Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-04-06, 10:06 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Senko style baits

Everyone is familiar with the Senko style baits made by Gary Yamamoto. I have yet to try this type of lure but I am planning to due to they're popularity. They don't look like much but they seem to produce. So I have a few questions. There are many manufacturers of this type of bait now. Which brand do you prefer? Favorite size and color and so on. Seems like watermellon and pumpkinseed colors are the rage now but I have yet to catch a single bass on any plastic bait in that color range. What is your prefered rigging method? A friend of mine just uses an aberdene hook weightless and lets it sit on the bottom and twitches it once in a while. Is it that easy? And lastly, your prefered tackle. I am assuming a spinning outfit with 10 pound test or so would work well. Thanks for any suggestions you might have for me.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 10:24 PM   #2
Rebbasser

There are a bunch of different baits of this type out there. My favorites are Tiki Sticks which are made by Wave worms and Yum Dingers made by Yum. You can find them pretty much anyplace that sels tackle. Colors-for Tiki Sticks I like watermelon/chartreuse swirl, baby bass/pearl swirl, and a redbug dip stick-a dark red color with a chartreuse tip on the tail. For Yum dingers I like Watermelon seed and baby bass/pearl laminate-baby bass on top and pearl on the bottom.

Quote:
A friend of mine just uses an aberdene hook weightless and lets it sit on the bottom and twitches it once in a while. Is it that easy?
Yep-pretty much. I fish them one of two ways:

Wacky

And Weedless:

Cast them out and work them slow with gentle twitches of the rod tip. I've caught a bunch deadsticking them-just letting them sit.

I throw them on a baitcaster with 12 lb flourocarbon line, but spinning tackle will work just fine.
Old 08-04-06, 10:33 PM   #3
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yep, I use a sweet potatoe pie Tiki Sick, on spinning gear with 10 lb mono, and a rod with a back bone is a plus, for better movement of the bait, and also a better hookset. Try a Jobee Pro hook, which is an offset hook, with a weight already attached.(see pic below)
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

You can buy these at Wal-mart.
bassking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 10:34 PM   #4
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I prefer the baits from MMiB, you tell him the color, scent, and firmness of the bait, and that's what you get, along with great service. In a pinch, I'll use the Tiki-Sticks, in both I like Watermelon Red Flake, some form of red, or Junebug.

I rig all of mine texas rigged, later in the year, when the water is warmer and the fish chase, I use a really tiny bullet sinker, and earlier in the year, I fish weightless on a 2/0 or 3/0 worm hook.

I throw mine with a Shimano Chronarch SF on a Fenwick Eagle, using 12lb. Silver Thread AN40. These baits weigh enough that spinnign gear isn't needed, at least to me.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 10:37 PM   #5
bassking22

Yep, hand poured baits are a plus, buy them if you can, and buy mmib, I've heard nothing but good stuff about him, I would try his stuff, but I'm in a bind for money right now.
Old 08-04-06, 10:43 PM   #6
keithdog

Ok, ya have me convinced. Is the 5 inch size a good general size to start with? Or am I better off with a 4 inch size. I have a 6-1/2 med heavy spinning rod with 12 pound line. Sounds like that would be a good outfit? Of course there is always my casting gear too. So many meathods, so little time!!!
Old 08-04-06, 10:56 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Sounds real good, Keith-I'd go with the 5". I only use the 4" in real clear water finesse situations. I prefer the 5.
Old 08-04-06, 11:04 PM   #8
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default good evening

good evening fishermen and women .
keithdog, ill answer your latest question first. 4 inchers definately have their place, but to be honest, I rarely throw them. For starters, I think the extra inch in a 5 inch bait gives it a bit more action, and the profile of the bait is not that much larger. Sometimes however for smallmouth bass, the 4 incher is just the way to go, period. 99% of the time for big bucketmouths though, ill toss the 5 inch.
Dampeoples is right though. I hand pour every bait, only after you order it, with your scent choice, firmness (my main pro staffer wareagle prefers em stiffer), color etc. If you dont like a color on my site (its a basic chart for a reason, i want to get those custom colors rolling) you can tell me a color you want, and ill work on it. Email you a picture of the bait and go from there. I worked up a 2 color sample for dampeoples a few weeks ago. I wont disclose the color (i prefer to keep any custom work confidential) but I think I nailed the color he was looking for.
And If you dont like the baits, for any reason, send em back and ill refund you in full.
Im not trying to say my baits are the best (for me, they truly are), but I do know I wont fish another store bought senko again. Hand poured baits, are just a different animal, and we truly care about what we do. If you decide to go with store bought, I really dont think you can beat an original senko (of the store bought brands). its what I fished before I started making my own.
Thanks for the kind words folks
Ryan of mmib
http://www.mymomisbecky.com
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 11:16 PM   #9
keithdog

