and only once have we netted a bass.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-06, 06:09 PM   #32
bassnman30

Always use a net in tournaments. A lost fish doesn't weigh alot on the scales.
Have had the bait literally fall out of the fishes mouth after being netted. Had I tryed to lip these fish,they would have been gonners.
Old 03-14-06, 07:59 PM   #33
JB

yup,
I 've seen many a lure plink right out of the mouth after being netted..its rare to not see a net in a tournie
Old 03-15-06, 06:42 AM   #34
1FASTLASER

I am sure this has happened to more than one of us but the one that always stands out in my mind was on a local lake I was fishing last fall. Me and my cousin where fishing cranks (I was using a 300 series bandit), now on all my cranks I replace the trebles with the round bend gammy hook. To me the best there is. I hung a respectable 5lb bass. Now for years I have been swinging them aboard even some large fish. Well I was using a shimano clarus rod. When I bought three of these rods the owner of the store was telling me that they where designed with swinging a bigger bass in. Not the smartest thing to do with bigger bass but I have on many occasions swung 4 and 5 lb bass in. Well to make a long story short the bandit was not even seen. The bass had the lure totally engulfed. Went to swing her aboard and before her head had even cleared the water poof the lure popped out. Go figure. How in the he@@ does a bass throw a hook when we cant even reach into a tackle box without receiving a hook in the hand. I always have lipped em or swung em.
Old 03-15-06, 04:46 PM   #35
JB

HOW many of ya have lost a fish cause of the net? Like your partner misses the fish and whacks him on the mouth by mistake and the lure gets knocks out? I had a guy do that, he was really trying hard to get her, but due to all the buckbrush he had a hard time reaching the bass, and missed..
it pissed him off more than it did me, besides it was prefishing a day before the tourney.
Old 03-15-06, 08:11 PM   #36
basskiller24/7
BassFishin.Com Member

Im there with ya man...who needs a net when a man has his hands....
basskiller24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 10:20 PM   #37
lizardsrule

Actually I need a BIGGER net down here LOL

Lizards
Old 03-15-06, 10:40 PM   #38
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Tourney time always use a net. I always net my partners fish and I have never, never knocked off a fish or lost a fish when the net is in my hands. You just have to be patient. One night tourney I fished, I was partnered up with one of the better sticks in our club. Being a draw tourney we had to net each others fish. Well we had the discussion about how we would go about the net thing. We're fishing an area where we had both caught big fish before and we were getting really ansy. Just then Dom sticks this monster fish and he starts yelling "Get the net, get the net". I calmly grab the net and as he is fighting it he starts in with "net her, net her". I look up and just say relax, if you have control, just relax. After that he settled down and I netted the prettest 7 pounder you ever saw.
Old 03-15-06, 11:20 PM   #39
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
Actually I need a BIGGER net down here LOL

Lizards
You just gotta rub it in dont you. lol just kidding keep on catching them bigguns
Old 03-16-06, 05:44 AM   #40
1FASTLASER

A good question JB would be How many know HOW to use a net. I have had quite a few swatting at my fish like they where flies only to land em myself. Just a heads up for our younger readers.....DONT swat at the bass or stab at em. Stick the net in the water and we will lead the fish to it and then all you have to do is lift up. Am I not correct folks.
Old 03-16-06, 07:19 AM   #41
JB

bassguy,
that sure stirs up memories, I think about everyone I have ever fished with goes wild with the "get the net" yellin....then if they loose thier fish way before its ready to net, they start bummin out bad rofl...You're correct, its better to stay in control than worry about letting your partner
"save the day" by netting that bass before she tires...great point!
Old 03-16-06, 07:20 AM   #42
JB

laser,
you're right as rain!
Old 03-16-06, 01:14 PM   #43
lunkerhunter15
BassFishin.Com Member

I mostly fish from shore because I live on a private lake small enoph to where I can walk around half of it and cover good bass habitat. i love to lip um, but if shes a HAWG I drag her big old behind onto shore. I dont now it just gives me this scense of acopmlishment when you ou lip a fish, Its like sayin o'yeah buddy i outsmarted you.
lunkerhunter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 06:10 AM   #44
1FASTLASER

lunkerhunter15

That feeling that you talking about is the one that drives a bass fisherperson. Ifn you ever lose that feelin go golfing. Damn I cant beleive I said golfingg and fishing in the same sentence.LMAO!! I still get that feeling whether its a 8" or a 8lb bass.
Old 03-18-06, 10:43 AM   #45
JB

I hope I never get bored with bass fishing, I've had other hobbies consume me, but it sure is nice to get back into the mode of thinking bassin' now that spring is almost here
Old 03-18-06, 11:24 PM   #46
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've been fishing since I was 5. I started bass fishing around 1980, it has been unbelievable. The things you remember. Like when you caught the first largemouth, or smallie. It gets into your bones and stays there. Nothing is more challenging than trying to outsmart a fish with a piece of plastic.
Old 03-25-06, 02:59 PM   #47
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

always lip em. thats part of the "rush" of catching bass; for me at least.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-06, 06:05 PM   #48
JB

Its like a sense of satisfaction/completion when you get your thumb around her lip isn't it !

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.