Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-28-05, 10:39 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default JackL, great advice on the Powerpro/Baitcaster

Thanks for the adivce of Powerpro on my Curado Baitcaster. It seems to works 1000 times better than mono, for when it does backlash some. I took off the mono on my other one(daiwa), and replaced it also. I used the baitcaster yesterday for the first time without anytime real downtime due to backlashes. I went back to my notes and read, Baitcasting 101 and set up my brakes, and drag much tighter than a good baitcasting guy would use. Yes it takes off some distance, but man it makes it so nice not to have the backlashes. As I get better, the brakes, and adjustments can be changed, but it works out great. But the Powerpro works great, I'll probably try my Firleine next time, just to compare. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 08:40 PM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: JackL, great advice on the Powerpro/Baitcaster

Lizards, I am so proud of you for using a baitcaster. ;D ;D ;D Soon you will be casting like the pros. While your learning, Try to keep both hands on the reel .The small amount of time to bring the hand back to reel, don't like alot but its enough to make you miss some bites.Bad habits are hard to break,now is the time to learn correctly. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:50 PM   #3
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

That does it. I am taking off the floro and putting power pro on the curado. I've been practicing in this darn cold weather and maybe I can get used to the braid easier than the floro.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:55 PM   #4
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

grasshopper,it was only a matter of time before you realized power pro can bring inner peace(by assuring them big basses don't get off) ;D
as far as the baitcaster...don't hurt yourself ;D
seriously,it is a great tool to have.you'll see......
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:57 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Bassin Bob, If you will, look at the Tuf-Line XP braid & the power pro and see which line is smoother.I liked the power pro, but I really like the Tuf-Line better.Either way you will like the braid better than the flourocarbon line.Again that is only my opinion.P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:59 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Great. We've been telling him that for a couple of years now and he gives credit to JACK ?!?!?!?!?!?

Just kidding, amigo ;D-glad you made the jump!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 12:50 AM   #7
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

UNCLE LIZ,
As the coating wears down the power pro will just keep getting better with use. You will start getting more distance as the PP line limbers up.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 01:03 AM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Bob, you will like the PowerPro-you will not hesitate to throw into the nastiest stuff that you wouldn't even dream of throwing mono into.
Old 03-01-05, 11:38 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1109597984;start=0#5 date=02/28/05 at 20:59:42]Great. We've been telling him that for a couple of years now and he gives credit to JACK ?!?!?!?!?!?

Just kidding, amigo ;D-glad you made the jump![/quote]

I just happen to remember specifically JackL stating to put it on my Curado, when I asked about it specifically. I do know you have touted Powerpro as long as I can remember, JackL's post just sticks in my head for some reason. Probably because he went into detail as to how to set it up with HOT sauce and all. I appreciate everybody's advice from here I've received. I wouldn't be as good of an angler as I am without a lot of the folks from this site. Not that I'm great or anything, but I feel pretty comfortable going out in any conditions nowadays.

Lizards
Old 03-01-05, 12:00 PM   #10
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Well Edith, I think our little boy has grown up! ! !l
Old 03-01-05, 12:18 PM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

As I said on another post:

You have come far and done well, grasshopper ;D!

Old 03-01-05, 10:18 PM   #12
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Lizards,

I put Fireline on my second baitcast reel and it worked good for me on Sunday. I didn't get 8 or 9 hours in like you did but for the 1/2 hour I got in before my hands turned to ice cubes I didn't have a single back lash.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 11:44 PM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Strap link=board=MessBoards;num=1109597984;start=0#11 date=03/01/05 at 20:18:50]Lizards,

I put Fireline on my second baitcast reel and it worked good for me on Sunday. I didn't get 8 or 9 hours in like you did but for the 1/2 hour I got in before my hands turned to ice cubes I didn't have a single back lash.[/quote]

Glad you got out. We'll have to go to the coal pit for some real fishing whenever this freakin weather lets us :P Anyway thanks for the info on the Fireline, how do you like it, you already know what I think about it

Lizards
Old 03-02-05, 07:27 PM   #14
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

UNCLE LIZ,
I don't know how you have your Curado adjusted, but I have found the best weight adjustment is either three in/three out or four in/two out. The factory setting is four in/two out.

JackL
Old 03-02-05, 11:07 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes I did go in and put 4 out, with 2 in. Based on the Baitcaster 101 someone had posted here(use more braking than neccesary till you get used to it). I realize it's a lot more brake than I'll need later down the road, but it does help with the backlashes for now. And I will change them again after I've gained some ability and practice. Distance isn't near as important to me right now, as keeping from backlashes.

Lizards
Old 03-05-05, 10:24 AM   #16
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Quote:
Anyway thanks for the info on the Fireline, how do you like it, you already know what I think about it
I got the fireline for Christmas so I haven't been able to really test it out yet. I spooled it up on the reel I'm going to put on my pitchin and flippin rod that I haven't got the guides replaced on yet. Just let me know when you're heading down to the pit and want a fishing partner.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 11:22 AM   #17
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Strap link=board=MessBoards;num=1109597984;start=0#15 date=03/05/05 at 08:24:14]

I got the fireline for Christmas so I haven't been able to really test it out yet. I spooled it up on the reel I'm going to put on my pitchin and flippin rod that I haven't got the guides replaced on yet. Just let me know when you're heading down to the pit and want a fishing partner.[/quote]

I'm going tommorrow if you want to go along, I'll be leaving my house about 5am Your more than welcome to come along. I may depending on weather, home inspections, work hit Eagle Creek monday for a few hours. You probably have to work, but perhaps a 1/2 day. Let me know.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.