I checked out your site MMIB and it looks good. I think you'll be hearing from me. Thanks everyone for clearing this all up for me!!!!!
Old 08-05-06, 09:40 AM   #10
bassking22

5 inches, and remember what kind of water your fishing-more natural colors in clear, and a bit more flashy, visible colors in muddy or stained water. Dont forget about scent and sound, if you fish muddy or stained waters, you might want to use a scent attractant lik CB's Hawg Sauce, or Spike-It. Also consider using worm rattles.
Old 08-05-06, 12:29 PM   #11
mymomisbecky

I am also offering CB's Hawg Sauce as a scent in my baits. Unfortunately it doesnt work pouring it with the plastic, but afterwards I marinade them in it if the customer wants that.
Old 08-05-06, 06:04 PM   #12
bassking22

That sounds cool, and when I have enough money, I'll buy some stuff from you, but right now I'm saving up to buy a new rod and reel.
Old 08-05-06, 07:57 PM   #13
mymomisbecky

bassking22, no worries. Im not in it to make money, corny as that sounds. I have a full time network administrator job that takes care of me. I do it first and foremost because I love to. No rush to place an order, having not made a million dollars in my first year in business wont stop me from offering the baits next year.
Im feeling a bit askew today. I just finished watching "On Golden Pond", a movie I hadnt seen since early early childhood. It brought back a lot of memories, good ones.
Look me up when you need your baits .
Old 09-01-06, 09:14 PM   #14
planxdownfall

Send a message via AIM to planxdownfall

will smallmouths hit 5 inch senkos? i just tried them today and go 1 bite. would i just be better off throwing in a tube or something. maybe i am not fishing them right, i donno
planxdownfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 09:35 PM   #15
mack

yea they will but i like 4 inch better..tubes in green pumpkin also work good..
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 09:41 PM   #16
planxdownfall

how do i fish senkos though? just used them today, i know i am doing something wrong
Old 09-01-06, 10:17 PM   #17
mack

i dead stick them alot..that is casting at structure, letting it sit for a while (i usually wait 30 seconds), twitching it, and letting it sit again...you watch your line shoot out or move unnaturally or you feel it..thats how you know your getting bites..
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 10:25 PM   #18
planxdownfall

cool thanks
Old 09-10-06, 05:48 PM   #19
MinnesotaAngler
BassFishin.Com Member

I frequent the BassResource.com forums and check in here every so often, and I couldn't resist this thread. Senkos are hot. Everyone over there has tried the senko and most have loved it. I know a few people that fish only this. It's worked very well for me, too. You are probably not gonna believe this, but the best color, it took me a while to believe it too, is methiolate. Yes, that is the hot pink color. It looks very unnatural in the water, but bass love it. Don't ask me why . Hope that helps.
MinnesotaAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 04:16 PM   #20
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Wacko Worms

I use them up by the hundred pack in three colors and two sizes. My standing order runs 89.00 per size and that gets me 600 Wacko Worms a year. Third year ending soon. I run out each year and may need to up my order next year. They work great and are much cheaper than Senkos..

Just my two cents..

Capt Mike
Old 09-11-06, 09:55 PM   #21
uplandguide
BassFishin.Com Member

Here in the Northeast Senko's are probly the hottest soft plastics used in the tournaments. I like Yamamoto's and Yum. Have had good success with Pumpkin/chart. tail. Rigging depends on were I'm fishing. If fishing matted grass or lilies I fish it weightless, rigged weedless and drag it across the top of the pads, let it drop into an opening and fish on! Also like to fish it wacky in rip rap with an Aberdeen hook. Have also had good success t-rigged and swim it just off bottom, Ka-pow!
uplandguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 01:32 PM   #22
Wishing2BFishing

MMIB, how did you make out with your Methiolate color? If my recollection is correct, you mentioned that you were trying to perfect this color. Did you nail it down?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 07:47 PM   #23
Vabass22

He did, and I have a pack, that I hope to fish this week. He nailed this color, and another color that I asked for, and I like his stuff alot.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-06, 02:47 PM   #24
pretjah

i skimmed through the thread and dont think i caught what i'm about to say...

another GREAT stick bait technique is to texas rig it backwards (hook the skinny end) put a nail weight (size depends on how fast a fall you want) and fish it in flooded brush and timber!
pretjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-06, 12:46 PM   #25
Vabass22

Yep, will be breaing in the new boat using this technique today, in the riprap. Its called plinking, and along with a chatterbait, works very well along a riprap dam. I fish it slow, lifting it, or hopping it, and letting it fall into the holes in rocks.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.